GT86 5000 Mile Review
04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Okay, this week the odometer tripped over the 5000 mark which means I'm halfway to my first service. It has taken me a bit over 2 months to get this far, so now I've had a chance to live with the car, how am I finding it?

Well the short answer is that it's been a very nice play to be. It's reasonably comfortable, though I admit I wouldn't mind a little less road noise. To combat this I've upgraded my stereo system which has significantly improved the situation. I found the standard stereo lacking and the upgrade option for the JBL system isn't enough really for what I want, though it is a vast improvement over standard. I had a demo car for 24 hours with the JBL system so had a bit of time to evaluate it.

In respect of the handling, this car has great balance. Understeer is minimal unless you are hamfisted and the car can be steered on the throttle at will. Obviously this is relative child's play in second gear but on track I found with a bit of deft trail braking and subsequent weight transfer I could get the car to properly slide in 3rd gear nearly on the lock stops. This was very do-able at Peel corner for those who know Anglesey circuit well. Needless to say on the trackday plenty of rubber was laid down and it would seem my passengers very much approved of such antics! Also I found tha the Michelin Primacy HP tyres seem to take abuse very well. On track it would seem like the grip tended to dissapear after a few laps, although once you get to this point and aclimatise to a more wayward rear end, it does stay quite consistent which really does allow you to play. Sure grippier tyres would equate to quicker lapping, but you can still peddle the car at a fair old pace and it really allows you to adjust the attitude of the car mid corner. In short this car is just made to drift. I found that on the track day, once I got to grips with it, I spent most of my time giggling. I hate to agree with Jeremy Clarkson on anything if I'm honest but he's right about the car making you smile a lot. Smile

I drive 400 miles or so a week for work and have a rather decent daily commute where the traffic is never that heavy. I've found the car to be predictable in all weathers, though the Primacy tyres don't work particulary well in cold temperatures, say less than 5C. In this respect when it's really cold I admit it does seem to make sense to not turn all the aids off. It's not that I feel I can't catch it but it almost seems the sensible option to not do more than put in 'Sport' mode and turn everything off when grip levels are unpredictable.

In respect of comfort the heated seats have been a boon and the driving position is simply spot on. It's a comfortable place to be. I've been averaging around 32-36mpg in a mixture of driving which is based around my commute. I can live with this sort of economy, so the car is practical for me. I have found that this is a car that generates a whole load of attention, most of it positive but I do find that some of those younger drivers tend to want to race you. Obviously I'm too old for that now, but I do admit at times it's difficult not to treat every quiet roundabout as playtime.

Overall and now with the improved sound system, this is a car I look forward to driving everytime I get in it. Having the exhaust and induction kit adds to the experience of course.

I think this is about the time for me to thank Toyota and Subaru for making a car just for me. I love it! Smile

1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, Injen Induction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 11:12 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
A little vid of me having fun at the hairpin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFwfwRfQ...e=youtu.be

Preparation (I washed it):

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - GT86 5000 Mile Review]

I've also upgraded the stereo stuff a bit:

04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Awesome Lauren!
Thanks for sharing and writing it down for us.
Please keep us updatet. Thumbs up!

Aram.
Find all posts by this user
04-13-2013, 09:50 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Nic write up. I would agree with you on all points.
Any other upgrade plans? Suspension, wheels?

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Cheers. Smile

I don't think the suspension needs upgrading at the moment. In respect of the wheels, I'm liking them as they never look dirty!

I may well review this in the future, but I think I've spend enough for now and will look to spending my money having fun in the car. Smile

06-05-2013, 09:35 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Okay, I have booked my car in for service this Friday. Whilst it's there I will be having a Milltek over pipe fitted which basically replaces the 2nd catalyst. So the cat bit that's replaced does have a silencer, so it shouldn't make the exhaust any louder really (well not much!). Then the over pipe replaces the tortuous routing of the stock exhaust. I can expect a few more horses by the looks of things. Smile

Some detail here:

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/Toyot...RZ-Exhaust

Cat replacement:

Over pipe (goes over chassis member)

09-02-2013, 09:15 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
question, do you really need the second cat or is it just for cold start emission pass?

I have seen more of these over pipes. Waste of Toyota mnot to put it in from the factory.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
09-11-2013, 02:58 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
You don't need the second cat. It's just a Euro 5/US emissions requirement.

Car will pass the MOT with one cat.

Car has done nigh on 20K miles now. Literally just got back from a 2500 mile trip to Italy and back via all the Alpine passes. Smile

09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Lauren Wrote:It's reasonably comfortable, though I admit I wouldn't mind a little less road noise.

a friend of mine recently purchased an FR-S (USA), and although he only has about 160 miles on his... I too noted the rather significant road noise.

also... compared to a slightly tuned 4AG... the FA20 still sounds like a flat four Angry

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
09-11-2013, 06:18 PM
GT86 5000 Mile Review
Well, it is a flat four. I guess it depends upon whether you like the sound or not.

It does rev well though. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toyota building new WRC- eligible rally car gt86 ditn 0 4,754 11-11-2013 10:53 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Post pictures of GT86's ! zenki 3 7,592 01-14-2013 05:06 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Pollfuck: get the GT86 to the top of autoblog.nl! banpei 4 6,100 12-05-2012 11:11 AM
Last Post: Ivan141