Family man's ae86
12-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Family man's ae86
(12-16-2019 12:20 AM)fantapants Wrote:  Lols

Been busy trying to finish a side project for my wife.

Being Christmas, birthday and anniversary all in a few days, tried to come up with something nice that didn't cost anything lol #povolife

She has wanted a chess board for years.[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's effing awesome!
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Family man's ae86
I'll wager she'll only let you play as the rusty pieces

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-17-2019, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2019 01:16 PM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
Neither of us have a clue how to play. But she has wanted to learn for years a d always wanted an airloom kinda piece...

So today's adventures ... slow pulse. Never done much slow pulse work, and the little I had done was frustrating.

But in an effort to continue learning and improving, I had a crack at the bendy boy with pulse welds.

Came out reasonably good. A few bits got away from me, and it took me a while to get the hang of the tungsten direction, but all in all, it came up pretty Mickey mouse.

The exhaust is essentially done now as far as I can till the engine goes in.

The pins all arrived today so I cna start fucking up the ecu wire in lol.[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

Not sure why it doubled up some of the pics... sorry lads.

Also made a start on trying to tidy up the rear flares. Years aback I did front flares on the rear. Looked ok from 10 feet away lol, but in the internal stuff was terrible.

It's still terrible, but slightly less shithouse now lol.... good thing no one will see it. Oh and there is a heap more tyre clearance now.

Managed to keep the exhaust almost entirely up under the chassis rails... maybe a few mm in it, buy clearance will be wayyyyy better than the stock exhaust. [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
12-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Family man's ae86
Those are some sexy welds.... I'm assuming they are TIG'd, if not, I may need to consider investing in a more modern MIG.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Family man's ae86
Haha yeah man. Tig.

I was a fabricator before I got sick. Virtually all my work was chemical stainless stuff and sanitary stainless.

Getting some regular torch time has been good for getting back into the swing somewhat.

12-18-2019, 10:26 PM
Family man's ae86
So what do they say about getting cocky ?

Yesterday I was feeling quite accomplished. I had managed to get some chrissy shoping done for my wife, and had been on the recieving end of some very large generosity.

I had just started making dinner (pizza and garlic bread) when the Mrs comes in looking somewhat distraught.

Turns out one of the chickens had died. So we set about trying ti bury her before dealing with telling the young fella one of his pet chickens was gone.

Decided to bury her out the side along with the other chook who passed a year or so back.

Nunbnuts here manages to punch the water main.....

Que 2 hours of mad scramble trying to come up with a solution for the night till I can get to Bunnings (hardware shop) today for a proper fix...

#thereifixedit used self sealing silicone tape, but it kept bulging and splitting. So then I chopped up some 31.8 chromemolly tube, wrapped it in some radiator hose and clamped it all shut with some vice grips and stainless tube clamps lol. [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

12-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Family man's ae86
So managed a proper fix.

Have left it uncovered for the day to check for leaks, but so far apples.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

12-20-2019, 09:48 AM
Family man's ae86
The trick is to do the chickens in before they die of natural causes and then cook them, but I'm not sure if I'd have the heart for it myself..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Family man's ae86
Hahaha yeah man.

They are basically pets now. We get fuck all eggs from them (now 1 chicken and 1 duck left) but they are quite entertaining and have heaps of character....

01-23-2020, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2020 11:23 AM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
So nothing really big on the fab side lately.

Hit a bit of a wall over Chrissy with cash.

But have managed to stay busy while I wait for dining and ordered bits to finish the fuel system

Had a grand plan to come up with some long throttle trumpets. I chopped the ever living hell out of the stock intake manifold and salvaged the stock trumpets.

These are fairly heavily trimmed for clearance, so I spent a while filling out the flare. They have some natural bends that would help clear everything including the bonet lol.

Alas this just didn't work well enough to be happy with. The idea was sound I just lack the skills for aluminium welding to be happy with the outcome. [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

So then I set about a second plan.

I've wanted a press for a while but never really had the motivation to make one.

So after I broke my 5kg sledge hammer trying to make a plug for pressing something, I bit the bullet and started welding...

I made a press.

I used the press

I broke the press... #bigtrainsmalltunell [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

So is at about fixing things.

Now it's much heavier. But has survived.

The little 8t bottle jack ran out of grunt for my initial plan. I wanted to make a die and plug to press my own stainless trumpet ends out of so I could then weld them to 2inch chemical tube.

For a bit of a laugh I tried some spare tube I had to see how far I could flare it in situ.

Reasonable success yo be fair. If I can get a 3 or 4mm more flare on it with a larger jack, I'll call it a win. These will weld nicely to 2inch exhaust flanges, which happily enough have the perfect bolt spacing also to mount on the throttles.

I can vary the lengths easily and also add in perfect mandrel bends to clear stuff if I need. [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banpei's new TA60 family cruiser banpei 277 239,230 04-03-2024 09:47 PM
Last Post: banpei