Euro tour summer 05
11-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Euro tour summer 05
lol.

maaaaybe, if everything works out we'll both come Smile

"Sometimes giving up isn't the answer we're looking for, but its the only answer we have"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Euro tour summer 05
Hi Jon,

I'd love to do it... need to confirm nearer the time though obviously, but it's something that has to be done.
Find all posts by this user
11-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Euro tour summer 05
eldiablo and mysalf have a ringvisit on plan as well for next year. i think we will come up for the meeting!
11-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Euro tour summer 05
I'm always in for a round on the ring so count me inSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Euro tour summer 05
The problem with people crashing is one i have considered, the 'ring section may be better at the end of the trip rather than the beggining for this reason. I would hope that everyone would try and behave with a degree of restraint whilst still enjoying themselves. It will be all about driving within your own limits and trying not to let the ego take over too much !

The whole tour needs to work a bit like this, we don't need anybody arrested for instance as this will cause problems for the whole group.

I know this sounds a little heavy, especially for a Monday morning, the trip will be about having fun.

I have 5 or so people interested in the UK. A rally driver near me, James who was the UK D1 champ, don't know much about your driving prowess Will, myself who considers himself fairly unexperienced although i have been sliding cars around all my driving life, Matt who is a fairly new driver and new to Corollas and maybe Jamey who raced a TE71 as is building a GrpA AE86.

I will try and start firming up on dates etc. If anyone is interested i have the proposed route set up in MS Autoroute 2004 that i can email to them
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Euro tour summer 05
Hmmz The Ring is dangerous knowing i was there in April this year the road is nowhere the same alot of people get overreactet there and you pay for the wall you smash.

There are loads of corners where your car can suddenly lose traction because of repaired piece. I don't think the ring is the best place for fun driving only if the hachi is track prepared.

Zandvoort is more maintaned and better all around so that no prob to be driving but knowing the hard stuff of the Ring its more than just a circuit there are alot of bad coners and it isn't to wide on alot of spots.

I will drive it again and again and again but knowing i won't hit it to my limit cause i am not experienced enough its better to try a much better circuit seeing the road compound etc

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Euro tour summer 05
Robo,

that's the only way to go around the ring. Take it slow, take it easy, you can even loose it when you think you are well below your limits, because of the many blind corners, very uneven ground, and as you already mentioned, the many different types of pavement (although that is something they have been working on). The biggest danger around this time of year though is wettness. Some places on the ring dry quickly, some places never dry up this time of year. They can give you some nasty surprises.

That said, this time of year almost nobody drives the ring so its the ideal time to drive a very slow lap on the ring and study it.

However Jon wants to plan this trip sometime in the summer, the good thing is that there is very little chance of a wet track, that means there will be plenty of grip aslong as you don't underestimate the track. The downside is that in the weekends its much to busy to drive safely. Best is to plan the trip to the ring on one of the mondays its open. Only locals and diehards will be on the track on those days meaning you can do a lap with hardly any other traffic.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Euro tour summer 05
Robokill, you have just described the all the reasons why the Ring is such a fantastic place. You can go to boring well maintained circuits everywhere else.

Going fast shouldn't be on your mind unless you know every corner by heart. There are a couple tight corners that are invisible because of hills or trees. Even excellent driving skills won't save you if you carry to much speed into them.

It would be best do drive a couple of laps with a more experienced person. After that the best thing would be to make some sort of train with someone who knows the braking points etc in front.
What u usually see though is that the people in the back quickly get overconfident and head off for themselves.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Euro tour summer 05
sounds a bit stupid i know but get yourself a playstation and grand tourismo 4. they will have the nordschleife in the game. at least you can remember which corner is next ... left or right? Smile

and for getting arrested because of speeding. i strongly recomend the italy side of the alps. the italians like speeding. the police man will wave you through Hurray! especially if they notice it´s a club excursion.
11-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Euro tour summer 05
Mind you, a game is no substitute for the real thing. But indeed, it is a nice way to atleast get to know all the corners. So is downloading onboard video's of people driving the ring (there are some good ones on http://www.8200rpm.com in the video section).

I hope GT4 will be out soon....

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AEU86 Euro map ZaX 120 104,456 08-11-2008 08:49 AM
Last Post: banpei
  Is AE86 pop-up lights Legal in EURO? AZNWOKZ 10 9,606 04-28-2008 07:04 PM
Last Post: speedyrolla
  Tour last week speed-inc 18 12,999 11-26-2007 04:13 AM