Engine problems! PLEASE help!
08-20-2005, 08:53 PM
hi!

i dont write much but now im gonna go all out.. please read and help. tnx!

so yesterday i passed MOt and stuff and finnaly got the thing registred. all that whit a lot off begging and sad puppy looks.. "mister i spent all my monney on this car and i will continue to do so.. just please let me pass.." and similar; so im running legally now.

PROBLEM NO 1:

but as soon as my joy of actually driving a street legal car began, so have my engine problems. ironically, on my first street legal drive i noticed wierd pinging sound. so i checked the sparkplugs. when i disconected the first sparkplug the sound stopped. so i pulled them all out to discover that plugs 2, 3 and 4 are okay, a bit shaded, but no1 plug was death-black, burned to oblivion.. still with this problems car acceralated very good. probbaly the same as when i hadnt had this problem.

so what can this be? note only 1 plug was black, only when i cut the 1 plug does the pinging stop. car goes just fine.. i have ridden a bit yesterday and did some doughnuts (at least my lsd still works)..

PROBLEM NO 2:

today it started raining and i just couldnt resist the sliperry surface-sucky tires combo so i gave it a shot on an empty parking lot.. drove there for an hour or so, and no changes were noticed. the pinging noise was still there but the car drove just the way a 21 year old should.

then i went home to do a couple of laps on gt4.. 2 hours later i went for another drive w/ 86. i went to a "circle-crossing" (hope you understand) and drove in circles trying to drift. the grip was really god so i didnt drift in stead i just made some 5 or 6 laps as fast as i could.. then i noticed a HUGE cloud of white smoke (like a camaro ZL1 was doing a burnouT). its just that it wasnt tire smoke but oil burning in my engine producing this REALLY HUGE smoke cloud.. i thought that was it, im done for.. then the car choked a bit, and i went on as nothing ever happened, the car drove as b4, and accelerated as b4.. :confussed:

i came home and opened the hood and noticed A-lot of oil spilled around my airbox.. so i thought that some oil line broke or something, but there are no oil lines nearby. opened the airbox and discovered my soggy airfilter, dripping, covered in oil.. there was also oil dripping out of my throttle body & manifold !!!

so what the fuck happened? oil dripping from manifold, car drives as it was b4.. and no more white smoke from my exhaust.. and the oil level was still at HI mark.. wtf??!

PLEAAASe help me on this 2 issues, im scared to drive my car anywhere now..

tnx a lot, sašo.
Find all posts by this user
08-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Ok, a couple of things first.

STOP DRIVING THE CAR WHILE IT PINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are probably experiencing detonation..a very harmful situation that will destroy your engine if you keep driving.

Problem B is a well known quirk with AE86. During hard lateral forces, oil comes out through the carter decompression tube (what the hell is that thing called for real?) into the inlet manifold//thus making you produce nice puffy clouds of smoke. Build yourself a catchcan and often check oil level..you'll be ok.

Problem 1 is much more serious though..It might be just a faulty injector causing a lean situation. Take out the suspected injector others...has the pinging also moved, then you have and switch it with one of the found your culprit..If not, then report back and we'll search further.

Might be in Ljublana again in the second week of September, so if you haven't found it by then I could take a look in person.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Which of the following pictures best resembles your sparkplug?:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/sp...qread2.asp

[By the way..this is again NoHachi cleverly disguised as Ivan]

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Apolan, first congrats on passing the mot Smile

I don't have an idea for the first problem, but for the second problem ZaX posted an how to build yourself an oil catch canister :

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=47

I have already build it, it is just waiting to install. I used the soap canister same as Zax, which I bought in Lesnina center Brdo.

Regards
Andrej
08-21-2005, 12:33 AM
problem 2 check ivan its standard ae86 knowledge.

prblem 1 have you chedked if they spark ????

try to keep the cable from the sprak plug near a piece of earth metal and let the starter run if it doesn't spark its just the cable if it does it could be you lost a cylinder Confused

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
08-21-2005, 11:08 AM
tnx guys for an instant reply!

sparkplug does work, and it mostly resembles the second pic on that link that NoHachi posted. dry faulting.

i shall look into making that oil catch can. glad thats nothing serious.

ill try to swich the 1 and 2 injectors and report if the pinging moved.

thanks again!

lp, saš
08-21-2005, 07:30 PM
just something i forgot to ask about...

when i step on the gas just a bit in every gear except in neutral, a ruff whine can be heard from underneeth me.. or maybe from the back.. but only when im in gear driving and stepping on the gas (lightly). what can that be? its funny how the noise is there only when i step on the accelerator..
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Ah..that would be your differential whining..another typical AE86 problem..Stay tuned for more updates on how you can fix that particluar problem.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-21-2005, 09:46 PM
i have changed the lsd oil (castrol hypol ls 90) could that be the problem?

another question on the oil-catch-can topic. one tube goes from cam cover to the can and from can goes where? and what do i do w& that manifold inlet? just plug it?

tnx for the help!

lp, saš
08-21-2005, 09:51 PM
The can goes in the middle of the original tube. So from cam cover to can to inlet manifold.

But I wouldn't worry as much about the oil problem as I would about the detonation. Don't start messing about with cans until you find out what exactly is going on..Much more serious problem.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,714 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,146 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  TUV RHD AE86 Germany (help please) 4dori 9 5,995 07-17-2019 07:42 PM
Last Post: Hachigo83
  Problems Mintex M1155 pads Dino86 9 8,042 07-04-2017 11:22 AM