Engine problems! PLEASE help!
08-22-2005, 07:41 AM
I also have the whinnig, I think it is the propeller shaft. Quite the same whining was heard on the company's subaru legacy, 4x4...

Regards
Andrej
Find all posts by this user
08-22-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm also experiencing the whining noise from my Diff. I expect to change the oil when I get a change in hope that it may solve it.

However I don't know about you guys but I would probably suggest changing the spark plugs in hope that it may solve the problem. It could have just been a previous owner who made a bit of a balls up when doing his timing.
08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
That would explain the sooty sparkplug Jezza, but not the pinging noise. It offcourse allways a good idea to change the sparkplug first.

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a faulty injector. You sometimes see a eratic spray pattern from those, leading to fluctuating air/fuel ratio's..both rich and lean. Other problems could be the timing (are all the SP-leads connected correctly?), and possibly even the intake manifold itself.

PS: Dreja: propellor shaft doesn't really have anything to produce a whine. Whining is usually either a gearing problem or a bearing problem. I suspect that most of the problems are related to the nose bearing of the pinion..don't trust don't crush collars one bit...working on finding out these things soon.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-22-2005, 11:55 AM
TRD makes solid spacers that you can use instead of the crush collars...but it's more time consuming to install it with those, that's also the reason that manufacturers switched to crush collars.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
To solve your problem number 2 you can also consider switching cam covers. I have done that a long time ago and had no problem since (and of course I didn't install the catch can).

Problem number 1 seems scary. Watch out for worn out crackshaft and conrod bearings. If detected too late it will trash your crankshaft.

Check that injector switching first. Seems easier to fix!

Good luck!

Best regards
08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
And Apolan, I think what you mean with circle-crossing is a roundabout Thumbs up!
08-23-2005, 02:59 PM
hello.

today i checked the problem again. i was getting the same pinging sound in idle and in low revs. it seemd to be better in hi revs. and the pinging did not stop after disconecting the first cylinder! so i thought ignition timing. i borrowed a strato-light and checked the ignition timing. according to the manual it was waaaay off. i was reading some 20 degrees BTDC. in manual it says it should be 10'BTDC. so i retarded it for 10 degrees.. the pinging in low revs and idle has stopped! though if i rev it up a bit to about 4000+ rpm i get even harder pinging! i did not try to swich the injectors, since the pinging was not restricted only to first cylinder..

greets, saš
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Did you make sure that all your plug leads are connected in the proper firing order? Sounds definately like some sort of timing problem.
Did you short the number 10 connector while doing the timing check? Could be that the engine was still controlling it.

Sounds like your timing is way off...

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-23-2005, 03:26 PM
did i short the no. 10 cnnector??? what does that mean?
08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
what should he timing be? 10'btdc? i think the leads are connected corectly, because the car accelerates quite well..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,735 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,156 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  TUV RHD AE86 Germany (help please) 4dori 9 6,018 07-17-2019 07:42 PM
Last Post: Hachigo83
  Problems Mintex M1155 pads Dino86 9 8,053 07-04-2017 11:22 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Carb question please help MIGGZFSU 3 4,216 03-29-2017 03:06 PM