Clutch problem
05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Clutch problem
Hi all

I did a search on this previously (Entered any topic that specifically had clutch problem/issue specified) but nothing came up.

After I swapped to 20v blacktop in my AE86 I have had issues getting my clutch to work.
I.e I start the car, and press the clutch pedal all the way and try to put it in gear=wont engage.
I tried Reverse to be sure, but nope, grinds..

The clutch is the same as I had on the old 16v block (And it worked flawlessly prior to swap)
That yellow ATC/ACT/whatever clutch, soft disc (Not sintered/pucked), not worn, 200mm flywheel in good condition, clutch in good condition, clutch master in good condition (No corrosion inside the cylinder), changed slave cylinder for good measure (Aisin-OEM)
No leaks, changed hydraulic line as well.

I installed the clutch & cover plate the only way it would assemble (Seemingly not possible to install it the other way around so thank god for that lol), bulged side pointing towards pressure plate I think (All I know is it wouldnt go on one way rly lol).

The clutch pedal feels fine going in all the way, same resistance level as on my TA40 but clutch apparently does not get pushed (Changed clutch release bearing, spigot bearing, flywheel bolts etc)

So everything is new minus the clutch disc, cover plate and flywheel, all of which worked perfectly with the 16v engine, and that was even with leaking old ebay non-oem slave cylinder ...... Banging head

Hope I dont have to take out engine and tranny AGAIN now that I already used a lot of money on tranny oil and completely broke economy.
God knows the tranny wont come off when engine is in the car because engine/tranny-firewall spacing is simply too extremely small to fit any sort of tool to remove the engine-bellhousing bolts.
I do not even money for a bit of candy thanks to unexplainable problems like this Sad

Help, please! Smile

Edit:
I have now adjusted the clutch pedal all the way out and bled the line again to see if it gives a few extra precious mm`s difference on the release fork, put the battery on charging (Forgot to turn off the kill switch when testing the clutch yesterday, so headlights been draining the battery dry..) and will test again but I dont think it`ll matter..

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
Find all posts by this user
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Clutch problem
Bad pressure plate, bent/bad clutch disk or cracked clutch fork.
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Clutch problem
I would check the push rod in the slave cylinder. They typically have an adjust screw that will allow you to remove excessive clearance between the rod and the fork. Dave W
05-31-2013, 06:00 PM
Clutch problem
On the 16v 4age it is possible to install the clutch plate the wrong way around...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clutch pedal problem andee17 3 4,286 07-25-2013 11:57 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  4agZe problem solved - 99% IC problem Okami 41 33,248 07-12-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: Okami
  AC problem? Idle problem? KD2229 3 4,407 08-19-2009 02:08 AM
Last Post: KD2229
  Clutch Master Cylinder and Clutch Slave Cylinder fitment? christsang7 2 4,869 07-01-2009 07:48 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  clutch problem peter 18 12,455 09-28-2008 10:10 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr