Break in procedure for Brand New CWP + LSD
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Everyone

If I happen to have both item (New) CWP + LSD installed at te same time. Which Break in procedure should I perform first? Follow the Kazz instruction and doing figure of 8 slowly or do the start and stop driving as what everyone recommend here?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
20vWill set up my 4.7 diff
Here is the recommended break in.

AE86 CWP&/DIFF BREAK-IN

These are competition gearsets so are designed to run with a higher backlash than a stock Toyota CWP

- this keeps a bigger margin for under-load gear mesh consistency,
- allows better cooling (more lubricant space),
- and improves reliability if you ever get the gearset hot during high load/ high speed use.

Backlash range is 0.20 - 0.25mm, adjust within this range to get the best mesh pattern,
I recommend a slightly low & slightly toe biased pattern for strongest mesh under load.

For pinion preload I recommend the high end of the toyota factory specs for new bearings.

For carrier preload I recommend as much as possible (ie 100+ ft lb of torque at the carrier adjuster nuts) to keep the diff held strongly in place and prevent ring gear deflection under load.

All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating!!

I recommend covering the ring gear teeth in the Redline Friction Modifier/Break-in Additive, and turning the pinion several times (so then it too is coated) prior to re-fitting the diff unit tothe axle.

Then I recommend using a superior synthetic gear oil such as the Redline 75W90 for break-in to best cope with the extra heat of break-in.
After driving very lightly and slowly for the first 10-15 miles,
you must let the differential cool for at least 2 hours before proceeding.

Drive very easy, light and slow (30-40 mph is OK) for 500 miles before loading the differential (ie no faster driving/drifting).
Normal gentle urban driving is ideal.

It would be even better to change the gear oil after 100 miles or so, then again at 500 miles.

After this 500 mile period, progressively faster speeds may be driven for short distances (less than 15 miles), but let the differential cool before continuing during the first 50-100 miles of higher loads or faster speeds.

Change the gear oil after the first 500 miles!

This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.

ANY OVERLOADING OR OVERHEATING CAN CAUSE THE GEAR OIL TO
BREAKDOWN AND THE RING & PINION WILL WEAKEN.

Proper break-in is a pain but 100% worth doing.
Most people dont do it properly then their gears will soften and wear quicker over time, and start whining etc.

http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
in short do the CWP first and only then the LSD...

AE86 ex-daily
07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I would think do the LSD figure 8s as you dont violate any of the above rules doing that!

Ask 20vWill over on DW.

http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86
07-08-2010, 01:02 PM
So do the figure of 8 first?
07-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Initial 15-20 minutes of driving then cool down on R&P

Figure 8's for 30-40 minutes. (light throttle on straight's, no throttle on turns)

Change oil.

R&P break-in for 500mi

Change oil.

Drive.

Andrew
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one Snejk 22 16,593 04-01-2008 04:46 PM
Last Post: Snejk
  Break In Secrets by MotoMan Apolan 10 8,534 02-04-2007 09:03 PM
Last Post: Apolan
  Not understanding LSD - how LSD works surfingdrums 11 14,968 09-13-2006 11:58 AM
Last Post: Mux213
  cwp fitting kipsy 5 5,159 05-16-2006 06:47 PM
Last Post: kipsy
  New wheels.. Brand new .. Joe Ae86 Irl 12 17,029 10-11-2005 04:04 PM
Last Post: Joe Ae86 Irl