Best setup for drifting...
01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Okami Wrote:For me its no dream - I am either gonna get there with or without a turbo!
I am just very eager to learn!

In my humble opinion: you can either drift or you cannot.
If you can't you will never learn no matter how good your car is.
A better car can only disguise your sucking a bit better.

So before pooring loads of cash in your car and never getting there it might be wiser to see if you have what it takes.

Oh, and racing is easy?? Seriously.
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I dont mean racing is easier than anything at all...
what I meant was DRIFTING is harder than Racing in General... That seems correct... right?
At least I think so.

But em... my question is : What kind of diff does my AE86 have for me to buy another diff like cusco or kaaz

Isn't my diff on my 86 levin coupe allready a 2way?
Couldn't I just slap on the Final Gear to begin with? Without buying a diff?
(bit confused but hey stupid is as stupid does Tongue)

Can somebody provide me a link where I can buy a proper 2way diff that's better than my stock diff?
And maybe also a link to a good final gear?

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
No I don't think racing is easier than drifting at all actually.

Start with reading about the basics on diffs first mate.
There is enough about them on the net.
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Okami Wrote:I dont mean racing is easier than anything at all...
what I meant was DRIFTING is harder than Racing in General... That seems correct... right?

Must resist......

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
NoHachi Wrote:
Okami Wrote:I dont mean racing is easier than anything at all...

Must resist......

HAHAHA! Everybody is entitled to his or hers opinion thats why its the shit-internet Tongue

But anyhow...

Can somebody provide me with a 2way diff including final gear where I could buy it for a reasonable price and be sure of good quality?
Also... what comes into mind when swapping it underneath my car?
Is it a hard job to do?

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
What problem do you encounter when driving your car that you are trying to solve? Depending on the problem, the answer can be a lot of things, geometry changes, brake balance changes, shock stiffness adjustments etc.
Lots of drifters here that can point you in the right direction with your problems.

please give a description of the part of the turn/drift that you are having the problems, turn in, steady state or recovery/exit and state the behaviour of the car.
Depending on setup, 1.5 way or 2 way can make a difference.

If there is no problem, then I recommend TRD, since they have the prettiest stickers. Thumbs up!

01-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I think I allready have 1.5 way lsd - at least thats what I think...
Dunno if its a 2way or not...

But the european versions - what DIFF did they give us?
Ive been talking to Pat and he said that it had to do with a certain percentage...

I remember I drifted a lil bit (not on purpose) on an freeway piece... In the rain its fairly easy but when I really start trying for example in the rain it doesnt give me much control...

I have tried also on dry pavement but this to me is even more scare - my tires arent that supergood but my feeling says it should be easier to get the tail out but it doesn't...

So what about a 2way diff with the final gear... where can I buy relatively cheap A SET and can somebody tell me how hard it is to put it on my car or is there somebody that can do it for a small price?

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
01-07-2011, 09:16 PM
A two way will make it even harder to do baby drifts. The problem you're having is a push introduced by the diff when applying throttle before the car has rotated. You learn to rotate the car with an open diff or part worn LSD, its the easiest and then you naturally progress.

You are throwing parts at a driver issue... Don't believe me, give Jasper or Peanut the keys for 5 minutes. This is something you'll see when you decide to go to a drift day. Have an expert drive the car to instruct you, and they will tell you exactly what your car needs. This would be the wise way, but my intuition tells me you will tread the path deep into "We told you so" territory. Evil ghe ghe

01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks again noHachi...

This is all a learning experience for me.
I will admit one thing... and that is that I want to spend some money on my baby!

If I hear that I have to get a 2way diff including final gear then I will do so!
Maybe I will go looking for some wheels as well and go do a drift day first...

As it seems now - I dont have the money for the engine swap plan anyway... theres too much stuff coming along for that. (it was possible but I have been denied some extra cash). Crying

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Ok my final 2 cents to this matter as thisbis becoming a bit pointless untill you step away from your keyboard and going to a practice day.

You want to spend money? so subscribe for a driftschool event or similar, should be anywhere from 100 to 200€.

Need to really fit something to the car, get a 4.77 R&P/Final drive (as mentioned before this a good place to get one: http://www.weirperformance.com) and have it fitted by a pro

BUT again as been mentioned before, go to a proper practice day first, with instructors and everything for god sake. Some random streeto/parking lot stuff doesn't teach you anyhing as is the wring way to learn anyway. This will answer more of your questions than you could even think of asking us.

OEM diff is usualy a 2way in Europe (2way or open diff are all there is for the AE from the factory). The rate it locks is ~50% when new with time and ware can go down to 0. For comparison a Nissan S13 or S14 have VLSD locking rate ~25% and that's more than enough for every beginner.
Kaaz, Cusco etc are 70+% for a beginner not so helpfull as the lead to understeer in untrained hands possibly followed by spinning out. And as you already hat a mini drift experience in the rain not advisable for you right now.

Once you've gone to a driftschoolday and the instructor thinks your diff is too worn out to properly learn then you can fit the final drive and rebuild the diff with the MAXGrip kit on the same homepage above at the same time and save some money too.

Over and out of this discussion.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front setup gtapex 2 7,542 12-11-2016 06:27 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  Drift setup, choices on a budget ggrahl 13 22,343 05-28-2013 05:32 PM
Last Post: Rascal21
  Drifting with stock power on the dry AshCampbell 47 54,873 05-23-2012 02:22 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  Drifting Lelystad New Vid check bottom Okami 9 15,916 03-14-2011 10:47 PM
Last Post: Okami
  DRIFTING IN ROMANIA spawns 5 8,845 09-09-2010 01:32 PM
Last Post: spawns