Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'
02-01-2015, 12:06 PM
OK not completely off the grid but close enough Smile Have a good time everyone.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-19-2015, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 06:40 PM by Bean.)
Well back from holiday and back log at work is almost gone so had a little time to spend on the car today. No pictures - removed the BMC, fenders, lights.
Next is to remove the rest of the brake system incl. lines, same for clutch and fuel system. Then it'll be on to the interior, axles, doors and last all the glass.
Hopefully I can find a sensibly priced place to get the shell blasted and a powder coater to refresh all the pieces I've taken off.
Meanwhile I got a diff rebuild kit coming in, along with a hot off the press Haltech Elite 1500 and a panel filter to design my airbox around.
Trying to source some quality resin localy as the one I had went bad on transport in the container Sad
Still contemplating if I should do a 'while I'm at it' decision an add a bunch of composite parts... either home made (although more expensive due to the cost of the moulds) or bought (30% difference).
Before anyone ask I'm going to stick with the stock bumper design and no side skirts - the only real intriguing thing would be J-Blood wide fenders (one of the few sufficienntly wide to give me enough clearance) but they are rather pricey but good fitting parts usually are.

AE86 ex-daily
02-25-2015, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 07:44 PM by Bean.)
Spent another day at the garage and made some progress.
Fuel tank, break- and fuel-lines, steering column and a big chunk of the interior is all out. Tomorrow I'll finish removing the dashboard and the remaining interior. Currently all the parts are residing in the rear half of the car so I will dedicate some time to organize and store all of it in a proper fashion. If I succeed I'll take done the suspension/axles and next week remove all the glass.
So far I'm very pleased with my shell, haven't found anything to be concerned about yet.
My rear pockets apart from a little dirt are in excellent shape, same goes for the tank straps

On to picture or it didn't happen right?

Excuse the dust, it's all over the place as I'm next to the paint booth and the corresponding prep area. I'll get a cover before I take out the glass. I wish I had a bigger space but this is the best I could find after 1+ year of searching... at least I got a whole workshop of tools to back me up and give me a hand when necessary Smile

AE86 ex-daily
02-25-2015, 10:57 PM
You may consider yourself lucky with that little amount of rust! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
02-25-2015, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 11:41 PM by Bean.)
(02-25-2015 10:57 PM)banpei Wrote:  You may consider yourself lucky with that little amount of rust! Thumbs up!
50% is luck, the rest is the fact that I chose to buy the right one. First owner had the car 'cavity waxoiled' (? or whatever it's called) and full under sealed (stone chip protected) by the local distributor. So the car never drove beforehand Wink
If it wasn't for that it would be way worse - I do have a few very small spots though. One on the soon roof panel ˜5x3mm (not rusted through thoug), a line on the rear seam where the quarterpanel wraps around the back and joins the rear panel. A small spot underneath the break distribution block maybe 10mm diameter - haven't removed the paint there yet so not sure how deep it goes. The spare wheel well has some surface rust, as the hatch is not 100% water tight around one edge of the glass. Last but not least I had rust on the rear part of the sills (both sides about 50mm starting from the rear edge) and the adjoing part of the fender due to the stupid idea of Toyota to fit a plastic trim to the edge of the fender that brillinatly traps water and in their wisdom they decided to strenghten the back of the trim with untreated metal Banging head
Anyway, meanwhile I took care of that error, so all is good Smile
Got a slightly damaged carbon sunroof somewhere (can be fixed) - it flew off on the test drive due to me not having the proper threaded screws to fit it properly (we live and learn), that will take care of that tiny spot and the other two spots will be treated and or replaced pending on severity - still hope to get it all sodablasted or similar.

Like I mentioned a few post earlier I planed on a small composite (ad)venture but for now this is going to be postponed so I can focus on other more pressing areas first - maybe I'll pick the plan up again in 2016 (especially my front bumper could use a replacment, of the 12 spots securing it to the rest of the car about 4 are still operational - thank you lovely BMW driver from the Delhaize parking lot in Brussels.
Getting carried away here - so off to bed and back to stripping tomorrow

AE86 ex-daily
02-28-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 10:16 PM by Bean.)
some more progress:

next week I'm going to tackle all the insulation in the car, on that topic what were the best methods people used to get rid of it? Unfortunately the freeze/dry ice method is not possible here as it costs quite a bit here and temps are on the rise (currently ~25°C in the workshop).

AE86 ex-daily
02-28-2015, 11:28 PM
Chisel and a hammer, that's how i took mine out.

ハチロク

Find all posts by this user
02-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Found this how to seems to work pretty good:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how...n-6-a.html

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
03-01-2015, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 03:31 AM by Deuce Cam.)
A hammer and flat head screw drivers do the trick. Goo off or brake parts cleaner and rag to clean up the residue. I'll admit it's a major pita regardless of how you do it.
03-01-2015, 03:30 AM
(02-28-2015 11:46 PM)d3nso Wrote:  Found this how to seems to work pretty good:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how...n-6-a.html
lol at the comments. I'll see if I can find something similar to the gum remover (got some acetone at home, might work too).

Thanks for the inputs.

AE86 ex-daily