Another danish restoration
01-22-2013, 07:21 PM
"Even till this day she still hates the car. "It's noisy and it smells funny" she says."

Throw that bitch the f*ck out... Angry

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Looks good. Interesting color choice with the matt and shiny parts. Can't wait to see the final result. :wink:

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Another danish restoration]
Find all posts by this user
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Perhaps she will change her mind once I get plates on it. And as long as she cooks me diner I'll keep her around ;-)

I must say that even though the car is painted using spray paint and that the fibre glass doesn't line up completely I'm still quite satisfied with the end result. I bought a set of test plates in October to test the car. I had completely forgotten how fun is is to drive. Everything responded so well. It was such a joy.

I'll post some pictures of the final result soon :-)

AE86 - 4AGE - 1984
My project - http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/another-d...on/t/13190
01-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Really nice work Thumbs up!
Depending how my future is going to develop I might tackle a complete restoration end of 2013 but no t sure yet - but it should be much more straight forward as I suppose (read hope) I have less rust.

I wanted to ask you how the lexan windows fit and look as I planed to do this too, especially the driver and passenger windows (but I guess you never fitted them)?!?

AE86 ex-daily
01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
The rear window and two side windows fitted perfect. No trobules there. I fitted the side windows with black windows tint, since the original windows have a painted black edge to hide the interior from the outside. The black tint was an easy fix to get past this. Tinting a flat window on the workbench is also an easy job :-)

Now the driver and passenger doors is another story. I tried mounting them in the fibreglass door. The size of them was perfect and they would go up an down... But... They are not bend/curved like the original glass. When you rolled down the window it was fine. But when rolling it up it popped out and stayed on the outside of the door frame moving straight up in the air.

But if you could get someone to bend it, maybe in a large oven I think you would be OK. But they are built for racing I guess and isn't supposed to be used with the original doors.
The side windows will bend into place and is hold tight by all the small clips all the way round.

AE86 - 4AGE - 1984
01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Duze Wrote:The rear window and two side windows fitted perfect. No trobules there. I fitted the side windows with black windows tint, since the original windows have a painted black edge to hide the interior from the outside. The black tint was an easy fix to get past this. Tinting a flat window on the workbench is also an easy job :-)

Now the driver and passenger doors is another story. I tried mounting them in the fibreglass door. The size of them was perfect and they would go up an down... But... They are not bend/curved like the original glass. When you rolled down the window it was fine. But when rolling it up it popped out and stayed on the outside of the door frame moving straight up in the air.

But if you could get someone to bend it, maybe in a large oven I think you would be OK. But they are built for racing I guess and isn't supposed to be used with the original doors.
The side windows will bend into place and is hold tight by all the small clips all the way round.

Cheers for the info - guess if I go down that route I'll make sure to get proper shaped ones or do it like you and just do the rear half of the car.

BTW going with the original doors was a good idea considering the fact I can't see you intended to fit a cage with door bars. ©FRP might be strong but not strong enough to hold back a side impact in a worse (not worst) case scenario

AE86 ex-daily
01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
That right. If I had chosen to use the FRP doors I would have made some kind of cross-bar to protect the driver just a little even though it has little effect i'm afraid. A full cage would be the right thing when using FRP doors.

AE86 - 4AGE - 1984
01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi again
As promised I would post a few pictures of the final result. And here it is :-)

Driving the car again was such a pleasure and it was so much fun. The misty roads only made it a bit more fun Cool

Since last time
- The paint job: Flat black top and bottom, and "silver" middle. It's more like grey if you ask me.
- Tinted rear side windows
- Sicker bombed the hell out of the petrol cap. (So that's how it feels like being a rebel. Yeeeah!!!)

Rolling on Intras

TRD spoiler, white lines and sticker bombed petrol cap

Great profile. I'm rather pleased with the paint job.

Hanging with the Carina E gang

The next post will properly be about my little 4AGE restoration project. See ya.

AE86 - 4AGE - 1984
01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
That is a grea resto Respect!

But you have got to sort that passenge front wing alignment out Sad
01-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks

I guess you mean the drivers side ;-) Yes it's not best fit, but for some reason, that side just didn't want to cooperate. It will have to do for now.

Being fibreglass it might be possible to force it into place.

AE86 - 4AGE - 1984

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full restoration... Blade1988 64 78,917 07-17-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: McGlinchey
  '84 ae86 restoration project HybriD07 19 23,181 10-13-2014 09:20 PM
Last Post: HybriD07
  TOYOTA COROLLA Ke70 - Restoration project cke70 34 46,972 07-02-2014 10:12 PM
Last Post: cke70
  Black Limited restoration slpery86 6 9,058 12-17-2013 09:22 PM
Last Post: banpei
  A.D.D Performance AE86 RESTORATION NEARLY COMPLETE cab32 24 27,428 08-08-2013 09:27 AM
Last Post: Martynas