2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Adam's volvo 242 nonsense]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Adam's volvo 242 nonsense
(07-15-2020 08:58 PM)banpei Wrote:  How much for the used windshield? Big Grin

I got no clue really. Just a luck to find one in good condition. Should not be a problem really. Also the brand new one is around 240 Euros Wink
07-16-2020, 10:17 AM
First off: congratulations on the little boy!
Nice to see some progress.... since I've bought a decent action cam I've been pondering if I should film some of my own garage
exploits but it kinda costs a lot of time to do it right, and who wants to see me drinking beers anyway?

One piece of advice: try to keep your work divided into mini projects. Bit late for this I know, but maybe someone will benefit from it.
By this I mean if you need to weld a sill, dont strip the whole car down to a bare chassis first if it's not required for the job at hand.
Just start focusing on one job and don't start another until it is finished.
This way you dont fall into the trap of the bottomless pit of remaining work looming over you. And you forget less about how things went together.
That being said, if you plan to have the whole chassis blasted or dipped before commencing work then there is no way around stripping everything.
In my experience with these old swede-tanks, they dont really need it. The metal is thick enough that they are easy enough to just patch up.
Also always consider using ready made patch panels if they are available (klokkerholm stuff).. can really save time with complicated panels.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Hey buddy!!

Cheers for the advice!
The reason i am taking it all apart is that i want to clean the body of all unnecessary crap and sound deadening etc. I know i can get most of the body panels from here in the UK, so that's one big relief. I will be swapping out the rear axle into an independent deal from Toyota/Lexus, so i will need to cut up most of the back end anyway.

We shall see where it will get me, but it will be a cool car in the end Wink

Adam

(07-16-2020 10:17 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  First off: congratulations on the little boy!
Nice to see some progress.... since I've bought a decent action cam I've been pondering if I should film some of my own garage
exploits but it kinda costs a lot of time to do it right, and who wants to see me drinking beers anyway?

One piece of advice: try to keep your work divided into mini projects. Bit late for this I know, but maybe someone will benefit from it.
By this I mean if you need to weld a sill, dont strip the whole car down to a bare chassis first if it's not required for the job at hand.
Just start focusing on one job and don't start another until it is finished.
This way you dont fall into the trap of the bottomless pit of remaining work looming over you. And you forget less about how things went together.
That being said, if you plan to have the whole chassis blasted or dipped before commencing work then there is no way around stripping everything.
In my experience with these old swede-tanks, they dont really need it. The metal is thick enough that they are easy enough to just patch up.
Also always consider using ready made patch panels if they are available (klokkerholm stuff).. can really save time with complicated panels.
12-06-2020, 07:24 PM

12-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Nice cloud of rust when you unbolt the shocks! Yes indeed that's a 40 year old car! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Adam's volvo 242 nonsense]
12-08-2020, 02:18 AM
But yet it was completely effortless and surprisingly easy. Damn, i was completely blown away of the whole suspension just unbolting without any AIDS! Apart from one bolt tho... Big Grin

(12-07-2020 10:31 PM)banpei Wrote:  Nice cloud of rust when you unbolt the shocks! Yes indeed that's a 40 year old car! Thumbs up!
12-25-2020, 06:40 PM

01-31-2021, 05:55 PM
Great job dude. Ear defenders are a great idea when working in a space like that too, I wish I saw more people using them. Looks like you're making progress and it'll be great to see the end result.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adam's white, rusty levin...updated 23-09-2018!! adomz 150 136,878 09-23-2018 05:14 PM
Last Post: adomz