AW11 sold! Now i need a substitute...
12-18-2006, 09:24 PM
10-10-2006 the MOT of the aw11 ended, after some calculations I concluded that I was gonna sell the car, last tuesday I sold it.Always a weird feeling when you see someone else drive away with your old car and probably never see it back again.

I decided before i was gonna sell my mr2 that i first had to sell it before i was gonna buy another car, because if i didn't, i wouldn't take the effort to sell it (lazy aren't i Tongue ) and using my mothers car as a daily driver also aided in the end to speed up the process.

The whole process still took 2 months but hey better late then never!

So now that the car is sold i am looking for something else.There are 2 candidates i'm interested in.They have a lot in common yet they are exact opposites of each other.

candidate 1 : Peugeot 106 1.3 rallye

Never saw one in real life before but went looking for one today.What attracted me in this car is it's light weight (800 kg), 100 hp engine and modified suspension.The combination of these three could make a challenging car that is agile/nimble and can be pushed to the limit without breaking speed laws.And because it can be pushed to the limit it could be a rewarding car for the driver.and it would e a nice car to start with on trackdays with technical tracks ( not with long straights like zandvoort).I'm still an amateur you know.

I also like the looks of the car, the outside with those things on the arches and the interior with red carpet and no extra options at ALL (reminds me of the seat marbella).

Another good point are that the roadtax and insurance prices are quite low due to low weight (road tax) and low new price (around 12500 eur) and according to insurance companies no dangerous car for young drivers.

BUT...

after doing some research on buying guides about this car and reading several technical forums about this car i saw the dark side of this car, to mention some troubles, whining gearboxes that were gonna fail, differential problems, problems with rear axle bearing (big bucks), stuttering engines, engines that keep running after you take the keys out, headgasket problems, oil leaks,clutch troubles,gear linkage troubles.

And why does someone buy these kinds of cars?yes probably to drive fast so i assume most of them have some problems or gonna have some of them.

Went looking for one today and must say the model looks very simple but thats ok.The car i saw wasn't it good shape, fenders and bumper had different shade of red ( garage said with a good cleaner you could get it equally red), mayonaise emulsion inside oil cap ( garage said it was from driving short pieces), headgasket leaking oil (garage said it was coming from valve cover), whole lot of oil under the gearbox, a lot of water in the boot (garage said it was because the car stood still for 3 weeks).When i looked at the licence plate holder on the back it said the name of his garage so i asked him if he knew the previous owner or could tell me something more about this car.He said he didn't knew the car and the previous owner.He told me the maintenance books were also 'gone'.

That's when i knew enough, the other comment about the trunk and headgasket were probably also BS.

I didn't ask for a test drive because he knew i wasn't gonna even consider THAT car.

On to candidate nr2 : Mazda mx-5

Also light-weight, light powered and renowed for it's manuveability and handling.A step more expensive than the 106 in terms of road tax and insurance but still very acceptable.It does have a higher price tag than the 106 but the new price is twice as high then the 106.

When reading forums and internet it is said that the mx-5 is a very reliable car, it does have it's specific points but they don't sound horrible in comparison to the known problems of the 106.

O yeah i almost forgot to mention the plus that it is a convertible, although that's not the main reason i'm interested, because i'm more interested in handling but it's a cool feauture.

Interior and exterior of the mazda look much more refined and are higher quality then the 106 but that probably has something to do with the price that is twice as high.

Offcourse there some different models made of the mx-5, the 'old' ones with retractable headlight and the newer ones with fixed headlight.The anniversary edition with 6 speed gearbox and bilstein suspension(i thought Dumb question ) looks mighty fine but they cost quite a lot of money.

The model i seek is the one with retractable headlight and 1.6 engine and if the car doesn't have options, i don't mind ( what isn't there can't break down you know) Tongue

AND there are mx-5's that were used as second car for the chick or used for cruising.These cars probably had an easy life and could last for years to come, might find one if i'm lucky.

BUT..

The downsides i was thinking are the higher purchase price, but since these cars are always wanted cars i think the price doesn't drop that fast if you know what i mean.

The only problem is that i had some vandalism problems with my aw11 (scratches from front to back, stone slapped against window, kicked off exhaust, garbage can on engine hood) I didn't care about that with the aw11 because it was allready an old car worth shit.

But a mx-5 with it's vulnerable softtop roof would be asking for troubles around here.I could take a subscription on a private parking lot around here that would cost around 50 eur/month.You could look at that amount as some sort of insurance.

So today i saw both of them and i think it's gonna be a mx-5.The winter is also a nice time to buy these kind of cars!

Does anyone know were i can find a good one?I looked at the dutch mazda club forum and there were some cars that sounded very nice.And does it have downsides if it is an ex-american car?

If you have tips i would gladly hear them! Hurray!

Real men race downhill
Find all posts by this user
12-18-2006, 09:52 PM
wouter86 Wrote:a lot of water in the boot (garage said it was because the car stood still for 3 weeks)

If that was a valid argument I'd have a private swimming pool by now :-)
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Two good choices you have there. Don't discard the pug 106 rallye or gti as being easy to drive on the limit either. They set some of the fastest times around certain corners..faster then most exotic stuff sometimes. With 100 to 120 hp at 800kg they are also way faster then 90% of the ae86s on the forum here. Great little cars! I've looked at buying one myself but the prices at the time were more then I could afford..6000E+ for a nice gti.

Everyone here by now knows how I feel about MX5s, so I wont even start. I'll let Ivan chime in with some of his recent experiences. Our mom just bought a '92 1.6l basic model...the way they handle is just magical and it is such a fun car to cruise around in with the top down.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
easy to drive might indeed not be the right word, i think i meant to say that it could have a lot of potential if i look at the specs.

The only thing is that those horror stories of these cars really scared me since it is gonna be a daily driver for me.If the 106 was built as reliable as the mx-5 i would probably have chosen the 106.I don't know but i just like those small french cars, too bad reliability isn't that of japanese standards.

Real men race downhill
12-18-2006, 10:30 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...9245&hl=en

Girly car Banging head Confused

Dunno about the horror stories..never looked into it that good. Probably best to buy one with a full service history, won't be to much of a problem then. You might want to take a look at the '96 Xsi models. I think those are the same as the gti, but without the alloys.

MX5's are dead reliable..You would really have to do your best to buy a lemon. If you find one in stock condition, chances are 99% that the car will last you years and years. An MX5 with viscous LSD and a 800E Tein SS suspension outperforms a fully modded ae86 while still being streetable. Lots and lots of fun, but not much hp.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi

I had a 106 1,3 Rallye for 3 years. drove 100.000 km in it and I changed the clutch once and I changed the head gasket once but that was after a trip from DK to Bavaria at full throttle.

Other than that I had nothing but fun with it. I bought it with 92.000 km on the tacho and sold it with 198.000 km on it.

It is one of the most funny cars that I have ever owned...

Regards Johnny

why go forward when you can go sideways

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looks like Yahoo Auctions is off limits now Power_uP 13 4,626 06-14-2022 04:22 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Need Opinion NOW! Grid-V which color??????? nmwisima 52 55,781 03-09-2011 08:56 PM
Last Post: nmwisima
  Bevore ... and now! El_Camino 9 8,085 08-02-2006 12:02 AM
Last Post: El_Camino
  Why my Red/Black hachi will be used for spares Now for sale! peter møller 16 14,161 05-11-2005 02:50 AM
Last Post: Jezza_hr
  LSD now mounted in the bimmer + Drift footage! :D Widar 31 23,852 04-01-2005 04:00 PM
Last Post: adomz