AE86 LSDs
03-30-2005, 05:48 PM
AE86 LSDs
Aico Wrote:If 1 wheel is spinning your LSD is worn out.
Sometimes only one wheel is spinning, but sometimes both wheels are. I guess that the problem is still the same - the diff is worn out. BTW, what kind of oil should be in the stock diff?

mux213 Wrote:This effect works even better with torston diffs, while a clutch diff will attempt to put equal power to both wheels, potentionally loosing power to the wheel with the least grip slipping, a torston diff will put more power to the wheel with the most grip. But for the same reason a torston diff is harder to drift, its harder to brake traction and once traction is broken suddenly the torque converter has no torque left to convert and you immediately loose all power to the wheels, it's like putting the car in neutral in the middle of a drift (all in my lamemans terms offcourse, but this is how my simpleton brain interprets what I've read about them).
I think it's not so bad with the Torsen. The problem with Torsen is that if one of the wheels looses traction completely the torque will not be transfered to the other wheel and the effect is the same as with the open diff. However I believe that on tarmac surface even if one wheel is spinning there is still some torque put to the ground through that wheel. As a result the torque is still being transfered to the second wheel. If the wheel is lifted from ground completely then you have an open diff.

Torsen is supposed to be the best diff for road racing, because the lockup is not as sharp as for clutch LSD and thus you can drive closer to the limit in the corners. For drifting you actually want this sudden lockup to break the traction and so the clutch LSD is better.
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2005, 06:02 PM
AE86 LSDs
gt99,

Very true, under acceleration the LSD locks, when the LSD locks the car wants to go in a straight line because the wheels can not rotate at different speeds (well atleast with a clutch LSDSmile)

Under deacceleration the same applies, if the LSD locks, your car wants to go in a straight line.

So LSD has the advantage of being able to put power more effectively on the road but the disadvantage of wanting to push the car in a straight line.

However we have to remember that the LSD is an active device. Clutch LSDs are pretty simple devices going from no lock when the car is driving at constant speed, to full luck under full accelerations. Viscous and torston work a little different but the general idea is the same. This enables you to make good cornering because you do not start accelerating until you reach the end of the bend and only then the LSD will lock giving you best of both worlds.

This is why I think someone calling a welded diff a 100% LSD is an idiot, a welded diff is locked also under constant driving speeds. a 100% LSD would not lock the wheels under constant driving speeds or deceleration and give you good cornering, only once you hit the accelerator the LSD would lock immediately.

To my knowladge there are no 100% LSD devices because it would be very hard to actually make it work like thisSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
AE86 LSDs
mux213 Wrote:Fact is though that its a whole lot easier to get into and maintain a drift when you have a 2way LSD.

Be careful with the 2-way, they are not really suited for beginners...
--> http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...al_101.htm

I just rebuilt my stock LSD with a T3 rebuild kit; setting preload and backlash takes some getting used to Blush

Later,
Patrick
04-01-2005, 09:11 AM
AE86 LSDs
petzk,

Nobody said they are for beginnersSmile

Did you drive your car with your rebuild LSD yet? Really looking forward to hearing about your experiences...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
AE86 LSDs
well I'd be happy to drive that car ever once... the buildup is going on for full 4 years and €15k+ now... I just hope to get it on the street this year...
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
AE86 LSDs
O/T: 4 years and €15k+?? that is..... i dont know what it is but its something!! Mine has almost a year and a lot of work still to do on it. Hope you get it going Smile

About the LSD im going for the KAAZ, i ll tell how it behaves in a about 3 months (shipping plus lack of free time...). Thanks for all the opinions and explanations posted Thumbs up!

85 Red Toyota Corolla GT - project "vouàfalencia"
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
AE86 LSDs
...... K guys i think we hit the jackpot lvl of bullshit here.

LSD is something you can't simply feel its a way of understanding and learning the car before you know the difrence.

Aico a stock hachi diff is fine if you checkup most rally build ae86's where running stock LSD. My LSD is almost hitting 3k and locking up crazy so no shit that it is for shopping.

The 2 way lsd is not that hadny for normal roads if you consider that in wet country's the roads get slippery meaning your tail will slide sooner now no cool talk but its prohibitet and in Holland they can take your license away for that shit.

2 way lsd doesn't lock better on accel its just a way of when suddenly releasing power from the rear end the plates are able to lock. People that drive here every day with a 2way lsd should have noticed that sometimes when you drive normal (we all do that sometimes) its less comfordable.

The standard 1.5 way stock lsd of a AE86 is very good for drifting if you can't drift with a standard you can't drift with a 2way.

The spline plates of a trd are a bit better and on the cusco as well as far as most peepz know that very few are running kaaz.

Regarding no lockups on ice ......... If your ass doesn't slide its LSD less on ice. trust me. Wanne test take some roundabouts do some donuts and throw it in a corner. (USE the right OIL very important for your LSD)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS