AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides
01-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I think aircon in a mad track prepped buzzbox may be a neccesity here. Sad

I used to speak regularly with a guy who taught motorsport aerodynamics and ran a business making carbon and fibreglass components, and he had some really interesting ideas for airboxes and the like. Bigger the better etc, as he once showed me on an airbox for a Merc CLK GTR racer he was making. The bit that always grabbed me is that if he was correct, the din a strong induction noise would make through a carbon airbox would be purely sexual.

Not that I'm sewing seeds or anything! Wink

English dude in NZ. Photographer. Noob. Tall.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Conrad,

I'm sure my car will love the company of yours when it arrives down at RS.

Do you have any photographs of the lightweight bonnet you have ? I need one. I've steered away from the drop vented style of bonnets as the F20C motor is a bit longer than the 4AGE and it may not work. If its an upwards vented bonnet I could be interested.

With regard to the ITBS - they wont really give a huge improvement at the top end of the rev range - but they will make significant improvements in the mid range.

My friend just engine dyno'd an F20C with the same Jenvey throttles I use and it made 247bhp but more importantly 187lb/ft which is quite a bit up on standard. The torque was mainly obtained by increasing the length of the inlet tract AFTER the ITB by using spacers between the throttle body itself and the inlet manifold. Mid range is really where you see the improvement. If you look at the graphs on the Jenvey site you will see 30+bhp improvement increases in the mid-range.

I got the Jenveys knowing full well they wouldn't gain a huge amount on a stock engine - but they are things of beauty and will sound superb (not that stock F20C engines sound bad).

In the future if serious work was done on the in/ex ports and the addition of cams (possibly evening removing the VTEC system completely) they will help a huge amount.

Congrats on getting your conversion under way.
That means there is 100% 3 F20C powered 86's in the mainland uk. Hurray!

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, B...mp; Brides]
01-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Ian, the bonnet I have ordered is the J-Blood drop vent type, now you mention that about the F20 engine I hope it fits lol.

I already had my Jenvey SF54's from a previous project and I never used them. I have spoken with Jenvey and I need a tapered adapter plate because mine are 54mm straight and are a little large for the S2000 manifold. Hopefully Jenvey are going to sort them out.

When I map the car I'll do it on the standard engine for starters and see what I can get out of it then I'll fit the ITB's and see what sort of difference they make when I remap it Smile

For now I think I'll the engine standard then later hopefully get the TODA sump (less oil surge) and cams.

Looking forward to seeing yours on the 23rd Big Grin

Cheers

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
01-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Ah cool,

Also, try to fit one of the s2000 injectors into the injector pocket on your ITB. I had to send mine back to Jenvey and have the pockets reamed out slightly to take the s2000 items. They are fine with std Bosch/Pico injectors but not quite right for ours - it doesn't mean you cant use other injectors once they have been machined. They should also provide you with new o-rings if you send them an injector when you get them done.

Regards Ian.
01-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Interesting stuff regarding the ITB's and the torque increase. As much as I'm not a fan of forced induction and like my revs, you can't complain when someone shoves more torque in there. Smile

01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice stuff.

I was also thinking about my J-Blood hood with an f20c might not work. But it really depends how you fit the engine in there.
But there are plenty of other hoods available.

What ECU are you guys running?

When thinking about this swap I am still considered about the wiring.
Hopefully that is not too gib of a problem.

Speed Industries
Hurdnerwaeldlistr. 73
8808 Pfaeffikon
Switzerland
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: +4155 420 15 69
page: http://www.speed-industries.ch
MSN: [email protected]

We have all the parts your Hachi needs
01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
speed-inc Wrote:When thinking about this swap I am still considered about the wiring.
Hopefully that is not too gib of a problem.

The wiring strikes me as one of the bigger problems from an uneducated outsider's points of view. I think I'd be trying to ditch the S2k digital dash myself but I'd guess that's a nightmare? oh for a set of Stack dials. Wink

01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
this should be interesting
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Well I managed to do a little deal with the chap who I got the car off and after exchanging a few parts from the interior and giving him the 14" RS Watanabes I got myself a REV Speed Roll Cage and a set of 15" Longchamps. This will allow for a bigger front brake upgrade and some Toyo R888 rubber at a later date. The wheels are not in mint condition but nothing that a refurb and polish wont cure. Car looks so much better on the chrome Longchamps Big Grin

Strip down begins...... (with the help of my youngest son) in my unfinished extension / garage.

Car on the axle stands... sorry about the poor photos, no lights in new garage and phone camera Sad

Current rear suspension...

Current front suspension...

No wheels....

Interior bits coming out...

Passenger side bits out....

Son earning his pocket money Smile

Drivers side post strip out....

Work in progress...

And finally with the new 15" Longchamp wheels Big Grin

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
It's nice to see a few AE86 owners with deep enough pockets to commit to this conversion Thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 145 151,813 07-02-2022 06:37 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 81,224 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 683,893 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Beams Levin build mannix20vt 5 8,536 01-27-2016 12:39 AM
Last Post: mannix20vt
  Another AE86, Duracell. Now with VEMS, and cage... Uzelac 62 83,007 06-22-2015 02:56 PM
Last Post: Uzelac