4age hitting gas too quick means engine stalls - what is the issue?
12-14-2015, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 07:23 PM by Ryo.)
Ok i have verified timing and all is lined up no issue there. I skipped the other things you mentioned and went straight to measure fuel pressure because i buyed a new compression tester and fuel pressure tester. I measured the fuel pressure exactly according the manual at the point where cold start injector is connected. I performed the first measuring according the manual with engine OFF just letting fuel pump work. The result: 15PSI ( about 1 bar of fuel pressure) according manual if i remember there should be 33-38 PSI (2.5-3 bar's) so i might have figured out why the engine is not running properly. I measured the fuel pressure with engine running and the result was the same. So i guess the old fuel pump from AE86 (oem toyota) that was working before somehow started to fail not sure why because it was working perfectly in AE86 before. I went to my local parts dealer and picked up some magneti marelli pump that pushes 3bar (95L/hour) that is the same spec as the oem one. It was for a good price 40 euro (compared to others around 130 euro).
So now i am waiting to install it and to see if the issue will be finally solved.
Will inform you about the result.

Forgot to mention i already tested second fuel pressure regulator that is good and verified all lines for leaking but no issue there so it all points on the fuel pump.

85' AE86 GT coupe lifetime project since 2005
Find all posts by this user
12-14-2015, 10:31 PM
(12-14-2015 07:17 PM)Ryo Wrote:  ... so it all points on the fuel pump.

Just so !! If you only have half the normal fuel pressure, you will only get
half the fuel into the engine from the injectors. When you open the throttle
quickly, the engine requires a lot more fuel but the injectors cannot deliver,
so you get the symptoms that you described in your first post. New pump
will fix that Smile

Cheers... jondee86
01-10-2016, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2016 11:23 PM by Ryo.)
Ok i installed the fuel tank with new fuel pump and started the car. Finally it was running and responded on the gas pedal i run it 3 times for about 30min without issue. Only thing i notices the car was always running in PRW mode and not going to NOR (green led). Not sure what this means. I tried to move a little bit but the car died because i didn't give it much gas. Tried to start it again but now it won't turn even the engine. Now i am confused because engine was warm rpm about 800rpm and all was looking ok.
I will look at the manual what can this mean but would appreciate any help as well.
2 questions. Could it be the starter died? And Why the engine was always in PWR mode (red led on instruments display) all the time. Thank you for any hints that will help me to locate the issue.

01-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Not sure what you´ve done to upset the car.
Batery voltage? Does the starter still click?

The Economy switch is unrelated to idle or anything thats got to do with engine management. Its just a vaccum switch, the little thing on you right turret with the 1 singe wire, going to it, make sure the conector and the vacuum line is on.

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
01-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Rainbow 4age hitting gas too quick means engine stalls - what is the issue?
The AE86 starter is prone to heat soaking, especially if it does not
have a heat shield. Symptoms are car won't start when hot (starter
does not turn/crank the engine). However, it will start as usual once
it has cooled down.

PWR and NOR functions are usually associated with older series Toyota
electronically controlled automatic transmissions Smile Similar to standard
and sports modes in modern transmissions. Can you provide more
information on how this feature works in your car ?

Cheers... jondee86
01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Pretty sure he meant the two indicators on the cluster for ECON and PWR Smile

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4age hitting gas too quick ...the issue?]

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
01-11-2016, 07:27 PM
@d3nso - nice milage Smile

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Music 4age hitting gas too quick means engine stalls - what is the issue?
(01-11-2016 06:13 PM)d3nso Wrote:  Pretty sure he meant the two indicators on the cluster for ECON and PWR Smile

Ahhh... I have not seen those lights before, so I guess they are market
specific. Equivalent to a vacuum gauge where the green light indicates
high vacuum (cruise) and the red light indicates low vacuum (wide throttle
opening). So as you say, check the hose has not split/fallen off.

Cheers... jondee86
01-11-2016, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 10:55 PM by Ryo.)
I am really sorry i explained poorly yes i had that in mind as shown on the photo the ECON and PWR indicator. AE92 gti has the same ones but differently designed gauges. Hope next week I will have a chance to investigate further the problems with starter and this PRW indicator always on will inform you what I have found. Was not aware that there can be trouble when engine is hot with the starter. I was betting either the starter is stuck or there is no electricity going in it as when turning the ignition key I was only hearing fuel pump by starting but not any other sound not even slightest of starter try to turn the engine. Really strange. I can mention the outside was freezing and was -4/-9 i don't remember (have the car outside as garage is full).

01-12-2016, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 12:32 AM by Bean.)
Well the light issue is entirely unrelated as mentioned before.
At those temps chances are right that the starter is stuck, happens fairly quickly (also in sandy environment not just cold), this is assuming your battery is still good of course 12V+ (13 would be even better)

You should here a solenoid click from the passenger side when trying to start. Even when the starter doesn't turn at all or actually even more so as when it works you can barely hear it over the sound of the starter.

PS: you could try push starting the car, if it starts driven around for 30min this should warm up the starter enough to unfreeze but not too much to overheat.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,520 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  AE86 Driveshaft too long? [SOLVED] MyCrazyGarage 12 5,157 07-28-2022 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Fuel pump issue DJexor 11 3,739 04-29-2022 05:45 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Can you convert your 86 back too the original state? gh0st 7 2,121 04-25-2022 04:25 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Clutch Issue Deaty 8 3,542 04-09-2021 10:26 PM
Last Post: Nakilad