4a-ge, and an argument help me
02-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Dan-
Wow, some project! Of course it helps when you've got full shop facilities available to do that kind of work, and a racing team.<G>

And the inspiration of having a viable product to put on the market, at least on the enthusiast/racing market.

Compared to the price of a TRD gearset, have you looked into just making custom one-off gears by laser or water-jet cutting and then machining/hardening them? I have to wonder what gain could be had (if you had a TV show's budget<G&gtWink by engineering the hell out of the gears themselves to get inertia out of the spinning bits. Or, perhaps making an FRP tranny housing instead of using all that heavy metal?

What TV needs right now: Overhaulin' as done by the Lockheed Skunkworks team.<G>

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2007, 12:44 AM
... check our r.hellenbrand he pulls 186hp from a 4age. And he misses a good exhaust.

200 hp is capable but you will need:

-innershimkit
-high lift cams
-good pistons
- high comp
-bigger injectors
-mapable ECU (+ a good lambda sensor)
-a good manifold (when you find one call me)
-good intkae

Its 70 % knoledge. It should be doable for around 2000 euro's. I don't know the reliability but if I look at the power chart of R.hellenbrand it didn't even pass 7200 rpm. Wich then would be a very safe engine running between the standard revs.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Red Wrote:What TV needs right now: Overhaulin' as done by the Lockheed Skunkworks team.<G>

Now you've said it, watch them really do it....
The 4A-GE is quite the toy, considering making 200hp out of it is completely insane with all the other swapping options you have out there. Then again it can be done... which is a good thing.... especially considering i'm hoping to get about 170+ hp out of one myself....
02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Domi-
200hp is for pikers, amateurs, cheapskates. The pro circuits get what, about 10hp per cubic inch out of their engines? And less than a thousand miles of life PER ENGINE, right?<G>

If mine keeps ticking like a clock, I'll be happy with less than 200hp out of it. She's got enough pep for what I need and where I drive.<G>

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Hell, my hachi's never had its engine working properly, never been able to rev it above 4k RPM due to serious AFM problems which i'm still researching, but it managed to feel pretty quick from what i've driven it, which is quite amazing. It's not a fast car, but it feels like one. I'm comparing it mainly to my brother's WRX and the result is striking, i thought it'd never stack up... Can't wait to get it stroking fine and have some proper fun with it :wink:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help help help ToyotaTs 4 4,898 09-20-2007 05:21 PM
Last Post: banpei