1uzfe swap
02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
1uzfe swap
I'm trying to find out more about the 1uz swap. I'm wanting to know what all it takes and how to make sure it formula D legal. What tranny is the best? Do you have to cut anything out? Can I use a stock sr5 tranny with a bellhousing and adaptor? Etc. please don't hate if you disagree with this swap. Andything helps because I can't find much on it and I don't want to have to re-do anything down the road.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
1uzfe swap
Its a bugger that all the info that was on club4AG seems to have been lost forever.

You need either a W or R series tranny. The T5 from an SR5 won't last more then 5 minutes.
You need a bellhousing adapter, clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and spacers. Expect to spend 1000$ on this in total.
You need to have a custom exhaust and custom headers made, this can be pricy as well.
Expect to do minor welding work to the subframe and oil pan.
You need to have a new rear axle made up because the v8 will tear the original one to shreds.
You'll need to have a custom prop-shaft made up.

You can fit it in without cutting the transmission tunnel if you space down the front crossmember and place the engine a little further forward.

I did the math and ended up choosing to do a F20C swap because its just cheaper to do.

Also 90% of all the weight information on the1UZ is fanboi's repeating what they want to hear. Only trust pics of the engine with all ancilleries on a scale (they are out there). With all said and done expect to add about 200lbs over the 4AGE into the nose of the AE86. Add another 40 or so for the rear axle. It does have ample power to overcome the extra weight.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
1uzfe swap
Well that's a bummer that its such a costly swap when I found a motor so cheap.

What all did it take to do to f20c and what kind of power does it make?

The only other motors I was thinking about were the ka,sr,or 7age
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
1uzfe swap
F20C was slightly cheaper then going 1UZFE and 130lbs lighter. Should be around 200whp or so. It also needs most of the things the 1UZ needs, just not the axle, headers and RWD swap. It gets more expensive if you ever need to replace the engine.

02-05-2013, 03:54 PM
1uzfe swap
That's the problem right now. I was dailying my AE with the stock 4ac but its died on me and I don't want to fix it cuz it's not worth it but now I'm out a car. So I'm getting a dd and building the AE as a drifter but I do t know what way I want to go now
02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
1uzfe swap
If it needs to be relatively cheap and simple:
4AGZE, GTS rear axle, pulley upgrade.

02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
1uzfe swap
if you're not a purist, fit a KA or SR in there... been done loads and should be easy to get all you need for cheap if you shop around wisely.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
1uzfe swap
get on 86garage.com. you'll have to register then post in introductions for the site to open up to you but I am doing this swap right now. my build thread is in the non-native tech section under Toyota v6 and v8s. There's a lot of info there for you. Xcessive manufacturing now makes solid mounts and I am now running these. Perfect fit with 2" subframe spacers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 04:12 AM
1uzfe swap
Will do McKenny. What is your user name on there? I'm still considering the 1uz since it makes so much power stock I would have to build it right away, but a built sr boosted would be sweet too.

Thanks for all the input and help. I have realized that the 1uz swap would NOT be just a weekend job and drive(even tho that is what most people I know say)
02-06-2013, 04:27 AM
1uzfe swap
I would only do a 1UZ if you were going VVTi or turbo, or do a 3UZ VVTi.

The stock old 1UZ makes about 230WHP, about 30 more than a F20. But with F20 you get a sweet close ratio 6 speed easily done and a lot lighter.

An F20 would take down an old 1UZ with a W box all else being equal.