rear oil seal
11-07-2006, 12:40 AM
rear oil seal
Hello, I'm new to the board and just got my first ae86 (1983 with an 84 4age) but it has a blown rear oil seal which needs to be replaced which I have never done before. After looking around at some manuals I am fearing the worst. So I am going to run over the rough idea and see what you guys think. First, I will need to drop the transmission. Second, will I need to pull the engine as well to get to this rear oil seal? While I'm in here doing all this does anyone have any recomendations of what else I could/should do while in there.
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2006, 06:47 PM
rear oil seal
You only need to take off the flywheel..it's a matter of unbolting some stuff after that.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
rear oil seal
Owh do go and take pictures when you do thisBig Grin

Sounds like one heck of a job to do as a first hachi repair challenge. Never done this one myself aswell. You make it sound so easy IvanWink

myember, if you have access to the right tools and the right environment these cars are easy to work on and from the sound of it. Whereabouts in the world are you? Might be a hachi enthousiast nearby that doesn't mind giving you a hand. I know from first hand experience these sorta jobs are easier when you have someone along thats worked on these cars before.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
rear oil seal
I replaced my rear oil seal when my previous engine was still out of the car.. it sits in it's own metal holder, that bolts to the engine and oilpan. You can take it out separately..just make sure you get a new gasket.
After that it's easy to replace it.. putting it back on is the tedious bit.
Getting the flywheel off can be a bit of a pain without some sort of special tool to hold it in place.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-07-2006, 10:05 PM
rear oil seal
Is it in the 4age repair manual? If so, that might make it easier for myember. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - rear oil seal]
11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
rear oil seal
Ivan: thanks for the quick info. I have the pdf format of the ae86 manuel (i believe i got both of them on this forum) and have not looked to see what this special tool is you speak of for holding the flywheel in place. But my buddy who is helping me, we replaced his clutch and flywheel so we should be ok getting it out. Isn't taking apart/putting a car back together always a tedious process.

Mux: I will try and document this project as much as possible and put it up here. Right now i've got to get my new toy towed to my garage and then the fun will begin. I live in ohio, i've got a buddy who we work together on cars and thankfully has many more tools than I do.

I'll be looking some more things up in the manual today or tomorrow. Once I get the work in process (hopefully next week) i'll try and take pics etc.
11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
rear oil seal
the special tool i see most often is a home made cut-off piece of flywheel that you can bolt to the engine, the teeth on that one stop the flywheel from moving.. Hard to explain precisely without a picture. I have removed flywheels without it a least twice, but you'll need air tools for that.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust fumes in cabin (Hatch seal problem!) Lt86 16 18,607 11-13-2015 01:20 PM
Last Post: pack
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,955 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Crank seal TheGerman 8 10,087 04-12-2014 09:36 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,346 06-06-2013 07:36 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  Rear ae86 rear discs & pad part numbers? J-86 4 5,423 11-30-2012 06:32 PM
Last Post: J-86