question about rear axles
05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
The clutch used can make a difference too.

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Filh, you know about this solution right?
http://www.weirperformance.com/axlekitsc...erear.html

At about 1000€ including shipping its 1/3rd to 1/4th the price of a completely setup Atlas axle and uses OEM parts.

Probably also available direct from: http://www.coneindustries.com/partsgallery.php#

There used to be a company making a fully floating Toyota rear axle, Dwarf Car Products, but dunno what happened to them.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Hello,

to Totta Crolla I think the same . I use a clutch plate with 4 pads(Cross)
and no springs. I may be to rigid , and not absorbing much impact.
But I remember that I broke axles with a stock Sachs clutch plate.

to NoHachi : I knew Weir solution. Very good for the axles dia(30mm) , but you have to use a spool replacing LSD. It gives a 100% "LSD" . Not very easy to compete with that . You have to be full time at 90° in corners Wave Wave Wave .
And if you failin that way of driving, you look like a FWD Rolla . Angry Angry Angry
Don't like FWD at all....(speaking about competition).

Weir has a solution with 28mm axles and a modified TRD LSD , but it's much expensive, and I 'm not assured it's much more reliable than the 25mm ones.
I can assume to change axles sometimes, but the prices asked are much too high now.
These parts are , at least, 25years old , and metal is often tired (due to sport use)
By the way , thanks for the interesting links .

Infortunately, buying overseas (which I often do) involve custom taxes , and they are absolutly crazy here in Belgium.I use to pay 100% taxes.
I recently paid 54€ customs taxes for a warranty return from Japan ,and I didn't pay anything for part and shipping !!!!!
Phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
05-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Torsion stiffness (traagheidsmoment) goes up with a power of 4 with the diameter of a circle.

So a 25mm axle has a surface moment(?) of pi*(25*2)^4 /4 = 4.9e6
And 28mm axle has a surface moment of pi*(28*2)^4/4 = 7.7 e6

So you need about 1.5 times the torque to snap the 28mm axle. 50% strength increase isn't as bad as it seems.

A spool LSD isn't as bad as it seems. It just takes a skilled hand to get it into a corner. After that, it isn't very different from a normal LSD.
In Holland we pay 30% duty+taxes. So if you need any parts it might be worth sending them through some of our dutch members.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
NoHachi
30% duty+taxes

That’s too much man , any other way to get parts from Germany or Belgium for example
07-01-2014, 02:25 PM
damn taxes we pay a lot