Poll: What sort of flywheel are you using?
Stock AE86 (10kg?)
< 4 kg (TODA, TRD?, Fidanza..)
4-6 kg (HKS..)
> 6 kg - aftermarket (which?)
machined oem unit
other (what?)
[Show Results]

flywheel options - What are you using?
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
EDIT: i changed a topic to poll to see what many of you are using. Please share your experiences..

--------------------orginal post---------------------------

Hi,

since im rebuilding my engine now, i would like to know your opinions on the stock flywheel. Im thinking about machining it to make it a bit lighter. Is this a good idea? What the stock weight and what weight should i be looking at for improoved performance but still keeping the car streetable? How much material can be taken off not to compromise the strenght? etc.

thanks..
Find all posts by this user
04-13-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/weight_is...weight.htm

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/weight_is...wheels.htm

Take a look here for some ideas.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2007, 07:12 PM
hm, this looks more complicated then i first thought.. lightning the flywheel in the center doesnt make much sense to me, as the weight nearer the center has little (or much lesser) influence on the turning momentum. isnt the point to reduce the momentum so its easier to rev, thus giving better response and increasing the power?
04-15-2007, 11:51 PM
if by any chance you people think im done with this you are teriblly wrong im afraid Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

what nobody has any experience with lighter flywheels or lightning them for your ae's? Dumb question
04-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I know that Toda flywheel weights 3.7 kg.

Vladimir
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - flywheel options - What are you using?]

N/A for life...
04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
huh, stock silvertop is 6.9 kg, blacktop 5.9 kg.. im guessing ae86 flywheel is even heavier? so 3.7 seems very (too?) light..
04-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Apolan Wrote:im guessing ae86 flywheel is even heavier? so 3.7 seems very (too?) light..

Aprox. 10 kg by Bill Sherwood...

TRD for AE86 is aprox. 4,5-5 kg

Toyota scrap yard car park = AE92GTi - AE82GT - KE30 - KP62
04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Apolan Wrote:if by any chance you people think im done with this you are teriblly wrong im afraid Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

what nobody has any experience with lighter flywheels or lightning them for your ae's? Dumb question

I cant recall anyone that has lightened the flywheel.. but I do think it is potentially dangerous to do this. Look around for pics of a honda with an exploded flywheel on google, you'll get the picture. It would rip right through the car, and maybe even take a leg along the way if it happens to break.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2007, 06:18 PM
what are you serious?! now youre scaring me.. Undecided I imagined that the flywheel is overdimensioned for the purpuse of adding weight not to hold everything together.. I mean it is logical that an unbalanced dish of solid steel spinning at 8000 rpm is asking for trouble. i've had a cd explode in my rom .. but lightning the flywheel equally along the whole of the radius and balancing it would lessen the stress due to lower weight so it compensates for the loss in strucutal integrity? right..
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
A lot of people remove the weight where it is easy to do: the thick center section. A brilliant bit of thinking that...

Stresses are the highest in the center of the disc and the reduction in rotational intertia is the smallest. Darwin award stuff if you ask me.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up ITB filter options mister86 1 2,946 12-06-2020 10:44 AM
Last Post: Bean
  AE86 starter options max_ae86 12 27,461 07-28-2019 08:17 PM
Last Post: harkes
  light weight Flywheel filh 9 6,450 02-05-2018 05:20 PM
Last Post: filh
  AE86 rear suspension options 2018 Alex 9 9,333 01-24-2018 02:25 PM