cam duration and installation settings
12-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi there! Remember me ? I bought a set of cams and i was told they are the 262 Kamakazee ones but finally the seller told me that by mistake gave me another set that they are much more wilder (around 300 degrees ).
Is it possible to find out what exactly the duration is ? How can i do this ?
After that what the installation settings might be ?

I would be gratefull if anybody can help me with this.
Thanks,
George

AE86 FANATIC!!!
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I saw how they measured cam duration and lift in a creative way, they had some sort of wheel between the ratchet and the socket ( it think it are those wheels you also use for some bolts that need to tightened to a degree specification instead of newtonmeters, like head bolts)

With the cams mounted you have to put the first cilinder at the top dead center, now you use the a ratchet in combination with the wheel (the one I saw had steps of 1 degree).Now turn the crankschaft 1 degree and measure the lift by measuring the distance between the shim and the cilinder head.turn another degree and measure again.

if you have done the degrees between opening and closing of the intake valve you can put youre measurements in a graph.

On the X axis you put the degrees and on the Y axis you use the amount of lift measured.

I don't know how accurate this is but it should give you an indication of your cam profile.This method can also show you why 2 cams which both are 272 degrees and have a lift of 8mm have a complete different effect on the engine, with this method you can also see how fast it is opened to the specified 8mm and closed as well.

I hope it makes sense haha

Good luck!

Real men race downhill
12-05-2006, 12:52 AM
sorry but i don't think that i fully understood your method Wouter ... Banging head
How can the graph help me determine the duration of the cams?
And after that how can i install them ? with what settings ?

AE86 FANATIC!!!
12-05-2006, 11:00 AM
What Wouter is referring to is a degree wheel. Type it into google and print what you find onto a piece of paper.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - cam duration and installation settings]

Basically what you do is mount the degree wheel someway onto your crank. Set the engine at TDC and rotate the degree wheel so an indicator (make one yourself..use a bolt or something) points at zero degrees. Then you start rotating the crank an at the same time measuring the amount of lift at the cyl#1 valves..You do this with some stepsize..preferably individual degrees.
What you end up with is a graph of degrees at crank VS lift. Duration is the number of degrees between opening of a valve and closing of that same valve.

Basically..its not that easy to measure. You need at least to fab up a degree wheel and also some kind of structure to mount a micrometer on top of the valvestem.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-05-2006, 11:59 AM
ok i understood now ...
after determining the duration what will be the settings to install them ?
e.g. the KK101 262 cams needs to be installed at 112-114degrees ...
How can i find out this for mine? Dumb question

AE86 FANATIC!!!
12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Take a look at billzilla's site. He has some recomendations..otherwise contact the manufacturer.

You could offcourse tune the camtiming on a dyno.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cam Cap Bolt Snapped!! Alex170984 1 3,412 06-08-2018 01:17 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  HKS 260 8.0 Cam Card d3nso 5 6,325 02-14-2018 08:29 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Torque settings kazi 4 5,527 03-28-2017 12:15 AM
Last Post: kazi
  suspicious TRD cam ;) fax0815 6 9,244 02-02-2013 09:44 PM