Stock Bigport Engine + ITB?s?!
06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I think this topic will be alive sooner! Smile

I have some questions regarding this setup.
Wich ITB's are the most suitable to run on 16v big port map engine?
I read the blacktop one's work with map sensor from stockl, so they shoud suit better for vacuum hoses plus they are slighlty larger 45mm vs 43mm ST.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Andrax Wrote:I think this topic will be alive sooner! Smile

I have some questions regarding this setup.
Wich ITB's are the most suitable to run on 16v big port map engine?
I read the blacktop one's work with map sensor from stockl, so they shoud suit better for vacuum hoses plus they are slighlty larger 45mm vs 43mm ST.

Thanks

To answer this question we need more information. As there are no ITBs that fit all power levels. If the bigport is stock no ITBs are still superior.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
My engine is a 16v bigport.
the ideia is to get the 20v itb's to adapt into my 16v. The doubt is whether chose the blacktop or silvertop ones!

thanks for the quick input!
06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
OK let's try again what are your engine specs apart from being a big port 16V.
I ask because fitting ITBs to any 4AGE with less than 150+ HP is pointless and will drive worse than stock!

AE86 ex-daily
06-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Yes I know about it. My question was poiting to decide to go over BT or ST itb's. To know wich ones are easy to fit with out having to drill, solder, cut anything to them. I know I'll need to plug the vaccum hoses to them, and build the intake manifold, so wich ones are the best base to start with?

For the engine plans are bigger cams, headers, ported head, hi-comp gasket, engine management. Pretty much the usual, maybe some aftermarket pistons as well.

But my main question is regarding the main differences on BT and ST itb's wich one would suit better. Or they're pretty much the same?
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Oh.. my old thread!

I've recently bought a full setup of ITB's.

They came from a much superior engine and is already sorted out with the MegaSquirt.

My plan is to get the engine going stock with the ITB's and all the MS management for awhile and then buy some cams and refurbish the engine!

Respect!
06-12-2013, 01:01 PM
They are both basically too big so I'd go with the silvertip ones unless you can use the blacktop ones incl. the vacuum plate.

But just for pure driving pleasure - stick with the original single throttle body and TVIS as this is capable of delivering enough air up to 170hp which you probably won't get with your plans.

AE86 ex-daily
06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
But our purpose is to get the car different!

Andrax and me are basically moving to MegaSquirt and ITB's at the same pace... And the reason why i'm moving to ITB's is because of

1st - Sound....
2nd - I love they way it looks
3rd - Allows me engine modifications without any limitations from now on

Those are the main reasons...

I know that for now i'm not making any extra horsepower, but eh money doesn't stretch! Later on i'm building a mean machine myself! I was looking for a GZE with a bigport head.... Something naughty! :wink:

For now it will be a challenge to make the MS work with all the wiring i need to make.... But i love this challenges! Smile

Regards
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I understand, I've got ITBs myself though along with a fully built bottom end custom pistons etc. My cams are currently on the mild side but this can easily be changed. Basically my bottom end should support 200 and I went with ITBs for response rather than sound an looks.
If you look at oldeskewltoys build it proves that they aren't necessary for quite a while though. As nice as they are the make quite a few things more complicated too.

PS: the MS wiring isn't rather easy just do some proper planing. I built two so far myself and helped set up another one across half the earth by emails and Skype.

AE86 ex-daily
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
It seems we have someone else to help us during the process!
My main point to going this way is as pack have said for the challange.

I'm still gathering the parts needed and then do everything by myself.
It seems ST itbs are more apropriate for a mid ported engine.

By the other hand, going for itb's and fully programable engine management gives you the opportunity to keep upgrade the engine with no limits.

As for the MS wiring, the plan is to use a 2nd ignitor form a AFM engine, maybe some rewiring for the injectors and use the stock wiring harness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital speedometer on stock dashboard FanIsHere 0 977 11-09-2022 01:36 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  82mm Stock compression Pistons apardal 4 2,263 11-24-2021 04:26 PM
Last Post: apardal
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,969 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Most stock-resembling exhaust for the AE86? DaLanZhu 4 4,949 03-24-2019 04:10 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Early tvis red top from e9 gti small or bigport? Ryo 3 6,977 04-20-2018 09:14 AM
Last Post: Ivan141