Solid rear brace?
07-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Solid rear brace?
Hey people, got another thing on my mind...

We all know that the 86 chassis isafter all those years almost like a chewing gum... a used chewing gum, so a brace is a must, especialy when much harder suspension setup is used.

I know that the best way how to firm up the body is a roll cage, but unfourtunetly a cage is something strictly prohibited by our road law (fuck!). But why not to use solid steel pipes just between the rear shocks top mounts? Smile
So, what do wou think about this idea? Would it work? What design would you suggest?

Thanks a lot for helping me out! Smile

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
Find all posts by this user
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Solid rear brace?
Why not use strut braces to start?

You could take a triangle bar in the rear and a regular one in the rear.
This would be an easy start.

Additionally there are floor braces available.
And body braces, for example under the front fenders.

Or if you can weld, jsut throw in some extra piping.
If you wanna go all out you could also stitch weld the body.
Might be a little too much though.

Speed Industries
Hurdnerwaeldlistr. 73
8808 Pfaeffikon
Switzerland
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: +4155 420 15 69
page: http://www.speed-industries.ch
MSN: [email protected]

We have all the parts your Hachi needs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Solid rear brace?
spit I have been abusing my ae86 since I have it and no problems with the chassis mate. As long as you don't see alot of track it won't harm the car.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
07-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Solid rear brace?
I have those floor braces, rear shock braces and C-pillar braces in my Trueno. They do exactly what I expected, which is absolutely nothing. You can buy them off me if you want.

One member made an under car brace that looked like it might actually work *mr. Gud? You might want to take a look at that one.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Solid rear brace?
Id love to spend a lot of money on all those nice aftermarket braces, but unfourtunetly I cant afford that. The only thing Im capable of paying is a pipe, welder and a hacksaw Big Grin
Heres a pic of what design a boy I know uses right now (sorry, no real pic), Im really concidering asking him to make something like that for my 86 too.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Solid rear brace?]

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
07-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Solid rear brace?
NoHachi Wrote:I have those floor braces, rear shock braces and C-pillar braces in my Trueno. They do exactly what I expected, which is absolutely nothing. You can buy them off me if you want.

One member made an under car brace that looked like it might actually work *mr. Gud? You might want to take a look at that one.

You must be lucky enough to have a really well put together 86...

I agree with you on the c-pillar brace, it seemed to do very little. The only thing I ever noticed was in my previous 86 it quieted all my sunroof rattles, and that could be simply because it changed the harmonics of the car.

BUT I have to disagree on SOME strut/rear floor bar braces. I definately noticed large differences in how well/predictable the car handled with them, than without them. Especially when it came to feeling/knowing how the car would react. Much better driver input, less chassis noise/flex, better cornering/drifting. I've actually worked with a relatively new friend of mine who is going to start producing something similar to the UEO rear bar, but with improvements. Anyways, heres my post from another couple of forums.

Quote:In the last couple months a friend of mine met up with a local guy who is interested in making braces & brackets, and maybe other cool stuff for S13's, maybe S14's and after talking to him the AE86.

I spent some time getting ideas. And as I used to have a UEO rear brace in my car and liked it, I decided to base a new design off of it. BUT, I felt there was still room for improvement. So, within the last couple weeks we've built and I've personally tested a prototype rear brace which is stronger, stiffer and possibly lighter (haven't weighed them yet to verify).

We are gearing up for a production run (number's actually made will be depending on the response/desire) for these which will definately be sub $200 (shipped lower 48 ). Once we figure out all the costs involved with laser cutting, hardware, possibly powdercoating, etc. We will be able to give the actual price. I'm a corolla guy, so I know price DOES make a difference, especially since I'm a cheapskate at times myself (but not at the expense of getting crap, just to get the best deal & part I can for the money).

I'm sure there are a few members here who are active on the nissan forums, if your an active member on Zilvia.net you can check out his reputation/vouches. His name is Jonnie Fraz & he has been putting out his own design front tension rod braces for the S13 for 2-3 months now.

Anyways, I have an AMT rear tri-bar which is nice in and of itself, as well as an Aerodyne rear hatch bar. I felt a big difference in the stiffness of the rear chassis just installing the prototype "Stealth FAB: Rear AE86 brace" ON TOP of already having the other two braces installed! I personally recommend this brace... As some of you know I don't mind sharing good info, tips, write-ups, etc. And I'm also not willing to put whatever name/rep I have in the 86 community behind something unless I believe it is/will be worth it. (And I don't even get anything for promoting this... except to have created a part/design I like.)

These probably won't be available for at least 2 weeks, and if your interested post up.

Anyways, now on to the fun stuff... you get to see us putting the prototype together here:

Quote:[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Solid rear brace?]

Cool shot of Jon tacking the coped/notched ends of the main arms.

A couple more cool shots, of the diagonals (triangulation is good!) being tacked in place.

Welding it all together

Nice looking MIG welds, can't wait to see what he can do once he get's his TIG... If you hear these welds in person you realize how awesome of a welder he is. You can HEAR the penetration and smoothness of his welds. Of course, since he is a professional welder I would expect some decent skills Wink (FYI: these are his 'dirty' untouched welds, no cleaning or wire brushing here at all.)

Also, this is just a prototype, not a production piece so it's not a nice as the real ones will be - afaik.

Fully welded.

Painted.

Installed. (note: missing 1 of the 3 front bolts on both sides in this picture, forgot to bring them with me)

Andrew
07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Solid rear brace?
So are you selling these assassin?
07-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Solid rear brace?
evfan42 Wrote:So are you selling these assassin?

I'm not personnally no... I just 'designed' and tested them.

They'll be for sale as soon as we finish getting the bracketry cut & from the lasercutter... maybe powder coated as well.

Andrew
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Solid rear brace?
Looks good. How this brace improves handling - it's located at back of rear shocks and 4-links mounting points ?
07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Solid rear brace?
jamiemirror Wrote:Looks good. How this brace improves handling - it's located at back of rear shocks and 4-links mounting points ?

I had to think about it for a minute, I just knew from having a UEO rear bar that it worked. But I felt I could and wanted to improve upon their design.

You & I forget when thinking about the 86 normally, that the front and rear sub-frames do not connect. And the rear subframe rails run up past the shock towers and back to the rear bumper. There is quite a bit of flex in our cars, thats why so many run some serious stitch welding, as well as weld in bracing via plates, bars & cages.

The placement of this rear bar ties the whole rear subframe together which in turns stiffens up the whole rear chassis including the 4-link & panhard areas. As well as the shock & spring seat areas. Tying together the whole of the rear suspension/chassis. (At least, I think. It's pretty late where I am right now and I've got to get up early for work)

Andrew

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TUV - Strut brace pack 3 4,829 09-08-2018 08:17 PM
Last Post: d3nso
  Rear ae86 rear discs & pad part numbers? J-86 4 5,422 11-30-2012 06:32 PM
Last Post: J-86
  trd solid spacer how to? slowboy2 11 14,928 04-21-2012 08:13 AM
Last Post: slowboy2
  4 Puck Solid Clutch Disc filh 11 10,090 11-07-2011 11:40 PM
Last Post: filh