Silver '86 Levin...
05-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
I have been building a thread on AE86irl for a long time, but wanted to bring it to here, so i will copy...please wait and enjoy the read! Thumbs up!

When im back home from Japan i need a fun car so bought the car already in pretty damn good shape. But as you know a car like this will always be a 'project'. Being between Japan and here (Ireland) throughout the year I needed something fun but cheap, and the '86 was always on the list, having previously owned several other types of cars from drift, to big power drag/circuit.

I have drove 20v, 4AGZE, SR20 etc, but have always came back the the 16v 4AG, so this had to be the base for starters, its pretty 'stock' for my standard so far, but its getting there slowly...Granted this project will be long term and has only began, but a few things have been done already.

First on the list was a good clean and wash/tidy up when got her home...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Silver '86 Levin...]

I had already a few parts to put on, including the TRD spoiler etc and marks to tidy up on the car. With all this done and a good service, i booked her for the MOT, straight through, no problem, then time to do some paperwork, get her registered/taxed and on the road!

After a few days driving, and enjoying the setup of the '86, it was time to get more serious and keep her in good order...next step was undersealing.

Up to my local tuner/garage here A.I AutoSport for a quick look over, fine tune setup, and overnight undersealing. Would really have been a shame to not look after this clean shell, so this was first priority.

Quick pic of the '86 in amongst the Giants...gets the thumbs up from A.I

Here's some pics of underneath/after undersealing, VERY clean indeed!

Out for some late night action, ran into a few problems...The car was spluttering badly and stuggling...so i limped home to diagnose the problem. Checked all the usual misfire suspects, but all seemed in order...especially after its recent service and driving so well.

Turns out it was a small connector and one of the injectors had came lose...luckily i had another loom from old Mk1 MR2 here, so set about transplanting the injector loom connectors and making here fire 100%...after a few hours work, turned the key and she sounded perfect. But since the problem was occuring when she got warm or went over bad bumps/corners loosened connection, i let the 86 warm up and went for a drive, after a weeks trial period she has been perfect ever since! Problem solved!

Took a few photos since then, as seen in the members section!

I have probably missed out loads of stuff so far, but I will come back to it again soon. Im just doing a brief write up quickly. Enjoying driving the car so much and hunting around her more, aswell as finding out her history back in Kansai Japan, I had been pretty busy, but glad to know there was alot more to this AE86 than i had initally thought. More tuning work has been done to the engine than i had first known, as well as ALOT of race spec Chassis work, but its all good, just a shame I'll never know completly the full spec, but maybe if i meet Masuda San sometime I'll learn more...

Enjoying plenty of 'Grip' driving, aswell as some sideways, its been a good few months! Some pics from local meetings...

Next up was to free the car up again. Took a while longer than i wanted, due to customs trying to be smart and holding my parts i had airmailed over, not to mention the local Toyota clowns giving me an Inlet manifold gasket set instead of exhaust gasket set, so i rang up my contacts in Japan and got it sent the next day, so then on went this TRUST 4-1 manifold header, new gaskets, Zacetec Japan decat pipe and rear baffle removed!

Its LOUD, but in a good way, and driving really well...video soon!:nod:

more updates/write ups as i find time of course, plenty of plans as always. Never really done are we? Going to fabricate a heatshield for the distributor, i got a template plan in Japan, so can use that to do it right, aswell as a radiator cooling panel, then its Brake upgrade next, oil catch for track action, apart from that im happy enough doing little things here and there, cosmetics will take place over the winter time, so i'll keep you updated!

Bought some new wheels too, so il have them on over winter, more pics soon

Find all posts by this user
05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
Had trouble the last month or more, and finally got to the bottom of it! Car was pi$$ing me off bigtime, running the battery flat constantly...Had a new battery put in then everything tested, alternator was weak, so got new regulator put in, Just when i thought this was all solved and seemed fine, but it was only prolonging the problem, and it was then running flat every 2nd or 3rd day...Dead, no lights on dash, nothing! No warning signs along the way, or Battery light on dash...weird!

Got in touch with a friend of a friend, who was VERY good and thorough, took the car for 3 nights to let her run flat, checked electrics front to back, everything, and i mean EVERY wire, fuse, light etc, but again, pointed back to the alternator...strange i thought, after having all this done, but i would try anything at this stage.

Ripped all apart, as this was not going to beat us...He rang a contact of his, inspected the alternator, and as much as parts had been replaced it turned out to be a little diode inside that was the problem. Upon turning off the car and locking up, the alternator itself was not storing/going off correctly and losing all the power/running the car flat. Tedious, annoying, frustrating work, especially with no normal alternator problem signs, but seems to have been sorted now! Big cheers to Cloko for replacement Alternator, and everyone else for their help. Lets hope thats the problem sorted, will know in a few weeks for 100%...

Also, coming into winter now i took off the Longchamps (needed tyres anyway) as i want to keep them in good order and polish for summer,
and decided to go for a winter wheel...SSR Mesh, with Bridgstone Potenza tyres. Worked out cheaper/better than buying new Dunlops or Toyos!

Quick update with some new pics etc. Been flat out, but also managed to do quite a bit lately. Engine bay etc starting to look alot more tidy...here's the photos!

What I started with, the white bay always annoyed me slowly, and had to be sorted...

Stripped everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, sent parts off for blasting, while I started into making the bay silver to match. With ALOT of time, effort and patience it was taking shape, then in the evenings I painted up a few parts.

Had thought of lots of different colours to do the covers but Eventually decided on a nice bright blue. Its different and stands out well against the new silver...

Quite a while later, set about the masking for the final writing in silver...

The finished result...have dulled down a little now with heat since this pic! Looks good...

A LONG time later, engine bay all painted up to match silver, and then another few nights of putting it all back together again...some pics below! Tough work, and honestly I would never do it again! Pain, but its definetly worth it. Alot wont know the work that went in, as all they will see is silver car, and bay, but I know you guys here will appreciate it. Took it for a nice drive lastnight, all going VERY well, happy for now, its slowly getting there, just a few other things to do by new year, then set about the big tuning work later in the year:nod:

Finally getting into the good weather, its been all go go go for tracks when have the chance, Kirkistown!
Not really a track suited to '86s, alot of straights etc too but its not bad, hard on brakes at times though sompared to some!

After that it was prep, service, brakes, suspension setup and few other things just in time for Mondello...

Just managed to get catch tank sorted for Mondello in time, simple but nice little setup...

Next up was Mondello, car ran sooo well, all day, after driving 2 hours to the track, drove hard all day, and 2 hours home, flawless, so i was pretty happy! The Dunlop Direzzas were awsome all day,and plenty left for another trackday or 2 over summer. Now im starting to see why this car really was setup for grip/track use...getting into it now! Catch tank served its purpose well, and is a MUST for Mondello i have to say! Thanks to Nikki & Paddy for pics..

since that its just been servicing and good clean up, few little things but nothing major done...more soon

Nice and clean, catch tank in, Beatrush Laile JP radiator Shroud, and just enjoying driving more...when i get the time!!

few good pics taken from shoot this week...

Spark Plug cover now black too:happy: just need to tidy up that strut brace next..

05-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
Quick little update since i got some time to sort pics/write up! Car all ready for a nice summer!

But as with anything, not with a few problems along the way!:thumpsdown: First up, Fekin FlexiTongue

After enjoying plenty of use out of the Trust Manifold, i was driving home late one night and just knew something wasn't right. The car had got quieter haha, so i set about finding out where this blowout was that was causing it. Exhaust is 100%, and i just couldn't believe it was coming from the newest part, the Greddy 4-1 manifold/downpipe! No obvious signs, but deep within the flexi, somewhere a small crack had formed in the weld. VERY disappointed, and slightly pissed off as it's very unlike Trust, i contacted them, (thankfully japan Headquarters). Shocked themselves, they immediately set about sorting the problem, and gave me the go ahead to repair this existing manifold in the meantime. So my welder friend set about carrying out a very VERY good repair, and new flexi, saving the rest of the system.

Can clearly see the problem here at inside welds, not much, but enough and wanting perfection, it gets fixed!!!

In goes the new one, all sorted and perfect again, also note the Undersealing:dft009:

So alongside Trust we're working close to see what caused this, and how it can be prevented. Being honest, i think it was
just unlucky and a bad bad bump on a shit road, but at top money and products, all feedback helps!

So with the remainder of the perfectly intact flexi, it houses my Pens...Tongue

More service bits, Plugs, Oil, filters etc, should tie me over to its BIG year sevice in summer!

It will be getting complete overhall, new belts, Oils, g/box, diff, etc, anything it needs, it gets!

Next plan for the summer was new tyres and the SSR Longchamps back on! I really loved the look of the gold SSR mesh,
but they'll be back again come winter time. For summer its the Longchamps, all polished up and treated to new rubber!
Dunlop Direzza sports on front again, and Yokohama Parada 2s on the rear, which are turning out to be an awsome tyre so far!

Washed up, and good polish/wax, she's sorted for summer time:dft009:

So im enjoying it at the minute as always, stopped for a pic roadside over the weekend! Sakura...

just over a month on, I've finally time to sit down and write up a bit of an update. Here goes..

Finished up with the car 1 year on at its last show there (Mosney 2009) and local Jap meet, here's some photos!

An arty photo (HDR Style) i got round to doing, looking good at Jap Meet...

Then it was off the road for her big overhaul and MOT test. Anyone who knows me already know the cars maintained to a VERY high standard
all throughout the year, but after many trackdays, alot of driving, etc I'd been expecting it to need a bit for MOT, but was quite the opposite.
Full engine overhaul, fine tune and setup, new belts, fluids etc, Oh boy is it running perfect now, I thought it was good before, but now its just a different car:thumbsup:

Not knowing the full history with any car, and after the trackdays etc it was time to change all the fluids and gearbox oil, diff oil, brakes were also done,

Then a fine tune suspension setup by my main mechanic (rally driver). The car is just so tight and performing amazingly for an AE86, very happy so far.

MOT time, she needed nothing bar a set of brake pads (which were due from her last local trackday) and had a tiny pin leak in front brake line,
so upgraded them and she was getting Pad overhaul anyway. Ended up going for the Endless Super Streets up front
with new lines and Ferodo racing upgrade in the back, now it stops sooo well, great setup!

So she walked the MOT with flying colours for another year's driving. Car really is perfect at the minute,
so I'll just be enjoying the chance to drive it when I can, then hit up as many local tracks as possible,
along with Nurburgring trip later in the year and maybe few events in UK if can get the time.

Here's some photos for now, my next update will need to be a video I think :buzzin:

Some of my latest photos, both normal and HDR 'artistic' style:dft003:

Well '86 day turned into '86 week, including the weekend. I got word of some action happening Friday night in a town about 1 hour away (I wont reveal names), so rounded up some friends and went for the drive. Was a VERY eventful night from start to finish, but we had fun in the end. Huge turnout of cars hanging out. Later there was some drift action in a nearby Industrial Estate, but it didn't last too long before cops bust it, so it was out on the street again with a few hundred cars. We decided to head home via some awsome Touge Style roads for some grip battles. Have to say it was a GREAT drive. Summer rocks! Photos...

Really love this picture, sums up the whole nights atmosphere!

The AE86, I'm VERY happy with how its performing lately..

The weekend finished up then with AE86 Toyota day at Cookstown! BIG turnout! :happy:

Pic taken by Bree from the site, looking nice and clean, thanks Bree

05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
She's maintained to a rediculously high level, just how it should be, so she gives no bother!

Here's few pics from a show this last weekend...cant wait for the AE86irl Kilkenny meet!

few latest snaps...she got a mag shoot done recently, enjoy...

Here's some preview snaps of the setup/shoot...i got bored so took pics...

The finished result...be a while before its in mags yet though with waiting lists...

First feature should be out for this summer, so should be worth buying, will keep things updated!!

Well i've done a few more things before the Trackday, so i'll do a quick update here and talk through it...

Started off by getting lots of nice tidy new parts :dft003: and a bit more Carbon Fibre simple things...

Carbon Fibre Timing cover, Plug cover, Windscreen panel, and Billion Carbon cold air feed intake!

Ordered a nice new Cusco brace for the front, and T3 Tri-bar add on, Tow hook for Mondello...

Also picked up a Silk Road Engine Dmaper from 'sc86' on here
:dft003:

During the meantime, ALOT of little details were getting done, that many wouldn't notice, but i will haha!

Painted up all the black plastics/trims, brackets, headlight brows, Radiator brackets, manifold all redone etc

Aswell as that, fancied a change of colour, so got the Cam Covers redone in a custom gold! (Looks amazing in sun)

Still have a stack of parts to get finished and fitted over the next few weeks,
quick rundown including earth kit/stabilizer, all new hoses, Pivot shift/tacho parts...

This is how it looks so far, getting there slowly, will be all done by summer im sure!

Headed down to Mondello Trackday! Had all prepared and finished up the bro's (JohnnyTA22CELICA) aswell for the Trackday!

Was going REALLY well, but after a faulty Rotor Arm my luck was up and the day over, should really start carrying more spares...

All sorted and fired up now, so next time will be better im hoping, here's some photos from the day anyway...

This time with 2 cars going we trailered mine (no tax) and i drove Johnny's, thankfully we did, trailer came in handy!

Some photos along the way, rain soon cleared over, and sun was shining at Mondello...

05-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Silver '86 Levin...

This is all hows its been before the new engine goes in when finished building...Feature is out soon!

Check out JULY Issue of BANZAI Magazine!!
05-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
Very nice & clean levin Thumbs up!
05-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
i like the car..verry nice Respect!
05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
gorgeous....

Cheated on my いたずらな女の子 and now I can't get enough of her..
05-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
very nice Thumbs up!

toyota corolla coupe 1985 drift car
toyota corolla coupe 1987 road car.
05-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Silver '86 Levin...
lovely lovely car! Smile

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Silver '86 Levin...] http://www.jdmbits.com