Vote for auto-resize of large pictures
09-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Just a suggestion: perhaps it is possible to automatically resize pictures to the forum dimensions. Some of the larger posted pictures make for some difficult viewing.
its not that big a problem, but if there already is some sort of plugin out there..

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2004, 08:47 PM
I totally agree!

Too large pictures are only annoying.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Vote for auto-resize of large pictures]
09-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if php can figure out sizes for pictures, the only way it could do it I guess is if it parses the imagines itself so you never directly link to the picture but you link to a php script that loads the picture specified between the img tags into the server memory and resizes it before sending it to the browser. Also I wonder if php knows the size it needs to resize to as it has no information about the clients dimentions I think.

It will make things slower for pictures that are not stored on the server though.

It is possible to attach pictures to messages that get resized automatically when uploaded to the server. But that would mean pictures get stored on the server. That in itself is not to bad as our server has plenty of room but still it may put limits on what we can do.

So we'll look into some possibilities. For now I guess we just need to make a rule that pictures in posts should not be wider then 640 pixels and that posters should ensure this.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I know that forums like tweakers support image resizing by the poster in the img tag. Support for that will require either some research in the bbcode or find a mod for phpBB.

Auto image resizing can be done, but will require the server to load the picture first, then look at the size and resize it in the img tag or store it locally on the server. That will definetly require some development and is imo quite slow.

I'll see what I can do about the first option.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I think it is a great idea...I always try to keep my pic sizes low for use on forum, but dont like to store multiple versions (hi-Q & low size) of the same pictures in my already limited webspace. Auto resize on the forum would make life easier, but I dont think i would want it if it bogs down on the forum speed. Speed is the nr.1 priority on forums imo.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Ivan141 Wrote:I think it is a great idea...I always try to keep my pic sizes low for use on forum, but dont like to store multiple versions (hi-Q & low size) of the same pictures in my already limited webspace. Auto resize on the forum would make life easier, but I dont think i would want it if it bogs down on the forum speed. Speed is the nr.1 priority on forums imo.
Problem with image resizing not being done by the forum is that if the images are very large, they will only be scaled down by the browser. In that case the readers of the topic/post still have to download the whole image. Undecided

Another solution is storing the images on a pic-server, I can facilitate such a function (in fact: it's already on the frontpage) but atm I have a non-offsite-image-linking policy (due to obvious reasons) on this and all images will have a TRUENO dot ORG logo at the right bottom of the image... Atleast the images will be shown on the forum. But ofcourse I can change such things. Tongue

09-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I found an "auto" image resizer for phpbb. It's JavaScript, so your browser definetly needs JavaScript enabled. It still loads the image entirely, but if the image has been loaded and is too large for the screen size the script will resize the image and make it clickable. Smile

Setting custom width and height is still a problem: bbcode is more complicated than thought. I'll try to do that whenever I have the time.

In the meanwhile I'm also doing some investigation in an attachment mod (see how secure it is) so maybe uploading images will be available in the future. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Annual Old School Import Showdown pictures tomstwincam 1 4,188 10-06-2011 02:56 AM
Last Post: tomstwincam
  Dear AEU86 - Looking for Pictures of OEM Hood HOLES for wipe Okami 6 8,160 12-29-2010 10:30 PM
Last Post: Okami
  Pictures Corolla AE86 Celebration Nikko Circuit!! (56K no!!) Miguel - Newera 38 89,567 08-01-2010 03:01 PM
Last Post: Kid Karola
  more pictures from this levin? Petros AE86 11 16,366 05-05-2010 12:30 PM
Last Post: Petros AE86
  HachiRock Festa 2009 pictures PART2 DJexor 8 11,232 01-03-2010 06:17 PM
Last Post: Lajoosh