SR -> GT swap
02-16-2006, 03:40 PM
SR -> GT swap
2 cars, one SR (4A engine) and one GT (4A-GE)

How much time ("money") would it cost to do a complete swap?
Remove everything from SR and install GT parts: engine, gearbox, prop shaft, diff, fuel lines, fuel tank, interour, electrical instalation, steering colum?

How much money would it cost to do a such a thing? What do you think?

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2006, 03:45 PM
SR -> GT swap
Zax,

it will cost time, not money I'd assume. Unless you hire someone to do it.

If you have the two cars next to eachother, my guess it shouldn't take more then a weekend for someone who has done it before and knows what needs to be done.

If you haven't done it before (like meSmile) probably weeks trying to figure out where everything goesSmile

Also depends alot on how good your workplace is and how much work you need to do on the hachi go to get it in the condition you wantSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
02-16-2006, 03:54 PM
SR -> GT swap
added remark from ICQ: also depends on how rusted the two cars is, if you spend hours trying to get stuff loose, it will take longer.

Also depends on what you wanne do extra, replace the bushings while you are at it? change the shocks and springs? it all takes extra time...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
SR -> GT swap
i wonder why you need change gearbox and propellershaft?
its not the same as on GTS? its probably in better condition on powerless sr5.
also electrical instalation should be the same except for the engine.

the SR5 tank is not compatible with efi fuelpump?

i plan something similar, info would be nice.

thanks

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
SR -> GT swap
SekiguchiUeno Wrote:i wonder why you need change gearbox and propellershaft?
its not the same as on GTS? its probably in better condition on powerless sr5.
also electrical instalation should be the same except for the engine.

the SR5 tank is not compatible with efi fuelpump?

i plan something similar, info would be nice.

thanks
Hmmm, didn't think my fuelpump and gearbox have been swapped. Undecided
However as for the electrical system: it is different because of efi. So why bother modifying your loom if you already have a perfectly good loom? Okay, it will take some time to redo everything inside the interior behind the dash, but that should not be a very big problem since you already have to take a part from the dash out to get to the cpu anyway. Wink

Just swap them, and sell the SR for mad money$$.. Tongue

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - SR -> GT swap]
02-16-2006, 08:40 PM
SR -> GT swap
you mus change the fuelpump because of higher presure needed by efi, ok i can run on carbs then i have no worries

02-16-2006, 09:09 PM
SR -> GT swap
SekiguchiUeno Wrote:you mus change the fuelpump because of higher presure needed by efi, ok i can run on carbs then i have no worries

well im goin from 4a (SR) to 20v so whats the best fuel pump to upgrade too?

"life begins at 8000rpms" - Going Racing

02-16-2006, 09:16 PM
SR -> GT swap
It tooks appr 2 days with one educated and experienced mechanic, and a couple of good friends. Smile Stripping is not a big deal, we started with a rusted '83, everything came out nicely. Much easier to change the complete fuel tank and rear and than change these in parts imho.
The gearbox itself isn't necessary to change, just the bellhousing. But if the gearbox is out, wht not change in a complete package? The proshafts are the same. We didn't changed the whole interior, just mixed the parts because of the quality. The cluster need to be changed, too. Do not forget to change the speedo drive, it's different. The clutch slave cylinder is different (right side-left side, cause of bellhousing.
02-16-2006, 11:05 PM
SR -> GT swap
ZaX, really, seeing all your posts, how you do everything yourself, and with the help of friends, it's funny to read this post...how much money would it cost? ... come on Smile

unless you want quotes from us, because you got too much money and no time...

I am free from tuesday, and I can give you a quote of $500 to do the swap... but you must provide good accomodation, 2 meals a day, and pay for fuel for me to get to you and back.

ok, that was all joking... now seriously.

So your thinking of letting someone do it, but dont know how much to pay, and you wanna get a rought guide on time needed... so he doesnt over-charge you...

I would have to agree with the posts above... if they are both rusted, than removal of items should be fun, but even more fun will be mounting things back in places where there is rust, or broken bolts, etc...

For someone who knows what he's doing, it will be a matter of 2-4 days, for someone learning it can take up to 2 weeks or more.

But in any case, broken bolts, rust, parts which will not come loose, etc. will slow the whole process down quite a bit.

Anyway, good luck.

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
02-17-2006, 01:19 AM
SR -> GT swap
can anyone specific full parts list that i need for rebuild.
(not the ussualy parts as engine and diffSmile

why can i not use bellhousing with clutch master cylinder?clash it anything on 4age engine?