Internet troubles
08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Internet troubles
Hey Guys,

Just in case someone is trying to reach my website or tries to email me on my [email protected] account, KPN has disconnected my ADSL account.

With some luck it will be running again later this day but after cancelling my phone line 2 weeks ago and now my internet, man I'm getting stressed out.

It seems some building corperation has given orders to disconnect me. Thing is, I'm a private house owner and so I have absolutely no business with this building corperation. The phone company is doing their best to undo all the damage they have caused (my phoneline was back after 5 daysSad ) but it turns out to be a difficult task...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
08-31-2005, 11:13 AM
Internet troubles
If this was america, I would sue them if I were you...But it's not so you would probably get shafted by the housing corporation anyway..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Internet troubles
Try being married to someone from HK.

Lily can not understand why we can't sue the Trias and the KPN for millions..

Well thats overstating it but obviously we dutch people have another way of dealing with these things.

I personally dont care, everyone makes mistakes and if they solve it nicely and friendly I'm a happy customer. If they try to screw me, then I screw them back..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

08-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Internet troubles
The problem with undoing a disconnected adsl line is that you probably will be connected to a different slot as before. This information needs to be transfered to your isp as well. Hopefully they don't have great difficulty dealing with such changes.

I still find it very weird they can cancel your line just by ordering a cease. In the current case only the ISP can cancel a line at the Telecomprovider, in your case Planet cancelling at KPN. Then planet has to cease it with the proper records (e.g. owner of the line along with the address and the telephonenumber or line-id).

And KPN can disconnect your adsl line when ceasing your whole line, but to do so they need a proper cease for your line which also should hold the same records.

So they really fucked up. I know from experience some of ISPs and Telecomproviders bend the rules a bit so in fact they do an inquiry at the telecomprovide who owns the line and all other records and then ask with the same records to disconnect it. This is due to the fact noone except the telecomproviders can have access to these records, but the clients not always fill in the records completely. I assume this might have been the case.

According to the OPTA you should complain at your ISP first (Planet), then the Telecomprovider (KPN), then the Consumentenbond and as last resort: OPTA. I'd say try to have planet sort it out first and see you get a decent compensation.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Internet troubles]
08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Internet troubles
Banpei,

I know, I'm involved with systems that interact with KPN's T-press system that handles line change requests from other telco's and ISPs. Even if a single digit in the request mismatches KPN will ignore the request. very nice if you have some difficult characters in your last name or in your street name, you have to look at how the name is written on the last KPN invoice and copy that exactly in your request.

My guess why this was alot 'easier' is that the forementioned system was put into place when the telco market opened up and KPN doesn't want their competition to start changing lines left and right and getting them into trouble (the customer will blame KPN, not the company that f*cked up).

Building corporations have been around for ages and they have had deals with KPN for decades. They have a direct line to account managers at KPN and the account managers have a direct line into the KPN system. So ordering a disconnect is a piece of cake for them.

What seems to have gone wrong here is that the building corporation cancelled the line, probably because my number was used x years ago by someone else (I've owned this line for over 8 years and have moved 2ce since always to privately owner houses. The line was originally my parents second line that they connected for me when I was 18 and really got into calling BBSes, I then took ownership when I moved into my own appartment) or because they mixed up another B. Olij (possibly my sister who has the same name as me and does live in a house owned by this building corporation).

KPN failed to correctly check the disconnect order to find out they were about to cancel a line not owned by the building corporation nor owned by someone affiliated with this building corporation but simply put the order through.

That the building corporation simply made a stupid mistake that I can forgive, but I find it more difficult that the building corporation hasn't even apologised for the mistake, for all I know they could do this again because I dont even know if they have corrected the mistake at their end.

KPN on the other hand was a bit difficult at the start (I'm guessing they have to handle angree rentees that get disconnected because they can't pay their rent and dont understand they get disconnected eventhough they pay their phoneline often enough, I'm probably an exception to that rule), but once I got through to the right person and they figured out what had happened they were very helpfull. I work for a number of telecom companies and I know how complex these systems are and that once something is put in motion its hard to turn it around. That makes me more patient with them then your average customer. ]
Also KPN has apologised to me very nicely and I do think they are doing their best to correct the problems.

The only thing that I am very much wondering about is my next invoice. I wouldn't be very surprised if they charge me for the disconnect and reconnect, but if so, they will probably find out how angry I can get if that is not solved quicklySmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

08-31-2005, 01:45 PM
Internet troubles
mux213 Wrote:I work for a number of telecom companies and I know how complex these systems are and that once something is put in motion its hard to turn it around. That makes me more patient with them then your average customer. ]
Also KPN has apologised to me very nicely and I do think they are doing their best to correct the problems.
Well, you shouldn't... I know from experience that customers who yell the most always get things done the fastest. But I also know you are not the type to yell at someone who can't do a thing about your problem, neither am I. Undecided

It's a good thing KPN apologised, if they put it on your next bill you should let the housingcompany pay the bill. Perhaps they will make an apology then. Smile

09-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Internet troubles
I'M BACK ONLINE!!!

WHEEEEEH!!!

Man 4 days without internet at home, seriously, that is no fun at all! But we have a connection again!

Well its one step forwards..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Internet troubles
Yay! No more dead links and pics. Hurray!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WLAN Internet robokill 6 6,022 12-24-2004 08:49 PM
Last Post: robokill