Oil coming out from the PCV and Oil Level Gage...
06-11-2007, 04:37 PM
He's losing oil by squirting it out of the crank case vents, not leaking past valves and puffing huge smoke clouds out of the exhaust.

Leaking head gasket is almost always identified by smoke clouds. Any leak between a cyl and oil chanel will result in that cyl sucking oil from the pressurised oil chanel during the inlet stroke (vacuum). Pressurising the crank case in this way is damn near impossible, you would have to overpower the oil pump pressure or blow all the oil passages clean. In fact, the oil would probably help with sealing the crankcase, reducing its pressure, not raising it.

My money is on the rings going bye bye..Only thing I can think of that will pressurise the crankcase. Luckily there is an easy way to check. Drop some oil into the suspect cyl through before connecting the cyl.pressure.meter. The oil will help the worn rings seal better and readings should be higher then without the oil.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Didn't do the cold compression test yet to eliminate some underline possible causes, but I'm considering disassemblying the whole block and install new pistons and piston rings with a overhaul of oil pump, water pump and get new pulleys.

Then I would hone the block, and balance the crank with the flywheel, pressure plate, and new pulley.

What I need to know is which pistons you guys think I should get. I have shaved the head 0,6mm, block 0,1mm and I was using 0,5mm TRD metal head gasket.

Would you go with high comp forged pistons, like wiseco or similar, or OEM pistons? And which head gasket would you use? What compression do you think I would get?

The engine tune up is good to go to 160hp and ECU rev limit at 8400rpm.

Which choice do you think would be better?
06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I dont know the prices of the oem pistons and rings, but in your case i would consider wiseco or toda, but with the wiseco i think they only have oversized pistons. If you gonna rebuid the engine, is up to you to enlarge the cylinders. Once you shaved the head and lately running 0,5 headgasket, i would go to TRD 0,8 HG because pretty much all high perfomance pistons will raise the compression even more.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Oil coming out from the PCV...el Gage...]
CumpĀ“s
Filipe Oliveira
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
And if you're considering very high level of compression don't forget the heat that will be generated inside the cylinders...

Actually, with 0,6 mm shaved head and 0,1 mm on the block and 0,5 mm headgasket you should already have a CR of 11,47.

This value is considering that you cylinder bore is still 81 mm, otherwise the CR value is lower.

My opinion is to build engine with reliability. Good refrigeration and lubrification sytem and upgraded moving parts like conrods and pistons.

Well, that's my opinion, maybe to "secure" but for me, reliability comes #1.

Keeping the AE86 alive!
06-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Well, If I'm changing the pistons, I'm gonna go for cylinder bore @ 81.5.

New pistons is a must... new conrods I really don't know if it is necessary.

Anyway, Rasteirinho, how do you do the maths on CR?

Best regards
06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I'll make a Excel file for that purpose and send you via MSN

Keeping the AE86 alive!
06-12-2007, 09:28 PM
CR Calculator made in 30 minutes...

http://www.mediafire.com/?amn44j4xxeo

Feel free to download...

Keeping the AE86 alive!
06-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Oh Yeah Rasteirinho
Thumbs up!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Oil coming out from the PCV...el Gage...]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust has white smoke coming out and I dont know why... mister86 3 3,929 01-19-2020 12:06 AM
Last Post: Power_uP
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,942 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,338 06-06-2013 07:36 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  AE86 dash and running lights gone out Mikezore 10 17,875 01-11-2013 07:16 PM
Last Post: Mikezore
  Fuel Cell and Digital Dash Level 4000GT 4 6,699 11-09-2011 12:35 PM
Last Post: Ivan141