Not quite the real thing... EE80 liftback
10-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey guys.

Despite the fact that my car is wrong wheel drive and underpowered I thought I'd set up a project topic anyway...

These photo's where taken by one of you guys during the BBQ :-)

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Not quite the real thing... EE80 liftback]

I've owned the car for 4 years now. Of these 4 years the car has been in storage for 2,5 years. Since it came out of storage last Februari it is officially registered (and sometimes even used) as my parents' second car. Since I don't live with my parents and my parents hardly even use their first car this means it's still not moving most of the time.

The storage hadn't done it much good either. It passed MOT directly apart from a leaky exhaust but it wasn't running to good and the alternator was broken. It took quite some effort to get it running nice and properly again since gaskets and rubbers had gone dry and dust had made it's way into everywhere.

Then once the engine ran fine my father was happy to drive it for a couple of hours and after that the brake callipers where stuck and I needed to rebuild those...

And then there's rust of course. I want to have the car restored and resprayed some day in the future so I don't realy care about the looks of it but I was getting quite worried about structural damage to the rear wheel arches. Last weekend I went to my parents place (first time since bringing it back after AEU86 BBQ) and stripped everything from the boot to inspect them on the inside.

And it wasn't to bad!

The brown stripe on the last photo rusted because it was repaired just before storage and I had to paint it from the inside someday while in storage... which of course I didn't do and "forgot" once I took the car back on the road...

It was actually quite a nice repair once ;-) (at least after sanding it down)

Unfortunally I did find a small rust hole last weekend just below the seat belt mounting. I've "repaired" it with rust converter, filler and some primer which will at least for now stop dirt and moisture from coming in. I've covered the rust on the rear of the arches on the other photo's in rust converter and primer also. No structural repairs but this way structural repairs will still be feasible in the future I hope...

I'm still happy with the car even though I can't afford to drive it, it's sort of ugly, and it's not a hachi :-)
Find all posts by this user
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
neet...

Are the position lamps (front side lamps)
this ones...

SNO-MO-BIRU project started- CHIRO
10-30-2006, 09:29 PM
No, mine doesn't have the integrated direction indicator. Mine only has one white light at the front. On the side there is space for an extra white bulb for American style side lights.

Part numbers for mine are: 81611-12201 (RH) and 81621-12201 (LH)
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I used to have one of those and I loved it, it was pretty fast for a 1.3 aswell.

Looks like a fairly solid car too, nice one Thumbs up!

I had a friend of mine once tell me that he was going to buy one of those and turn it into an AE86 replica and he was being serious.
01-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Drove 2000km since Christmas with the holidays in Denmark and some driving around my place before bringing it back to my parents place yesterday.

Got new MOT today, I only had to have the windscreen wipers replaced.

So no problems at all, boring story really... :-)
01-12-2007, 08:29 PM
well, nice to see it passed in one go..
BTW, I believe I found the horn pad for that steering wheel, it's in my boot somewhere. If my bro shows up this weekend I'll try to give it to him, I'm sure you could drop by to pick it up at his place.
It does need some repairs/bodging if you want it to work a bit nicer..one of the plastic retaining plugs is broken so it doesnt fit very firmly (although it wont drop off or anything.. the horn button itself had a few springs missing, but I believe I already told you that when I gave it to you.
The pad might be fixable with a bot of "soldering" I think..I've gotten really handy with welding plastic back together lately, just needs to have a workable material type.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks Ivan, I think I'll manage to fix it again. You already told me about the missing springs indeed, it's actually 2 out of 3 springs that are missing... The tape used as replacement works fine though Tongue
02-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Smile Smile Smile

Awsome! Cool

Sooo what are the plans?

still no 86
02-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I didn't realise your car was in such good condition. I see quite a EE's over near my work that in fairly good condition too but I doubt they are in as good nick as this. Thumbs up!
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Uhm, well it's far for from perfect. It has quite some rust on the rear wheel arches and my right front fender needs to be replaced because we did this to it some years ago:

Very creative but not a good idea... I would say "fairly good condition" is also the correct description for my car.

Plans: Just keep driving it and fix the rust someday. It is currently my parents second car but at this moment it isn't even running. Don't know what's wrong with it and haven't had time to visit my parents to sort it out.

The plan is I get the car back once I finished studying. However, there's a slight chance I'll be going abroad for a PhD and in that case I'll have to sell it...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OST-071: For an AE71 - Largeport for a liftback oldeskewltoy 16 7,623 04-24-2021 12:31 AM
Last Post: Bean
  my Corolla ee80 ae101rulez 18 24,282 09-19-2010 03:25 PM
Last Post: ae101rulez
  Yonzie's Levin is vacationing in Poland (OK, not quite yet) Yonzie 13 14,308 12-03-2005 03:06 AM
Last Post: Yonzie