Need some top tips on a Beams 3S-GE into AE86 conversion
05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Peeps,

I am currently researching into a Beams 3S-GE into AE86 conversion and have found 86er's thread, Bill Sherwoods conversion and few others. I am wondering if anyone here has any info or sites that might be of interest to me.

I am also considering a Rev 3 3S-GE N/A conversion as it may prove to be a little cheaper, any info on this please.

Does the Rev 3 block share the same bellhousing mounting holes (and engine mounting points, I know they will not be used as the Rev 3's were transversely mounted ) as the Beams engine? As I may take this route for now due to funds.

Any help will be mucho appreciated Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Yep it mounts up the same, however!

Will probably cost more overall, thanks to needing a new intake manifold, new exhuast manifold, new sump. Also need to make oil drain from head, the rear water outlet needs to be remade, and a few other pain in the arse problems that you dont get with an Altezza motor.

Even if you get a beams motor/box for a good price, it's one hell of a job to fit it into an 86, and questionable whether the amount of power you get is worth it. Definitely not worth the trouble for a gen 3 motor.
06-08-2009, 03:56 AM
hey mate

currently doing this conversion at home now.

the beams solves sooooooo many problems and makes the conversion relativley straight forward.

the 6 speed makes tunnel mods mandatory, but a w make sit easier as the taper on the bell housing is sharper.

decide also which is easier for you to get a hold of... a custom sway bar up front or custom engine mounts that bring the engine back far enough to clear the crossmember and stearing rack. The sump on these engines is a wonderful peice of fab, BUT is designed for a front sump 6 cylinder sooo it hangs a LONG way out front of the engine. If you can get a custom sway bar made, mounting the engine forward is a bit easier and doesnt mess the weight up too much, but for me, its easier to mod the crap out of the rest of it to clear the sway bar Smile

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Blacktop conversion.... Mylesmck 0 8 Today 05:48 PM
Last Post: Mylesmck
  Kouki to Zenki Levin grill conversion? Mylesmck 6 1,270 02-08-2024 10:30 AM
Last Post: r.ave
  Squeaky seats - any tips? decryphe 2 511 10-18-2023 10:13 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Red top in the ae86 gh0st 25 7,223 08-08-2022 08:43 PM
Last Post: gh0st