NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
10-29-2018, 03:48 AM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(10-28-2018 09:34 PM)banpei Wrote:  That sucks!
Which part of the import cost is this? Is it still avoidable if you would import it to a different country first?

This is the import cost only (10%). For classics, you don't pay VAT (19%). Though when I told my importer about this after paying the customs, he said he would gladly give a document with a much lower value for the car. That would have lowered the import fees.

I don't know if it would be possible to send the car again via RORO to NL. The costs may have been similar in the end?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2018, 10:47 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(10-29-2018 03:48 AM)Hama86 Wrote:  This is the import cost only (10%). For classics, you don't pay VAT (19%). Though when I told my importer about this after paying the customs, he said he would gladly give a document with a much lower value for the car. That would have lowered the import fees.

I don't know if it would be possible to send the car again via RORO to NL. The costs may have been similar in the end?
The cost for importing at the docks for me was basically: RORO handling fee (I wasn't allowed to pick it up myself), 6% VAT (over the purchase price + shipping + insurance), customs and harbor fee. The grand total was around 600 euros, where VAT took the majority, and I wasn't able to get the car before paying this. The 6% VAT will be raised to 9% as of the first of January. Crying

Then we have an additional tax once you make the car pass inspection: it's called BPM and is basically "luxury tax" that nowadays is also used to make polluting cars more expensive. If a car is older than 20 years you don't have to pay this tax as the government assumes your car no longer can be considered luxurious. Wink

I assumed that the process in Germany would be similar to ours, and given your explanation it actually is.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NOT SO Duty Free Trueno]
10-29-2018, 11:07 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(10-29-2018 10:47 PM)banpei Wrote:  RORO handling fee (I wasn't allowed to pick it up myself)

Honestly I don't remember if I had to pay this or not, but I had to extract R12 refrigerant for a fee (includes transport of car between the shelf (name of parking lots for imbound and outbound cars at the dock) to the shop and the extraction of the refrigerant itself).

My import fee was high because of the high purchase value of the car.
08-15-2021, 10:16 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
Moin from Hamburg. This thread is rather dusty but time to clear things up.

As a summary: as previously noted, the car had been sent to Bremerhaven from Yokohama, arrived there with the necessary import steps like the R12 refrigerant etc. and the import costs. The exporter from Japan didn't know how to prepare import documents for historic cars so my brother and I did the import procedure ourselves. This way, we could save some money. The duty free part of the import was unsuccessful as the the customs agents did not accept the car as a moving item.

The website for EU imports stated, that living a year is enough though only if there is clear indication for a permament move to Japan in the first place. Having a visa of only one year was not enough and the customs said "you moved to Japan for a year for the purpose of bringing a car for cheap" (paraphrased).

The car was in a garage for over a year with some parts hunting. It proudly sports @banpei's old steering wheel. Smile I do have some photos here and there to share if you guys are interested. The car is TÜVed and registered since this summer.

Though currently I am looking for propshaft parts. Do you guys know part numbers for spider gears? I might need to change them. Smile
08-16-2021, 08:31 AM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
Bad luck with the duty free part, but it was to be expected. Do find the assumtion that you moved to japan to import an '80's shitbox' for cheap hilarious.
Those propshaft parts are not available separately. Your best bet would be to go to some specialized shop that handles driveshafts (they exist), I'm sure they will
be able to find a fitting replacement and install it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-16-2021, 09:54 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
That's not so great news! Undecided
But at least you were able to get it to pass TÜV! Hurray!
A few weeks ago when I encountered a video on youtube by a German AE86 owner (3 door USDM GT-S and I believe I recognized Frankfurt) I was wondering how your car fared. Thanks for the update and I'd definitely like to see some photos! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NOT SO Duty Free Trueno]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 Trueno f20c Built to be driven not polished Martynas 45 51,633 05-29-2020 12:59 PM
Last Post: decryphe