Moving from U.S. to Austria - is it worth shipping AE86 GTS?
12-08-2009, 01:00 AM
I am planning on moving to Austria from California and hate to sell my 1985 AE86 GTS. I would like to bring it with me but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

The major factors are of course shipping and trying to meet the new Euro 5 emissions standard. It does pass California emissions (strictest standard in the U.S.), but I have no idea how it would fare under the European emissions tests. It does have a catalytic converter and EGR system (apparently these weren't adopted until much later in Austria.

The car has no rust and is straight despite a few dings. The paint is original and in good shape considering the age. The only modifications so far are a one-piece driveshaft, lightweight flywheel and SS brake lines. It also has a JDM redtop engine that was replaced around 115k miles - it currently has about 195k on it.

I could sell it with the original driveshaft, keep the one-piece and try to buy an AE86 in Europe, but I don't want a rust bucket. It seems to make more sense to just sell mine here and buy one there, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to find one in good shape.

Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
we have some peepz from austria here. send them a pm and see if they can give you some detailed info about importing a car.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
12-08-2009, 04:13 AM
Drothe,

Not 100% sure but seeing European laws you should be able to import a Hachi based on standards applied at the year it was build so I doubt emissions will be an issue. Whether Austria has additional demands and how the rules are regarding modified cars I'm not sure but as Robokill mentioned, there are several members here that live there and can probably tell you. It doesn't sound like yours has any serious enough changes.

Whether the whole exercise makes financial sense is another thing all together.

This really depends on import taxes in Austria, shipping is a lot but unless you sell your car for good money, buying one in Europa may turn out to be the more expensive option. Make sure you sort out any rules related to you moving into Austria and taking your car with you as part of your household, again I don't know the rules in Austria but many countries have lower tax rates when importing goods as part of migrating.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
12-08-2009, 07:46 AM
I guess that was what I was really getting at - that is how expensive are hachi's in Europe. I might be able to get around $3000 for mine over here. I have no idea how much a decent hachi with minimual rust goes for in Europe. Mine is in good shape body-wise, but since it is an Arizona/California car, the dash has a large crack from the heat. The front seats are also not in good shape, but this is a common problem.
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Clean cars will easily cost you twice the amount your car will fetch. Cheaper options do pop up from time to time but travel is usually required.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
hello,

i think u dont have big problems with our law, as long as the car is in good condition, it could be possible that u have to change your front and taillights and do some other small conversions! if u were able to drive with US licens plates, no one cares about your car! (this would be the best option)
if u want to buy a austrian hachi, u have to search very long (even longer without rust) and u could get problems if u plan to import a cat-less hachi from other european countries!

what plans u have in austria? in which town u will live?

greets from vienna, martin
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes, I say the same, $3000 will not cover a rustless hachi here in Europe. sometimes you can see great condition cars from 5000 EUR and above.. But as I know the european rules, you will not be able to register the car in Austria. Hachi has about EURO 1 or 2 emission degree, but surely not 5. I've heard sometimes ago that you can get every car registered in the UK, and then you can register it to any other european countries, but I doubt this worth the money and time.
12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
ZDoman Wrote:But as I know the european rules, you will not be able to register the car in Austria. Hachi has about EURO 1 or 2 emission degree, but surely not 5.

as mux said before, it must be possible to bring the car as a part of your household, 2003 i bought an US 1gen. eclipse turbo, 2002 the car came as part from a moving household to austria. the pre-owner had to change the us-taillight to european ones, also the front-lights. the pre-owner had to keep the car for a year, after that he can sell it without paying back the importtaxes!

i will take some infos about import this week...
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
wow, I didn't know it. sorry. then its a good idea if it works Hurray!
12-08-2009, 08:24 PM
MatthewG Wrote:hello,

i think u dont have big problems with our law, as long as the car is in good condition, it could be possible that u have to change your front and taillights and do some other small conversions! if u were able to drive with US licens plates, no one cares about your car! (this would be the best option)
if u want to buy a austrian hachi, u have to search very long (even longer without rust) and u could get problems if u plan to import a cat-less hachi from other european countries!

what plans u have in austria? in which town u will live?

greets from vienna, martin

Thanks for the response - we would be in Vienna. Are emissions tests only required in large cities or is this for the whole country? I ask because that is the case here in the U.S. - more rural areas don't require emissions tests.

Like I said, my AE86 does meet California smog standards, but it is difficult to determine if I have a chance to meet the European standard (especially Euro 5). California is measured in PPM (parts per million) for hydrocarbons (HC) Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and Carbon Dioxide (CO2).

As far as I can tell the Euro emissions are measured in mg/km for only NOx and HC (CO2 is not measured). It is difficult to convert from a volume based measurement (ppm) to mass/distance traveled and besides European gas is formulated differently anyway.

I could always put on a really good new catalytic converter and and hope for the best, but I'd hate to roll the dice on this. Also, I'm curious if european cars typically come with EGR systems (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)? This reduces NOx and I think this is an extra emissions system that was originally only required by California (blue in picture below).

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Moving from U.S. to Austria... AE86 GTS?]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it worth it? AnthonyStallone 10 11,987 02-01-2015 01:05 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  do you think this is worth it? TANDERSON 3 4,854 10-05-2011 08:51 PM
Last Post: TANDERSON
  How much you recon this rare set SSR CASABLANCA rims worth? FT86 10 13,904 04-29-2011 02:05 PM
Last Post: FT86
  DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HATCHBACK SR5 AND HATCHBACK GTS???? JVAE86 5 6,304 08-21-2010 09:34 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Cheap shipping - UK to EU eight-six 8 11,572 10-21-2008 04:37 PM
Last Post: banpei