Mocal oil cooler & sandwitch plate ordered
05-07-2008, 09:23 PM
owkee.. just had an chat with a guy on work... who has got lots of experience..

but a filter relocator wil do for me.. Big Grin

and attatch a oil cooler in between. ..

But there are different kinds of greddy relocation kits available..

what is the different.. cause my oil adapter ring was suitable for toyota and nissan (same thread of oil filter)

Dsc. Size: 3/4x16UNF that is the correct thread? ?

sow a nissan relocator kit is also good ??

or what is the difference ?

cheers Roel
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I believe opel engines also have the same thread.. dont know what thread it should be exactly, but someone else will know I hope.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
If you run the oil through a cooler that is in series with the filter it will take forever to get oil temps up during cold nights and do more harm then good. Thermostatic valve to open and close the oil cooler seems like the best idea. When the oil gets too hot, the oilcooler valve opens and reroutes oil through the cooling element. You are right to assume that its not being filtered when this happens (no way to prevent that really, its a characteristic of almost all systems). As soon as oil temps drop, the valve closes and the oil runs normally through the filter again.

The water cooled system from the MR2 (the tube is a heat exchanger) is pretty nifty too. Water heats up quicker then oil so it helps get things up to temp. Max temp of water is 100degrees so it does help a bit with the cooling when things get hot. Probably not that much though. Would be a nice addition to any car if the pipe can be plumbed in easily into the AE86.
Don't see it fitting in easily though.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-08-2008, 07:08 PM
The oilchange is on the cold waterpipe, so it will always be less then 100 degrees, otherwise you would really have an coolingproblem. Tongue

My Reno 5GTTurbo had the same system in the radiator, worked perfect untill i started to make some real power.
Then i bought an Mocal cooler with an thermostat in the sandwitchplate, it was always filtering
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
NoHachi Wrote:If you run the oil through a cooler that is in series with the filter it will take forever to get oil temps up during cold nights and do more harm then good. Thermostatic valve to open and close the oil cooler seems like the best idea. When the oil gets too hot, the oilcooler valve opens and reroutes oil through the cooling element. You are right to assume that its not being filtered when this happens (no way to prevent that really, its a characteristic of almost all systems). As soon as oil temps drop, the valve closes and the oil runs normally through the filter again.

The water cooled system from the MR2 (the tube is a heat exchanger) is pretty nifty too. Water heats up quicker then oil so it helps get things up to temp. Max temp of water is 100degrees so it does help a bit with the cooling when things get hot. Probably not that much though. Would be a nice addition to any car if the pipe can be plumbed in easily into the AE86.
Don't see it fitting in easily though.

If the watter temp helps to stay on temparature, the cool water will help the oil getting hot, the oil Will still (also during cold days be hotter then 60 dgs even if it is running trought the oil cooler. and for driving.. that will be enough to provide extra damage to the engine (bearings and so..)

( I spoke to a guy who is doing sevice at a dutch rally team.. and they start driving at 60 DGS )
During Winter I can Close the opening for the oil cooler with an plate or so.. or better Isolate the oil cooler.
and even a bit of the opening of the radiator for the watter temp if needed..

But I dont think I will drive that mutch in winter season... and the dutch winters are not that cold.

I would like the oil to always be filtered.. cause I think that in case of a termostat in the sandwitch plate, It is open for most of the time..
and "dirty oil" gets in the cooler and will stay there.. or will go back in to the engine..

E-volve Wrote:The oilchange is on the cold waterpipe, so it will always be less then 100 degrees, otherwise you would really have an coolingproblem. Tongue

My Reno 5GTTurbo had the same system in the radiator, worked perfect untill i started to make some real power.
Then i bought an Mocal cooler with an thermostat in the sandwitchplate, it was always filtering

I know that oil and water channels run next to each other, I refresched the engine coolant system last saturday, But no progress in the temerature, I know that old bad coolant will not take that mutch heat then new coolant..

The engine (I guess) will make power when driving at 120 kmh.. 4000rpm
Indeed, during driving 50-80 kmh, the oil is not getting too hot.. but still 100 dgs during this the RPM is almost always below the 4000..

I will look for the mocal oil cooler!! quik search shows that this is indeed used for Opels..

Cheers Roel
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
from my untherstanding.. the mocal sandwitch plate, allows the oil to always run trough the oil filter, couse the adapters for the cooler hoses is on the "return side of the block.??

so in that case oil is always filtered before entering the oil cooler?
(see First and seccond Picture)

http://prod.campuscruiser.com/wen/mocal/1.jpg
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/produ...wich_Plate

Iff the center of the sandwitch plate is the "In" for the oil filter and the outside the surrounding border..

cheers Roel
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
also found this kit on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...%26ps%3D42

I dont think that it has a termostat..

and also this one of mocal with the right thread ... but do not know if the total dimentions are the same like the with of the oil filter..

http://cgi.ebay.nl/OIL-COOLER-PLATE-E21-...dZViewItem

in combination with these..

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/OIL-COOLER-REMOT...dZViewItem
05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
the auction does say that you can get an thermostat for another 20 19.99 pounds.

1st and 2nd link seems to go to the same auction btw...
05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
my mistake.. the second link is to just the sandwitch plate with termostat 3/4 UNF
and 5/8" ID hose hose ( 16mm innerhose)

so a complete kit with 16 row cooler and termostat will kost me inc shipping £ 135,- ex paypall fee..

and £ 62,- for just the sandwitchplate and hose adapters..

but I dont know of the quallity of the cooler.. and have still the ori cooler..

what do you think.. Or what cooler would be nice If I buy here just the sandwitchplate... what cooler is needed/ prefferd?
05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Thermostatic valve does seem like a great idea, but the more moving partrs the less reliable .

Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car
1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

http://www.TheTunerSource.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil cooler totta Crolla 0 1,316 07-25-2021 03:25 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Oil cooler kit izanagi 7 7,942 09-20-2016 11:13 AM
Last Post: harkes
  Permanent oil cooler vs thermostat Lt86 19 19,017 03-28-2015 06:54 PM
Last Post: Lt86
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,802 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Spindle dimensions, backing plate bolt pattern Rascal21 18 19,538 03-13-2014 11:45 AM
Last Post: Rascal21