Matching locks...
12-02-2023, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2023 08:47 PM by Mylesmck.)
Matching locks...
I remember (many) years ago, getting the door locks on a ta22 celica matched to the ignition key. The car was an abandoned project that I took on and for some reason the door locks didn't match. Anyway, I'm having a similar issue with my ae86. I have a key that fits the ignition but not the doors. Can the door lock be adjusted to match the key? I don't have a key for the doors as I bought them separately and the doors that came with the shell had no locks....

I tried adjusting a spare lock and although it worked, I managed to completely butcher the keyhole cover. I've tried a local locksmiths but they were less than helpful

...... Failing that, is there a recent model with locks that can be retrofitted?
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2023, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2023 02:53 PM by banpei.)
Matching locks...
It would require a locksmith to disassemble the barrel, swap the pins and reassemble the barrel again. If you already have the ignition lock, he/she has to do this three times to make a set of four equal locks. This probably costs you quite a lot of money in labor.
I think it would be far cheaper to source a set of matching keys and locks from Japan. You can find a set for somewhere between 150 and 200 dollars. Including handling and shipping you probably pay about 300 dollars.
Here are two auctions I found:
Complete set with two keys
Complete set with one key

If you need to search additional AE86 key cylinders, this is the phrase that I used: ae86キーシリンダー
Probably a set for any Toyota from the same era will fit.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Matching locks...]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2024, 11:51 AM
Matching locks...
Maybe see if you can buy a secondhand rekey on eBay or similar - bought mine for $60 USD. Need an X137 kit though I have not confirmed this myself yet.

Based on this this video it should be relatively easy to change out the tumblers.
01-30-2024, 08:15 PM
Matching locks...
I've left them with another locksmiths who said it shouldn't be a problem.... although they've had them over a month now. I know it can be done, it's just removing the outer cover without butchering it
02-21-2024, 02:40 AM
Matching locks...
Well, got my locks back today, all sorted for €50. The reason it took so long? They said they kept putting it off because it was time consuming
02-22-2024, 12:22 PM
Matching locks...
That's much cheaper than I expected it to be! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Matching locks...]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user