Is it worth restoring an unused AE86
03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi,
my uncle bought an AE86 a couple years ago, new, and he put like 3000km on it before garaging it for over 10 years. The car hasn't moved since.

I was thinking of buying it off him and fixing it up but I am worried that it might not be worth the trouble. Considering I might be able to get it moving without too much effort I'm still worried that it might start falling apart due to age and lack of use.

I haven't gotten it checked yet to see what needs replacing so I'm just considering worst/best case scenarios for now.

I'm not a petrol head by any means, I'm just looking for a good solid first car that will not give me too many headaches and obviously not waste all my money.

I'm not sure from what year the car is but it looks exactly like this:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is it worth restoring an unused AE86]

So do you think under these circumstances the car could be restored into a decent reliable vehicle? I know I didn't give much details but it's all I know at the moment. So worst/best case scenarios...

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
03-13-2010, 05:23 PM
If you're not really into ae86's then i wouldn't do it . If you like em and you really want it then don't hesitate and buy it.

And don't worry , it won't fall apart . Since it was stored in a garage , rust will probably not be a big problem . And people fixed up way worse cars than the one from your uncle .

Don't try to start it tho because after 10 years of storage alot of things need to be checked first.
03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
3000km?! Huh

JapanPower

UoP Racing website
UoP Racing videos

Racing, because football, basketball, tennis & golf only require ONE ball....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
put in new fuel, fuelfilter and check fuel lines for leaks.
can of oil and an oilfilter, fire it up and see what she does.

before driving it check the brakes and brakelines.
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
jesus christ! its like finding a secret treasure! Huh
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Well the reason I posted here was to find out whether you guys know of any common issues found with this car when it's been garaged for a long time. I know nothing about the parts and how resistant they are to rust and what not.

I don't want to put too much money into fixing it up and I need to be sure that I'll go through with it before I start as I'm quite sure I need to give it a hell of a service to get it rolling again.

And yeh it's barely used. Real shame I know.

Also...

Am I "into" ae86s?
Like I said I'm not really a petrol head so I'm not "into" cars per se, but the way I see it, is it's either this or a crappy fiat/peugeot off some stranger/dealer I don't know who might be ripping me off.

The way I see it, with this car, I know it's past. Very boring past.
03-13-2010, 11:46 PM
go take some pics of it and post them here - I'm sure though you'll get it up and going in no time as those cars take quite a hell of a beating and still run so engine will most likely be still in good condition just needing a some fluidchanges may a belt or two too.
IMHO get it and have fun

AE86 ex-daily
03-14-2010, 12:34 AM
I've dreamt of that exact thing happening! Makes me believe that the story is made up or the jealousy could be clouding my judgement!
03-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Man, is a find. Huh

Say if you not interested where the car is, there are probably people here who buy it without even seeing it Cool
03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Hello mate,

let us know where you are located.
Or even better, your uncles garage Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously now mate, start the car up and you ll find to sell it very easily to someone that cares. And trust me, he ll be willing to pay lotsa cash for it.

Then you ll be able to get yourself a desent first car.

One the other hand, you could try waking her up, start driving her, love her, learn to drive her fast and be sure she ll make you a petrolhead. :wink:

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is it worth restoring an unused AE86] http://www.jdmbits.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restoring original pizzacutter center caps banpei 17 7,138 06-24-2021 10:58 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Effects of valve lift - worth it going higher? harkes 18 15,404 03-17-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Is used TRD exhaust header worth ~200e ? Uzelac 10 18,025 04-22-2011 10:40 PM
Last Post: Uzelac
  Rotary AE86. Worth it? someassemblyrequired 5 9,095 05-13-2010 12:51 PM
Last Post: someassemblyrequired
  mild cams... is it worth it? megabob 12 10,898 02-27-2010 08:12 PM
Last Post: NonStopTuning