Colour Coded Bumpers or OEM Black?
10-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I have seen quite a few cars with the front & rear bumpers colour coded and then theres the OEM cars still with the black ones, what do you think looks best. I think I'm swaying towards keeping them black.....(colour coded on the tops like oem)

Black bumpers

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Colour Coded Bumpers or OEM Black?]

Colour coded (white)

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Personal preference is oem black, but it's up to you.

I had colour coded bumpers, but sprayed them matt black, looks much more badass Tongue Only on stock bumpers tho, aftermarket bumpers should be colour coded.

Just what i think, but what i said it's up to you.

No Smorking AE86
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Oem is not always a nice black.. some bumpers are dark-grey ( the ones on my zenki levin where). I think lots of the bumpers you see with the colour coded top have the bottom half painted black, as opposed to the oem style where only the top is painted. Gives better contrast i think.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, mine are aftermarket ones and I'm thinking like the Trueno above, white for the top and shiny black (painted) for the bottom parts. Big Grin

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
10-08-2008, 02:37 AM
OEM plastic FTW... painted ones are a pain in the ass for scrathes and flys Tongue

10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
JonnyAE86 Wrote:OEM plastic FTW... painted ones are a pain in the ass for scrathes and flys Tongue

my rearbumper is a painted one and paint is chipping off everywhere Blush .

ハチロク

10-09-2008, 08:30 AM
The problem with paint chipping off of the bumper is that most people do not use any additives when painting the bumpers.
Most paints are not particularly suited for adhesion to plastic, and they harden too much. You can add an additive to add some elasticity to the paint for the bumpers, which should help lessen the chipping a bit.
I've also seen bumpers painted with a thick layer of primer to smooth the surface out, this causes the paint to come off in chunks when damaged.

Havent seen any cars painted with the correct additives myself afaik, but I dont see OEM painted bumpers experience the problems that most people are talking about here. Stone chips from cars ahead of you are more or less a fact of life, but that's a risk you run with the bonnet too.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colour Codes Pics Please Eircamae86 2 6,337 12-24-2008 01:00 PM
Last Post: Eircamae86
  Original Toyota Colour? AshCampbell 7 10,527 08-02-2007 08:57 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy