Fuel Pressure regulator
03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
Hello ,
Anyone experienced in fuel pressure regulator , like here on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...ename=WDVW
Does it take place instead of stock fuel regulator?
I'd like to change my injectors and I know it has often been discussed!!!
As I never opend my engine , I don't even know if it's small or big port !
I just know that TVis is written on manifold !
I also project to change cams , but I 'd like to keep the injection system , as it's so reliable .
Any advice and experiences welcome
Filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
You probably have a bigport engine if it has a TVIS manifold. Mind you it could still be a smallport in disguise, but for fueling and camshafts it makes little difference I think. Only the injectors on smallports are bigger, but you can check that out easily. Bigport 4age has beige injectors, smallport uses green ones.

[edit] if it is a highcompression smallport then fueling is offcourse something that needs to be done correctly...[/edit]

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
2 filh:
I will recommend more cheap (second hand - 15-30EU in Bulgaria) and almost bolt-on option:
search in salvage yard for some FORD EFI engines. They are 3.0 bar, ADJUSTABLE (just remove the led cap on top of the adjusting bolt), in-rail (as 4AGE ones) and will bolt-on using seal O-ring from original 4AGE regulator and longer mount bolts (personal experience).
http://www.avcweber.gr/ENGLISH/malpasi/weber11.htm

Look at the RP12. This is the "FORD" one. You can adjust it from 2.5 up to 4.5 bar fuel pressure (don't recommend to use more than 4 bar even for turbo applications - remember the stock for 4AGE is around 2.5-2.7 bar).
03-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Fuel Pressure regulator
THanks for your answers . How do you know the pressure , using the weber/ford regulator, as there's no gauge on it?
I just don't know the pressure needed if using bigger injectors .
I 'm bidding on green 4age injectors , hoping they'll fit my 4ag rail , but not sure at all!
Filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
03-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Fuel Pressure regulator
You can drill the rail and attach pressure gauge (must be oil/fuel resistant, or use some kind of separator and remote gauge). The RP12 is set default at 3.0bar stock. I have bejge 235cc injectors from non-tvis 4AGE and 7MGTE injectors - all they fit to the AE86 bluetop 4AGE rail.
03-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Fuel Pressure regulator
and did you noticed improvment by using bigger injectors and higher fuel pressure?
filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
03-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
No.
Reason: I prepare this setup with 440cc injectors for turbo conversion. No way to use it on NA AE86!!!
PS:If you search for improvement - try to improve breathing and just use adjustable fuel pressure regulator to achieve ~13:1 air/fuel ratio. Personally I think that there is no need of 235cc injectors, just raise a little fuel pressure (maybe 3.0 will be ok-stock RP12 setting).
03-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
I'm dealing with this right now, fuel on a 4agZe.
Jammie plz read carefully:

I have a 4agze installed running with oem 4age fuel pump and of course running lean after 4.000 rpm Smile

So i install an impreza sti fuel pump and a Malpasi fuel pressure reg (yes, from my friend Antonis in http://www.avcweber.gr.

Set fuel pressure @ 3,0 bar at idle, raising to 3,5 ber when on full boost.
Of course now I have enough fuel at all rpm range Smile

Then, I call the previous owner telling him the situation and he tells me that:

4agZe has an oem fuel pressure regulator that uses the signal from the electric valve that trigers the compressor.
So now with two regulators, the mechanical Malpassi spoils the "work" of the electrical oem and don't let him raise pressure at 4,5 bar at full boost.
Target is about 3 bar at idle, and 4,5 bar at full throttle, that will raise compressor boost from 0,86 now, to 0,95 bar...

So I kept the oem, removed the Malpassi and placed a a little "sluice valve" instead that closes and shortens the diameter of the pipe so that the pressure increases.

PROBLEM 1ST:
when using just the oem reg with the valve open
pressure at idle is 2,2 bar!!!!!!!
Isn't that too low???????

Problem 2nd:
I adjust pressure at idle at 3,0 bar and when i press the gas pedal, instead of increasing at 4+ bar, it stands still..........

Waiting for your commends, boys

P.S. Fihl:
I really find no reason on increasing your fuel pressure on an oem 4age.
Why use a fuel pressure reg and give more fuel when not having more air???
If you change cams etc then go for it, but after the mods not now.
You will probably need some piggy back electronic unit (such us super afc2 or e-manage) so why spent money on fuel press regulators.
Even so, I wouldn't recomend using a Weber or a Malpassi reg, as they are not presice enough.
Best move is to change the oem with on bigger from another toyota or something Smile

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Fuel Pressure regulator] http://www.jdmbits.com
03-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
10X nmwisima!
This is very interesting GZE information, but here we use 4AGE tech. Yes, these Weber regulators are linear. The filh can use the stock pump because he cannot produce over 140hp NA only with regulator/breathing mods (without race camshaft). There is no problem to run 2.2 bar on idle also - no way to produce any "lean" problems.

"Set fuel pressure @ 3,0 bar at idle, raising to 3,5 ber when on full boost."
"Target is about 3 bar at idle, and 4,5 bar at full throttle, that will raise compressor boost from 0,86 now, to 0,95 bar... "

There is only 0.5 bar fuel pressure increase for 0.86 bar boost increase - this Malpassi regulator even is not linear !!! Very strange !
I will expect "target 3 bar (at idle with VAC~2.5-2.7 bar) and 3.8 bar at 0.86 boost".

PS: If you plan to go turbo with just a fuel pressure regulator mod - you MUST use rising rate regulator, but I prefer to go aftermarket ECU and linear regulator instead...
Info:7MGTE in-tank fuel pump is 100% compatible to 4AGE one - and I already bought one to replace mine. Keep in mind that 7MGTE is 230hp stock.
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Fuel Pressure regulator
Ok guys , I think you're both right and very experienced . I drive my car in rallies for three years now . My problem is as follow: I had a short rear gear ratio (5,3:1) which is very expensive but no reliable .It brokes after
about 3000km of race . With a stock engine , it's not very fair , but is very expensive ( cost in 2003 :1700€). So I bought a longer and cheaper one from Stageone ; 4,7:1. It's now hard to raise full revs in 5th gear.
And I find it hard at 6000 rpm to raise 7000 rpm. I suspect a fuel lack ( I'm running a KN like air intake)
I'm planning to change cams and injectors, but would like to keep the injection system as it's so reliable. I 'm realist and don't expect adding lots of CV .
In the past , I modified 2tg engines running carbs, but here I'm a bit lost with injection system. You often speak about Supra , but it's so rare here now.
Thanks again and all advices welcome .
Filh

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Filh
Save the RWD cars

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,384 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  4AGE Fuel Regulator Alex170984 6 9,181 02-24-2016 05:59 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Oil Pressure Query Alex170984 2 4,658 12-11-2014 01:25 AM
Last Post: Alex170984
  Pressure gathering in fuel tank Apolan 9 13,743 05-18-2014 06:18 AM
Last Post: chenfon
  oil pressure high kawo 17 18,774 09-29-2013 12:06 PM
Last Post: allencr