Fiberglass parts - boot / doors
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Considering buying a few fiberglass parts and was interested in peoples views. Ideally want to strip some weight out to aid handling and also its less stuff to rust.

I have seen fiberglass bootlids at 86factory and was just wondering if they were any good and what were peoples views on them? The current metal boot lid is a bit flakey in place and I cant see the point in replacing it with anothe metal unit.

Also does anyone have any views on the fiberglass doors that 86factory sell? Any ideas on fit and finish? Quite interested in these. My only concerns is protection from sideimpact but then again I doubt the stock
doors would be much cop either.

Views would be appreciated.

Cheers

James

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Fiberglass parts - boot / doors]

http://www.eight-six.co.uk - read the blog!

UK AE86 Forum - http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...ghtsixcouk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, the fiberglas hatch has its benefits. Its lighter than stock and it doesnt rust.

BUT!
You can not use the lock. The fiber hatches i have seen, isnt strong enough to support the locking mecanism - you have to use those rubber straps (or something similar).
It isnt strong enough to hold the dampers, that means the hatch wont stay open by itself.
You can not (as far as i know) use the original rear window (no defogger).

If the car is for street-use, i would start looking after a stock hatch.

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2006, 09:16 AM
On the other hand, an FRP hatch with lexan window will make the rear a lot lighter...which is a good thing for drifting. If your into daily driving I wouldnt get any FRP stuff. I bought a load lof it and just dont like the feel of it (I like sturdyness)..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user