Engine wont rev. Fuel pump?
02-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Hello.
Today I was driving my hachi to shop, and there were very little fuel in my car, it began to shake, etc... (because of lack of fuel)
So i hardly got to fuel station, filled some fuel, started my car and noticed, that it won't rev. If I 'pump' (push very often) gas pedal, it revs to about 3-4k rpm, but if I release accelerator - engine's rpm's drops to about 500-600, and finally stops. Same situation when i push accelerator stronger, and hold it. Sad Tried to tow the car, but it won't help (engine starts, but still won't rev) Sad Engine is breathing VERY hardly. To keep the rpm's i have to pump my gas pedal... Dumb question
What can be wrong/damaged? How to check is the fuel pump working? Maybe someone had similar problems? Confused

p.s. these problems started today. Never had same problems. I know, that when you run out of fuel, pump gets some air, but if you make engine running for few minutes everything becomes fine.

White ae86 Levin
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Are all your cilinders firing?
I had similar issues due to burnt ignition wire end that was skipping contact on and off. Check that, also take a peek at the spark plugs - if it did happen as you were running out of fuel and never went away - check if maybe a plug got ashed dead as it was running lean. My engine is still not revving up, my issue though is different, but i can say - i feel your pain man. Good luck!
02-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Nookie Wrote:Hello.
What can be wrong/damaged? How to check is the fuel pump working? Maybe someone had similar problems? Confused

1) try to clean your sparks (happens to me)
2) To check is the fuel pump working, you just unplag fuel hose and try to turn the key. if the fuel is running, the pump should be fine.

Fun is not the straight line!
02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Could also be that because you drove on an almost empty gastank, the residue that build up on the bottom of the tank in years was sucked in and now your fuel filter is clogged... Though its not very likely (happened on my DeLorean twice but it uses a different pickup system then the hachiBig Grin).

Also good chance your fuel pump is not working great anymore all though I would expect your car to idle just fine then..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Did you check the intake? Maybe it doesn't have enough air to breathe...
02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
max_ae86 Wrote:1) try to clean your sparks (happens to me)
2) To check is the fuel pump working, you just unplag fuel hose and try to turn the key. if the fuel is running, the pump should be fine.

Ok, I'll try to check these points.

domi Wrote:Are all your cilinders firing?

Yes, all cylinders are working. Just engine won't rev.

Thanx for suggestions.

White ae86 Levin
02-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I had the same problem. It was a fuel pump.
100€ solved the problem.

Vladimir
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Engine wont rev. Fuel pump?]

N/A for life...
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
max_ae86 Wrote:2) To check is the fuel pump working, you just unplag fuel hose and try to turn the key. if the fuel is running, the pump should be fine.
Unpluged that hose, the fuel runs (this means, that pump is alive? still thinking, that it can be 'easily' damaged, or smt...). Confused
So, if the fuel pump is OK what can be broken more? As I said, all four clyinders are working, and these problems started after that "empty fuel tank" driving... Dumb question Undecided
More ideas?

vladx_kc Wrote:I had the same problem. It was a fuel pump.
100€ solved the problem.
Had you unpluged that fuel hose? Did the fuel ran?
Did it broke because the car was driven with empty fuel tank?
(sorry for a lot of questions, but i'm very nervous about my car Dumb question )

White ae86 Levin
02-15-2007, 09:51 PM
is it mis firing
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Nookie,

If the fuelpump no longer runs at full strength that could be your problem as well. It is possible to damage a fuelpump if you totally run out of fuel, but not likely.
Maybe drive to another AE owner and see if you can swap your fuel pump to test?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v BT - which oil pump? Mylesmck 4 2,049 06-21-2022 04:51 PM
Last Post: pack
  Fuel pump issue DJexor 11 3,827 04-29-2022 05:45 AM
Last Post: Bean
  fuel line hose from the pump Wikizz 4 5,456 10-16-2017 07:11 PM
Last Post: jdm86gtz