Engine question.
03-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Engine question.
I'm new to the boards so excuse me if this question was asked before. I just picked up a 1985 Corolla GT-S blue top which unfortunately has a cracked cylinder head. I was hoping it was a head gasket! I'm having a hard time locating another engine in Canada and wanted to know which other years and models would work in my '85? I've been told that the front wheel drive from later years will work by possibly changing manifolds and oil pan but the only one I can find is from a 1990 with 258,000kms on it so my search continues. I'm willing to make changes to make others work if an '85 proves to be as hard to locate as it seems to be. Any info would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Engine question.
I once ordered an engine from Canada through ebay (jdm_planet), there seem to be quite some engine stockers there... you might want to try one of them... as I'm sure they get some fubbared engines in once in a while.
the AE92 (smallporthead would fit but you would need to do some work to get your manifold to fit as your bluetop is bigport)

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Engine question.
You can use the head from any "bigport" 4AGE engine, FWD or RWD.
These engines have the TVIS system on the intake side, and can be
identified by having the intake ports arranged in pairs (bigger space
between the centre two ports). Later model "smallport" heads have the
intakes equally spaced.

Much easier to use the bigport head... keep looking Smile

Cheers... jondee86
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Engine question.
just google and you wil find.... Thumbs up!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...Z184095516

daily driver avensis 2.0 d4d and Yaris 1.0
weekend driver 1985 AE86
03-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Engine question.
Thanks, I may have a line on one but I'll check out your suggestions.
03-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Engine question.
Unfortunately the engine I had a line on was not as advertised. Let me give you the back story. I just bought this car about a month ago. It had a miss and I found that the number four cylinder was down on compression. I did a cylinder leak down test and the pressure was coming through the radiator. I removed the cylinder head and found that the head gasket was blown. I visually checked everything out and of course replaced the gasket as well as some other stuff that needed attention(water pump, t-belt, cap/wires/plugs that sort of stuff). I'm a mechanic and should know better but I didn't bother sending the head out to have it checked. I drove the car last weekend without any problems until I did a highway run. At steady throttle, without pushing it, it wanted to overheat. Once you let off the throttle the heat gauge would return to normal. Driving around town the gauge would stay normal. I drove it to work this week to see what would happen and sure enough the coolant level was slowly dropping down and on Thursday it started missing. I pulled the spark plugs and the number four cylinder is wet inside. I'm not even sure if the head is cracked or warped so this weekend it's coming apart again and this time I'll send it out to see what the verdict is. The car works amazing and only has 200,000kms on it so if the head needs to be planed I'll have it done and replace the head gasket AGAIN! A hard lesson learned I guess! I'll let you know how it goes.

A quick question for you. I noticed the block had some small etching in it where the head gasket was leaking around the number four cylinder when I had the head off. I assumed it was from the coolant passing over it when the head gasket was bad. Any recommendation for this or any experience with this causing problems? I've seen this kind of thing on other engines I've worked on with no troubles but this is the first time I've had a 4AGE apart.
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Engine question.
Is it possible that the head has already been skimmed ?
I have a head that had 0.5mm taken off of it and the edge of the chamber is now very close to edge of the gasket.
Every 4age I have seen with compression problems on no.4 cylinder has been caused by broken ring lands. I'm not saying I think this is your problem of course but it may be worth considering.
Welcome here by the way !
TC

An analogue brain in a digital World
03-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Engine question.
Broken lands would explain the low compression but as I said I done a cylinder leak down test and the pressure was coming out of the radiator and once I had the head apart the head gasket was blown badly. Plus it wouldn't explain the overheating issue and the loss of coolant I'm experiencing now. I just finished removing the head and if the machine shop is open on Saturday's I'll drop it off tomorrow and see what the deal is.
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Engine question.
Broken ring lands mostly appear on AFM bluetops. I have a few MAP bluetops, and they have perfect pistons.

Old bluetop 4age engines usually blow the head gasket on No.4 cylinder, the coolant gets in somehow...you should skim the block and the head, then put in a new head gasket, it should be good Smile

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Engine question.
It looks like I'll have it checked out on Monday. The local machine shops aren't open on Saturdays.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about 4AG 20v Engine Block CHACAMAN 1 1,315 06-10-2022 05:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,810 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,702 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  4A-GE engine mix - question Maren 74 70,389 03-08-2012 01:01 PM
Last Post: Uzelac
  My First Hachi, engine question bkk_marc 16 14,395 04-15-2009 06:47 AM
Last Post: 777AE86