EDIT* AE86 Swaps
12-17-2006, 01:19 AM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Okay, well im iffy on that because I want to keep it toyota.
But so far it is really temptinghahaha
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2006, 02:14 AM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Okay well, to tell you the truth the engines I know most are
13Bt, 20Bt, 4G63, and 4A-GE....

4a is already in the car lol so no swap needed Thumbs up!

How easy is 13b rotary? The engine, tranny, ECU, Whole package is 1000$ canadian......so how easy is the swap?

20b's are very pricey over here (never made here)

4G63 is from a DSM, i know the motor inside and out....they are cheap but they are latitudinally mounted (side-to-side) *RWD Might be an issue*

Fastest to slowest:
20Bt .....................................approx $2200 for engine and trans

13Bt & 4g63 are similiar
13bt......................................approx $900-1100 Engine and Trans
4g63.....................................approx $500 for engine, tranny is useless.

4age (GZE/20V/GTE)
GZE......................................approx $1300 for Engine and trans
20V.......................................approx $1500 for S/T engine and trans
GTE.......................................Varies, but I have half of the kit laying around.

What do you guys think..........out of all of these Id probably want rotary - I know its been done but how easy?
12-17-2006, 05:35 AM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Start with modifying the suspension ect. Then you´ll be surprised how fast an stock 4AGE goes.

You got alot of planes cut out, try to minimize them a bit. Why go for a majour rebuilt with a 3SGE when you can get a kick-ass 4AGz(T)E??

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
12-17-2006, 09:44 PM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Suspension mods will help make me fast in the bends, but not so much in a straight line, they will help you hook up but not necessarilly go fast.

A built 3stge would put down more than the 4a...

Im not really trying to eliminate the 4a here...Its just cool to have something different, and thats what its all about for me.

If these mentioned swaps are too involved I will continue the 4agte.
But Id love to hear/see an AE86 roar with a 13bt Yummie!
12-17-2006, 11:04 PM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Hoey Wrote:Suspension mods will help make me fast in the bends, but not so much in a straight line, they will help you hook up but not necessarilly go fast.

A built 3stge would put down more than the 4a...

Im not really trying to eliminate the 4a here...Its just cool to have something different, and thats what its all about for me.

If these mentioned swaps are too involved I will continue the 4agte.
But Id love to hear/see an AE86 roar with a 13bt Yummie!

Yeah i think a 13bt would be very cool, but isn't the problem with these engines that the crankshaft is in the middle of the engine instead of the lowest part of the engine?

The gearbox would end up very high in the car, don't know for sure, just thinking about it

Real men race downhill
12-17-2006, 11:30 PM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
That does make sense....and also the engine would probably sit very far back in the engine bay.

BUT they are very small, so you could just mount the engine very low in the bay to make up for the high crank.
12-18-2006, 12:46 AM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Yeah..but the crossmember sits exactly in the position you are thinking off. Can be done, but not easy.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
A rotary doesnt have a crankshaft....it has an eccentric shaft. Your theory would make an RX7 or an RX8 a bad handling car... while it is quite the opposite.

A rotary engine is about the diameter of a T50 bellhousing (engine end)... so the centre of gravity of the actual engine is very low.

Bear in mind, that a normal inline 4 cyl. engine, has the crank in the bottom part of the engine, and then the pistons, rods, etc, are above it. and then theres the head. The rotary doesnt have any of that. The rotors rotate around the eccentric shaft.

Mounting the rotory in a Toyota will not make the gearbox any higher than it already is. Might only be slight, due to it being bigger than a T50.

An AE86 with a rotary handles very well, and goes like a shower of sh!t. ;-)

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - EDIT* AE86 Swaps]
Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2006, 07:57 PM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
Yeah and needs a rebuild every two months..lets not forget that one.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-19-2006, 02:41 AM
EDIT* AE86 Swaps
WRONG

if you take care of them and do the right mods in the right order reliability isnt a problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspension swaps from other cars ? Okami 5 5,125 01-15-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Let's Discuss Engine Swaps for the Budget User! generalachoo 20 13,881 03-12-2008 12:57 AM
Last Post: generalachoo