Diff noise?
12-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Diff noise?
I noticed that I have a slight high pitched noise coming from my diff.

I changed to a cusco LSD and had toyota adjust the r&p backlash.
I also have prothane bushings in the 4-links.

I don't know if it was there before and that I just never noticed it.
But I started hearing it for the first time after a driftday.

You hear it when you accelerate. In other words, when there is force put on the r&p.

Should I worry or is it "normal"?
Find all posts by this user
12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Diff noise?
Hi mate,

I also recently rebuild my differential with shorter Final gear ratio, 2way KAAZ LSD and new bearings, and beside the LSD run-in noises i also can hear a scratching noise but nothing to worry about since is all still too new and stretched.

I will only take some action after some km...

Keeping the AE86 alive!
12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Diff noise?
das redelijk normaal omdat die evrtandingen anders liggen dan standaard, de wrijving is iets groter en er komt meer 'stress' en kracht op maar maak je maar geen zorgen Wink die kunne da gerust aan Wink zoek maar een paar filmpjes op van driftbakken die zoemen allemaal en nog luiser als de jouwe denk ik zelf Wink

Love it or hate. It still is and still stays a beautifal car!!! Oooohw how I love the Ae86

You have the right to remain stupid !!! Toyota for life !!!
12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Diff noise?
i think so...

Keeping the AE86 alive!
12-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Diff noise?
Snakeview Wrote:das redelijk normaal omdat die evrtandingen anders liggen dan standaard, de wrijving is iets groter en er komt meer 'stress' en kracht op maar maak je maar geen zorgen Wink die kunne da gerust aan Wink zoek maar een paar filmpjes op van driftbakken die zoemen allemaal en nog luiser als de jouwe denk ik zelf Wink

ff in het engels:

What do you mean with "other gear ratio" I just took the ring off the stock lsd and put it on the cusco lsd. So the gearing is the same.

I also went for a ride yesterday and noticed that the sound gets worse/louder at 100/120kmh and you can hear it even with the clutch pushed in. (so no force from the motor on the ring and pinion.
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Diff noise?
I have that too like a dragging noise, guys from toyota maasmechelen told me it was because my lsd is worn but it still locks up good so i don't worry about it. I didn't hear it either till i took out the rear interior.

Seeing as your lsd is brand new i think it's just regular diff noise

No Smorking AE86
01-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Diff noise?
the ring and pinion is the old set?
it is probably a lot of wear on the face of the gears.
sounds like you might need a new gear set

Max

[email protected]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Diff noise?
Indeed, maybe the setup from Toyota wasn't perfect, a slightly offset toothpattern and your gear starts to make more and more noise after 1000-2000km.
01-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Diff noise?
You don't have to worry until your R&P sounds not like mine: http://www.drifter.hu/index2.php?video_p...&mod=video

Smile
Note that I use my AE86 only on track so I don't really care but for daily use this diff noise is hard to stand...

1987 Toyota Corolla GT coupe - for holidays oversteer
2005 Toyota Corolla - for daily understeer
01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Diff noise?
It's not supposed to make any noise, not when it's freshly installed. You really should consider taking it out and remeasuring the backlash and contact pattern. Noise means something is making contact in the wrong way.. which also means things will wear out faster. A risk I would not prefer to take on such an expensive set of parts.

My old diff used to be totally quiet, except for a very faint little whine at high speeds (which was acceptable to me).
Anyway..you dont have to take the diff apart to measure backlash and pattern, so it's not like you'll ruin anything.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TRD Short Shifter Rattle Noise, It's Normal? Mattolo 19 17,218 04-27-2024 10:04 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Clicking noise from glove box chrisae86 4 1,404 09-08-2022 11:36 PM
Last Post: chrisae86
  Noise Insulation for AE86 decryphe 1 3,673 11-03-2016 11:51 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Whining noise HELP PLEASE izanagi 10 11,001 03-26-2015 06:48 PM
Last Post: Komba
  Whining noise only in 4th & 5th. izanagi 7 9,538 09-25-2014 07:09 PM
Last Post: Uzelac