Coilover Question (Differences)
06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I would like to ask a question about the coils.

I am going to try explain my self clearly Smile

I saw many brands of coil and then I saw a differences between them for rear section.

XYZ and KSport's rear section coils are combined (shocks and springs) but Megan or Tein brands are seperate type.

What is the real differences between them, can I use 2 types of them for my car?

Here is some pics what i am talking about.

Megan Racing

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Coilover Question (Differences)]

Ksport #KS-T08

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Coilover Question (Differences)]
Find all posts by this user
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
This Ksport set is not for the ae86 for sure.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
06-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Only difference is that the rears are coilovers with the K-sport/D2 and seperate shock/springs on the megan.
But there is also a difference on the front, the k-sport/d2 just bolt on you existing strut and the megan need cutting and welding

No Smorking AE86
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes as i remember, K-sport are also seperate type. Most of the ae86 coilovers are seperate type for rear. When going combined at the rear, some reinforcments are required for the upper strut mount (possibly also the bottom), because now the load is not taken directly from the axle to the oem chassis spring mounting place, which is reinforced, but instead it is delivered on that litle perch of the axle to the quite weak shock upper mount. And besides that, i think because of the geometry change, the axle might get twist-back-force everytime its under load, putting more stress on the entire rear ensemble.

I think combined type should be used only for a fully build race car with fully welded/caged chassis.. For all other aplications, seperate type is fine.

I stand to be corrected Big Grin
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
you are absolutelly right, but as said in my opinion this Ksport coilover on the picture is not for Ae86, front has diferent housings whit bracket to mount separate spindle and the rear uper mount would not fit in stock chassis. it looks more as an s13 kit. So be carefull what you order from those chinese companies.

in my opinion custom made springs + HTS+spacers are better option

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Thank yo so much for advice I did not know anythin about the illustration pic Can be s13 to LOL Big Grin

In Turkey we dont have many choises so I just find someone who is going to buy XYZ or Megan for us.

So I am going to get seperate one Thank you so much guys Smile
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Ops...

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Here is AE86 K-Sport

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ae86%...5/ae86.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/ae86%...ell073.jpg

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Serencebey Wrote:Thank yo so much for advice I did not know anythin about the illustration pic Can be s13 to LOL Big Grin

In Turkey we dont have many choises so I just find someone who is going to buy XYZ or Megan for us.

So I am going to get seperate one Thank you so much guys Smile

Again, old-nmwisima was right :wink: :wink:

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Coilover Question (Differences)] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Apolan Wrote:When going combined at the rear, some reinforcments are required for the upper strut mount (possibly also the bottom), because now the load is not taken directly from the axle to the oem chassis spring mounting place, which is reinforced, but instead it is delivered on that litle perch of the axle to the quite weak shock upper mount. And besides that, i think because of the geometry change, the axle might get twist-back-force everytime its under load, putting more stress on the entire rear ensemble.

Ah, but the shock is there to dampen de movements of the body/suspension under influence of forces (inc spring). You are suggesting that externally mounted springs reduce the forces that the damper handles..I don't see how that could happen?
Actually, I think that the forces involved with and without coilovers are roughly the same.. You could even argue that a large part of the forces from the spring are absorbed directly by the shock and don't need to travel through the body to reach the shock. That would reduce the loads...hmm

The urban legend (it does sound plausible/logical after all) has been around for quite a while. But untill I see a torn shockmount (on a picture or the rear of my coilover equipped car) I wouldn't worry one second.

The part about the twistback force I don't understand.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clutch differences LUK vs Exedy r.ave 2 4,457 05-27-2021 09:30 AM
Last Post: r.ave
  4AGE block differences explained (incl. some eyecandy) Bean 46 82,308 05-05-2019 04:03 AM
Last Post: Rocker100
  DIY Coilover sketchy 8 12,361 04-01-2013 11:00 PM
Last Post: sketchy
  Coilover shock replacement phill 92 9 10,785 08-28-2012 08:46 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  Coilover help phill 92 9 9,217 05-22-2012 01:10 AM
Last Post: MCNSPORT.com