Clutch Master Cylinder..how to remove?
10-09-2006, 11:29 AM
This weekend I found out my clutch master cylinder died on me... Some time ago I had disassembled my brake system (to rebuild calipers) and from that time on my clutch pedal felt completely numb. Actually I thought that the hydraulic assisted cluth and the brake system were combined (my idea was supported by the fact a lot of steel brakeline kits also contain a clutchline...) but they are two separate systems.

When I press my clutchpedal, they is absolutely no resistance whatsoever. When I loosened the bleeding valve on the slave cylinder it started leaking fluid, but when I pressed the pedal it didn't come out as you would expect, it kept dripping, not more, not less.

So now I tried to remove my clutch master cylinder bij loosening the two bolts it's fitted with. One in inside the car, above of the clutchpedal. But the other one is in the engine compartment, fitted to the firewall behind the brake booster.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove that one without taking the entire brake booster off? I can reach it with wrench, but there's no room to turn it. Is there a trick to pull this job?

Why motorsports? Because other sports require only one ball!
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I did this work recently, got some footage of it...

What you have to do is unscrew the master brake cilinder booster from inside the car, 4 screws, not so easy to come to... Then you move aside the booster and unscrew the 12 size nut...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Clutch Master Cylinder..how to remove?]

BUT I would check the slave cilinder first because it is easyer to remove and repair... than if everything is not in order, go with the master...

slave

here it is

i repaired my whole hidraulic sistem on my car a month ago...[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Clutch Master Cylinder..how to remove?]
all brake calipers, master brake cylinder, master and slave clutch... everything... Smile It costed somewhere around 100€ (i did it bymyself with original Toyota rubbers )
Probably your master cilinder has weak rubers and the oil is going in the opposite direction... Your pedal is probably wet with oil in the inside of the car... or you have oil leekadge underneeth the cilinder...

SNO-MO-BIRU project started- CHIRO
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
yes, it is possible...

I rebuilt mine a few days ago, and I was actually going to write a post that i wanted to sue TOYOTA for making it so difficult ;-)

To remove the the clutch master cylinder by making it slide between the stud and the the brake booster, you have to push the stud in a bit.

You can go inside the car, and put something like a big screwdriver inbetween the firewall and the clutch pedal assembly, which will bend it back a bit, pulling the stud inside a bit, which will give you enough room between the stud and the brake booster to pull out the clutch master cylinder....

On one of my hachis I have actually filed the stud down a little bit, which
makes changing the clutch master cylinder easy...

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
It's possible to replace the clutch master cylinder without having to remove the servo unit.

There's just about enough room to get a small spanner on the nut inside the car. Tricky and laborious though.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort in changing the rubbers. I've done this a couple of times over the years, and they don't last long. Maybe a year or so, and it'll need doing again.

As an alternative, an AE92 master cylinder can be used, as it's the same size. Although it has 2 studs, just unscrew one and ream the threaded hole out a bit, so it slides over the stud on the bulkhead.

http://www.AE86imports.0catch.com
11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I would try to get an ebay replacement or similar rebuilt master. Overhauling is often more expensive and will last shorter. For example the brake master cil repair set cost 110 euro's here, I bought 2 completely rebuilt ones later for 10 dollars a piece...go figure..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,225 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Brake advice - master cylinder mannix20vt 12 12,783 08-21-2017 03:21 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Correct connection brake master cylinder? bozu 5 6,735 07-26-2015 12:28 PM
Last Post: bozu
  torque setting head cylinder bolts izanagi 1 4,508 05-29-2015 01:23 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy