Body improvement
09-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Body improvement
Hey boys!

Its a thing, disturbing me the whole time, when im improoving the brakes, suspension, steering, which are supposed to be the MOST important on the car.
But every time my car goes to be serviced I hear the same advice: "It is too old, the metal has weakened. Dont push it to the limit!". Of course I cannot NOT push it, but what can be done to a 22 years old body, to resist the crazy driving.
Things I've done so far - rust removal + new painting.

What I mean is something like this in the engine

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Body improvement]

but also very important at the rear, which is the worst at the moment.
Do u have some ideas, pics...?
Greets!
El

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Body improvement
Get a Roll cage...that should take care of the center section of your car. You could run the front bars of the rollcage through the firewall and connect them to the front strut towers, and then connect the strut towers together with a strut brace (triangular if you want it extra sturdy). You dont need to reinforce anything in front of the front strut towers.
Same story for the rear, make sure your rollcage bars go all the way to the rear shock mounting places, and weld it together, eventually adding a bar between the shock absorber mountings.
This should make your car as strong as it is going to get within reason.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Body improvement
Rollcage is the thing I dont want to put in this car, as I'm planing to use it everyday and as a first car (will never use another, after have the Ae86)...

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Body improvement
Then just use a triangular strut bar in the front and accept the fact that old chassis' have some flex in them...

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Body improvement
You can use a tri-bar front, a tri-bar rear and a half cage at the back of the cabin so you dont have to wear a helmet

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Body improvement] http://www.jdmbits.com
09-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Body improvement
yeah and below the gearbox too

09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Body improvement
When removing the rust from the back, I saw many places, that can be fixed harder. For example all the points where the rear axle connects the body, the tunnel under and in the middel of the body - there are many points I believe, but I will be glad to get advice from somebody who have done, or seen something similar...

09-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Body improvement
theres a thread some where here last time,use the search button

09-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Body improvement
Just improving the mounting places moves the weak points a little further..not much to be gained that way.Having said that:
Strutbraces are always a good idea on older McPherson cars..can have quite an impact.
Foam can be a nice improvement, but at the cost of extra rust sensitivity.

Other then that, there is not a lot you can do without making the car very heavy..Best way of stiffening something is working along the directions of the forces that are imposed on it. That means tubes going through the whole car.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Body improvement
Front & Rear strut brace + some seam spot welding?
You can push em hard but some older 86s start to flex

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 Body Panels - From Other Toyotas? yellowsnow4free 5 7,336 01-24-2013 04:19 AM
Last Post: yellowsnow4free
  wide body / wheel question ae86driftmaster 2 4,161 06-16-2011 12:38 PM
Last Post: Super86
  Body kit Choices. Spyider 3 5,157 02-04-2010 08:31 PM
Last Post: Spyider
  fiberglass body parts @ poland PatrickAE86 26 22,897 12-20-2009 02:46 PM
Last Post: Eric
  ke70 body lochun 9 13,502 11-28-2009 12:01 AM
Last Post: lochun