Bloody EML
04-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Bloody EML
Any help on this.

Had a code 4 when flashing the EML light. Have changed the green temp sensor at the back of the head. Disconnected battery and then re attached.
Went to start and started it's same shit. Hard to turn over from cold having to pump the gas and will get going but the EML light is still on.

Go to flash the EML light and it's a solid light with no codes. ?‍♂️

Any help or experience on this?

going to try retiming the car to see if that helps or not.
Find all posts by this user
04-14-2018, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2018 01:01 PM by Dave W.)
Bloody EML
If you are having problems with starting when the engine is cold, verify you have fuel pressure. [ fuel pressure should not bleed down ] The cold start temp sensor is the large brown one. Verify that you have current going to the cold start injector plug. Then verify current is getting to the sensor. Next ground out the sensor plug. If the engine does not start you probably need a new injector, if it does start then you should replace the temp sensor. Note both injector and sensor are $$$$. Dave W
04-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Bloody EML
Thanks Dave,

All the stuff I could find pointed to the green one being the ECU coolant temp sensor and that was related to cold temp? Do you happen to have the part number for the brown one to hand? I might have a spare that I'll switch over and try. If that fails I'll follow what you've said. Cheers for that.
04-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Bloody EML
To avoid any confusion, the green one is the water temperature sensor for
the ECU, and the brown one is the cold start injector time switch. Its job is
to connect 12V to the cold start injector when cranking a cold engine. It has
a bi-metallic strip inside that stops the injector from adding fuel when the
engine is hot. It will also stop the injector from adding fuel after a number
of cranking sessions to try and prevent flooding.

The cold start injector only supplies fuel while cranking, so the easiest way
to see if it is working is to pull the injector out of the manifold and crank the
engine while it's cold. Put the end of the injector in the neck of an empty
bottle to avoid spraying petrol around.

Cheers... jondee86

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.
04-21-2018, 11:00 PM
Bloody EML
I've replace the brown sensor with one from my old engine and she fires up first time and dies a se kind or so after. BUT I don't need to pump the gas pedal like before. Give it a quick blip now to get it going. Going to check and see what the throttle body screws etc are like as I know these have been messed with. EML light is still on but again, no codes. It's either an issue or I'm starting to think it's stuck on lol. But getting there slowly.

Cheers for the help so far!