Anyone running a CA18DET?
09-27-2013, 12:04 AM
I've got a Levin. The bonnet is sitting on the cam cover. I'm using flipside customs engine mount kit. Is this typical?
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2013, 09:34 AM
We had a CA18DET in our trueno (which has more of an incline on the hood, so even less space I suspect). It had a bit of webbing cut out of the hood to clear the throttle body, which IIRC was the most intrusive extremity of the engine. This was with DIY engine mounts. Glad I never have to work on that engine again, unreliable as f*ck. Hope you have better luck with it, it's a true beast when it runs right.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2013, 10:29 AM
I would cut my bonnet webbing but it's made of carbon fibre and is pretty flexible as it is. I don't think it'll have enough strength.

The cam cover isn't easily removed as it has the CAS mounted on it.
09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
we run 2 ke70s with ca18det, one with custom crossmember and engine mount, that position the engine lower and further back as usual, the other has a modified ke70 crossmember, we moved the little turrets on the crossemember so the engine clears everything, the engine was roatated a little to the right so the inteke plenum isnt that high. this is the easiest way i think.
additional informations: we used IFA truck cabin mounts as engine bushings, they are low, about 3-4cm thick. might solve your problems alltogether.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Ouch..after spending 600$ on an engine mount kit you'd hope it fits.

I'd say that's pretty typical for a yank bolt in kit. Just add 40mm subframe spacers and you'll have the complete US dumb-ass engine mount kit.

To be clear..the people designing them this way are the dumb asses.

Also: buying the bolt in kit for an engine that's so easy to swap (nearly bolt in) I assume you're not technical enough to redo the entire mount config. In that case the subframe spacers are the easiest way to get it to fit. Keep em as small as possible and it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Use the biggest RCA's AJPS has on offer (aussie company offering the longest RCA's I've seen so far).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-27-2013, 02:30 PM
I bought the car like it is. I'd rather not mess about dropping the subframe.

With the cam cover removed it's clear. Maybe i'll just hack it up, it'll look rubbish.
09-27-2013, 08:18 PM
I've done a combination of raising the bonnet at the rear and, filing down the fibreglass webbing on the bonnet as much as I dared and hacking a chunk out of the cam cover. It doesn't look pretty but needs must. Function over form and all that