Ae86 newbie
02-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Ae86 newbie
So I’ve been in the rotary game for awhile, now I switch to the corolla game! Super excited!! So now I found this beautiful find of an ae86 with a 3tc engine swapped in it. I want to clean her up and add some parts, possible turbo. As far as now, I’d like to upgrade the radiator and install the power steering back in with the Ac. Soo please all experience corolla brother help me out on the right direction. All website info and inputs will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Ae86 newbie
Welcome to the club !
First thing to check with the steering is the rack that you already have, do you know if it is a power steering rack that has been de-powered (look for fluid pipes around the housing) or if it is a manual rack conversion ?
Most on here will tell you to keep the manual rack, personally I find the car so much nicer and easier to drive with power steering.

An analogue brain in a digital World
02-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Ae86 newbie
(02-08-2018 04:43 PM)totta Crolla Wrote:  Welcome to the club !
First thing to check with the steering is the rack that you already have, do you know if it is a power steering rack that has been de-powered (look for fluid pipes around the housing) or if it is a manual rack conversion ?
Most on here will tell you to keep the manual rack, personally I find the car so much nicer and easier to drive with power steering.

Hey man thanks for the feedback, could you possible show me a visual on a power steering rack. I also feel it’s nicer to drive with power steering. Thanks my man

02-08-2018, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 10:57 PM by totta Crolla.)
Ae86 newbie
(02-08-2018 10:26 PM)malflip1 Wrote:  

Hey man thanks for the feedback, could you possible show me a visual on a power steering rack. I also feel it’s nicer to drive with power steering. Thanks my man

The top rack is power steering

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Ae86 newbie
Welcome to the club! Wave
Not sure if it's something you seek but as you mention turbo charging your 3T-C, some Japanese Toyotas featured a 3T-GTE and someone around here is selling one:
http://www.aeu86.org/forum/Thread-3TGTE

Out of the box it's a nice as it's turbo charged, has twin spark and makes about 160hp, but don't expect magic from this engine: it's supposedly a beast to find (proper) tuning parts for. Even in Japan there are no tuning companies specialized in this engine.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ae86 newbie]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2018, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 01:11 AM by malflip1.)
Ae86 newbie
(02-08-2018 10:54 PM)totta Crolla Wrote:  

so it seems to have the power steering rack. Still feels stiff though. Haven’t checked for fluid. But if they did depowered it. What’s the next step and which fluid should I use. Thanks

(02-09-2018 12:50 AM)malflip1 Wrote:  
(02-08-2018 10:54 PM)totta Crolla Wrote:  

so it seems to have the power steering rack. Still feels stiff though. Haven’t checked for fluid. But if they did depowered it. What’s the next step and which fluid should I use. Thanks

found these two lines are cut, which I’m assuming is relative to the power steering. Are these steel or rubber hoses? Where do they connect. Sorry to bother but I want to rebuild it. Engine still turns on and runs strong. But she’s been neglected for awhile. As with the tranny. Thanks my man.

02-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Ae86 newbie
(02-08-2018 10:58 PM)banpei Wrote:  Welcome to the club! Wave
Not sure if it's something you seek but as you mention turbo charging your 3T-C, some Japanese Toyotas featured a 3T-GTE and someone around here is selling one:
http://www.aeu86.org/forum/Thread-3TGTE

Out of the box it's a nice as it's turbo charged, has twin spark and makes about 160hp, but don't expect magic from this engine: it's supposedly a beast to find (proper) tuning parts for. Even in Japan there are no tuning companies specialized in this engine.

Hey man thanks for that info. Tried opening the page, but wouldn’t let me open. I’ll try later.

02-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Ae86 newbie
Welcome! Got some pictures of your car?

I have some AC parts for sale, let me know if you're interested.

AE86 Levin
02-09-2018, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 01:39 PM by malflip1.)
Ae86 newbie
(02-09-2018 09:08 AM)bozu Wrote:  Welcome! Got some pictures of your car?

. Def interested in the Ac. Is it the whole system? Thanks my bro

(02-09-2018 01:38 PM)malflip1 Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 09:08 AM)bozu Wrote:  Welcome! Got some pictures of your car?

. Def interested in the Ac. Is it the whole system? Thanks my bro

some more pics, just got her on Tuesday

02-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Ae86 newbie
Having a power steering rack already fitted makes your job so much easier Wink
Those two steel pipes connect to the power steering pump.
If you search on this forum you can find the factory service manual (FSM) and the power steering is covered in some detail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4age newbie having some idle issues. help!! honda_what? 5 5,322 04-12-2010 12:55 PM
Last Post: honda_what?
  Newbie trying to diagnose trans+shaft+LSD status. Dr.Ling 6 5,481 04-21-2008 03:01 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  Just some newbie questions keons5 3 3,896 02-05-2008 10:13 AM
Last Post: NoHachi
  Newbie with some questions! byd1380 2 3,300 02-23-2006 09:08 AM
Last Post: Ivan141