Adjustable Cam Gears - What to buy?
05-28-2007, 09:47 PM
ok .... lets make it a real topic.

First any brand is just a brand most are manufactered the same way.

Second why do you need cam gears ........... You gotte be doing some wild things needing those......

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
The cam wheels have visual appearance value also Big Grin
Indeed you need them in few situations (for example - seriously shaved head or block).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, in my case i will need them because i increased the compression ratio to 11:1.

As you should know, i must compensate the timming in order to optimize the engine performance.

I think i will try the DIY mode...
05-29-2007, 10:20 AM
curious as I am with what will you raise the compression to 11:1 (have a few ideas myselve because I want it as well)

But still you can do alot with the ignition timing alone.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
05-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, to be more specific i will shave my head 0,5 mm and fit a 0,5 mm TRD head gasket.

If the original headgasket has 1 mm (i'm not sure) and if the original CR is 10.0 (i'm also not sure) i will get a new CR of 11.2.

However, if you fit a 0,8 mm TRD headgasket you will get a CR of 10.8 (with the head shaved 0,5 mm of course).
05-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I just want to ask one thing. What make you think the cam timing will off when you shaved the head. Since the TDC and BDC with be the same (you did not shave the block). The cam timing is stall remain the same (you just shave the head means the compression area is smaller).

What is adj. cam gera for? It is for cam dialing purpose. If you are using performance camshaft, The duration, lift, cam lobe center is different from the stock one. Since the opening, closing, overlapping and lift of the valve overrange the stock cam gear, you need to use a cam gear to dialing the camshaft timing to match the TDC and BDC.

One the other hand, the cheapest adj cams gear in the market right now is TRD. They are only 65 USD each. But you will not what to use it. It is because the cam gear is not sliding type. The TRD one only have addition 6 hole you can adjust and there is no degree guage on the cams gear.

The little meter that on the cam gear means nothing to us since we dialing the camshaft to find the right timing of the camshaft. The cam dialing is a secret weapon for tuning the power band of the motor in the old days. For our shop, we can use the same camshaft to come up either more torque or more horsepower in what rpm range. One time, the motor get and additional 15 hosrepower by just doing the cam dialing.

Maxwell Arancon
Vice President
PASS RACING INC
148 S.8th Ave, Unit-F
City of Industry, USA
[email protected]
http://www.passracing.com
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Adjustable Cam Gears - What to buy?]
05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Quote: What make you think the cam timing will off when you shaved the head. Since the TDC and BDC with be the same (you did not shave the block). The cam timing is stall remain the same (you just shave the head means the compression area is smaller).

Not agree. Shaving head or block result in cam timing offset (imagine cam belt position + lowering the head + stretch tight the cam belt).
05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
That's right Jamie.

I also agree with Max in this

Quote:The little meter that on the cam gear means nothing to us since we dialing the camshaft to find the right timing of the camshaft.

That's also what i use to do, i have no interest in the degrees marks.

Quote:One the other hand, the cheapest adj cams gear in the market right now is TRD. They are only 65 USD each. But you will not what to use it. It is because the cam gear is not sliding type. The TRD one only have addition 6 hole you can adjust and there is no degree guage on the cams gear.

This means you only can choose between 1 of those 6 points? You don't have an infinitely number of setting available as in the slidding type ones.
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.billzilla.org/engvalve.htm

and take a look here:
06-04-2007, 01:19 AM
jamiemirror

Yes, I am wrong. The cam timing is change one you shaving the head. Thank you for letting me know.

Maxwell Arancon
Vice President
PASS RACING INC
148 S.8th Ave, Unit-F
City of Industry, USA
[email protected]
http://www.passracing.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,572 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  Cam Cap Bolt Snapped!! Alex170984 1 3,410 06-08-2018 01:17 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  HKS 260 8.0 Cam Card d3nso 5 6,319 02-14-2018 08:29 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  suspicious TRD cam ;) fax0815 6 9,244 02-02-2013 09:44 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Adjustable steering column 4000GT 6 7,734 07-12-2012 08:15 AM
Last Post: 4000GT