AE86 sideskirt fastenings.
06-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I understand how the ends are held on, thats easy. But my car didn't come with the factory sideskirts so im wondering how toyota fastened them to the sills. If anyone could show me pics I would be very grateful.

I feel like im hogging the forum but there is so much information here and im keen to learn. And im contributing also.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Don't have pic, but they were fastened on with grommets and self tapper hex head screws. If you position the skirt up to the sill, mark the holes and drill, then file out square for grommets.

Listen to the whine.
Not just a carbon copy.
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2007, 02:19 PM
the stock sideskirts I believe are fastened by screws along the sides, so there are some thingies put into the sills into which you can put screws.. dont have picture though.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
06-02-2007, 10:41 PM
thanks guys. I know exactly what you are talking about. I was thinking about molding them onto the car but then you couldn't take off the front guards.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Just use double sided tape inc screws in the easy mounting locations. Way more rustproof then the selftappers (which are utter crap).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
06-03-2007, 10:59 AM
NoHachi,

Thats why I desided not to put the sideskirts on, didn't want to damage the seals.

Double side tape I wouldn't use though, that stuff doesn't last. I saw and episode of punk my ride (yeah that stupid show with JayZ that sometimes catches my eye when zapping) where a guy actually put on a body kit with double sided tape. Hilarious!Smile

A tip I once got is use the glue that they use to mount the front window. You can get it in most auto shops. It comes with a primer that you put on both parts with a brush, and then you just kit it together. Stuff is supposed to work really good.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I think the industrial strength tape will last as long as it takes, you have doublesided tape that is used for the exact same application as the kit you mention: window mounting.
But even if it doesn't last, the skirts are still attached with 2 nuts/bolts so no problemo. Tape or kit, both are a good way of attaching those skirts.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Silicon glue for car windows... black stuff.

Here everybody uses it for spoilers, sideskirts and everything else plastic that you want to put on your car.

My rear spoiler is on with that... really strong, flexible, water proof, rust proof.. and you can take it off without damaging the paint.

Toyota scrap yard car park = AE92GTi - AE82GT - KE30 - KP62
06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
meshin Wrote:Silicon glue for car windows... black stuff.

Here everybody uses it for spoilers, sideskirts and everything else plastic that you want to put on your car.

My rear spoiler is on with that... really strong, flexible, water proof, rust proof.. and you can take it off without damaging the paint.

Great! Thumbs up! I still got them in my car. If I want to put my sideskirts on my car I will try them. Thanks!

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver